iOS 9 and Spotify using too much data

iOS 9 and Spotify using too much data

I've noticed my cellular data usage going through the roof recently, although I can't pinpoint it to a specific point in time.

Clearing mobile data statistics in iOS and playing 1 song in Spotify equates to 9MB-14MB of data usage per song.

Has anyone else experienced this? I've tested it over several devices, several Spotify accounts and same issue. Streaming quality is set to normal.

Thanks.

Hello @pabs1010

I have set this as not an issue as this is expected behavior, when using Spotify you stream songs unless you have made these songs available offline 🙂

I suggest using WiFi or makeing frequantly played tracks available offline

Have An Awesome Day! 

Comments
Weymo
Casual Listener

I had this issue about 2 months ago...threw me way over my data plan.  Once upon a time Spotify would stream over wifi from your home music collection.  Set the app to wifi only...you may be astonished how often your phone wanders off your home wifi.  Apple must be in bed with carriers because there is just no excuse for it...I have many other devices at home that stay connected nearly 24/7 and yet iPhone after iPhone just can't seem to manage it.  "Plug it in" they say (doesn't matter.)  "It must be fighting against some radio noise." (It's not.)  "Maybe you have a bad antennae. (Nope...it's engineered to make someone else a lot of money.)

When the product is free...you are the product.

Spotify's crap ad-tastic mes has just about lost all its listeners.  I guess inking that deal with Sony was the last nail in the coffin.

UpFromTheSKies
Casual Listener

When you play a song in an album or playlist, the entire album or playlist is added to your play queue, and spotify automaticaly starts downloading all of the songs in the queue as a way of buffering, so if you lose your connection momentarily it will keep playing. So far as I can tell there is no option to change this.

jean3601
Community Legend
Status changed to: Not An Issue

Hello @pabs1010

I have set this as not an issue as this is expected behavior, when using Spotify you stream songs unless you have made these songs available offline 🙂

I suggest using WiFi or makeing frequantly played tracks available offline

Have An Awesome Day! 

pabs1010
Casual Listener
I don't think it's expected behaviour. Isn't the official data usage from Spotify roughly 1GB of data for roughly 20hrs of music on Normal Streaming?

If 1 song is 10MB of Data usage then 1000/10 = 100 * 5minutes per song (being generous) = 500 / 60 minutes = 8hrs of playback.

I've never had an issue for the 2yrs I've been using it until recently.

Also, on a side note, a 4 minutes Youtube video is roughly 12MB so I'm not sure why a streaming audio clip would be the same.

jean3601
Community Legend

Hey @pabs1010

I think the reason you may be experiencing the hiked data usage is due to this issue here, it causes for Spotify to download album covers 🙂

Weymo
Casual Listener

Hilarious.  Who is running dev?

Related Issues