Windows Desktop App Blank Screen

AS the title says, since the 2nd/3rd September the spotify desktop app is dead, each time I load it up I get a useless blank screen, can't log in/out, play music I can't do anything other than exit it, zoom in and out and turn hardware acceleration on and off, tried loads of different suggestions from the community forums but nothing works for me, dealt with the support on twitter and their no help either, time to cancel my subscription atfer 7years of premium membership.

Hey folks, 

Thanks for bearing with us. We can confirm this has now been fixed by our tech team. The latest version of Spotify should resolve this for anyone still having trouble.

If anyone's still affected by this, after reinstalling the app, we'd recommend creating a new thread for further investigation. 

Thanks!

Comments
DrBunker
Music Fan

I've just had to reinstall Spotify (because of another really annoying issue!! https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Windows/Random-pausing-with-quot-can-t-play-the-current-son...) and, lo and behold, it looks like it's working. 

I did get an initial Windows pop error, something about not being able to find the installation, but once I okayed that and opened Spotify again all seemed to be well.

Melody
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey folks,

Thanks for letting us know this, @DrBunker. We're happy to hear things are up and running for you now.

As the team have looked into things here, if you're still experiencing this it's likely that this is no longer related to the initial issue.

In which case, if you are still having trouble could you let us know:
- Are you running any cache-clearing/force-quitting apps or programs?
- Does restoring your 'Screen Settings' help?
- Do you have any firewalls or blockers enabled which could be interfering with things?
- Can you send us a screenshot of your Spotify version? (If you're able to view this)
- Can you send us an up-to-date screenshot/video of the issue as it is now for you?

We understand we have asked some of these questions before, but we'd like to gather the most recent info we can for those having trouble.

Many thanks,

/M

DrBunker
Music Fan

Unfortunately I spoke too soon. After a resent system restart, Spotify began updating itself (as it seems to want to do every time I run it) and it then ceases to work. The only solution is to move the entire folder structure to my local drive which then works perfectly. The definition of a workaround. 

kiwanda
Regular

As we've all been saying all along, this is a specific problem with the Windows roaming profile in a networked environment and likely due to the fact that Spotify insists on storing its settings in the roaming profile. If we could only have some control over where it was stored (i.e. locally on C:) that would probably solve the problem. 

The week I set up another PC in my office, using the same hardware, network, and OS, but configured to use a local profile instead of roaming. I then installed the current version of Spotify and guess what? It worked perfectly.  I was able to do this because I have friends in IT and an extra machine-- but there's no way they are going to change the network standards for 4,000+ users so people can use Spotify. 

In my workplace I know at least ten people who have given up on Spotify due to this specific issue and migrated to Pandora or other services. I don't understand why it has been so hard to grasp the fact that the problem is due to Spotify attaching itself to roaming profiles, and the simple solution is to allow users to locate it somewhere else-- much easier that changing the network profiles for everyone in a corporate environment.

Chris
Spotify
Spotify
Status changed to: Fixed

Hey folks, 

Thanks for bearing with us. We can confirm this has now been fixed by our tech team. The latest version of Spotify should resolve this for anyone still having trouble.

If anyone's still affected by this, after reinstalling the app, we'd recommend creating a new thread for further investigation. 

Thanks!

Related Issues