Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] App closes and redirects to Safari

Hey everyone,

We're receiving reports from users that when they open the app, it closes and they got redirected to Safari in order to download the app.

If you’re experiencing this issue, make sure to add your +VOTE and follow the instructions in the Status Update below.

We'll be keeping everyone up to speed here, so make sure to subscribe to this thread!

Hey folks,

Thanks for your patience while we looked into this issue.

We’re happy to say that this should now be fixed for everyone! Just make sure your app is updated to the latest version.

If you're still having trouble, make sure to post a new thread in the relevant help board here.

Thanks!

Comments
PicklesTheCow

Does anyone have any idea why my Spotify app won’t actually let me play music?

Whenever I try open the app it immediately redirects me to safari, more specifically, Spotify.app.link which then redirects me to the App Store which then redirects me to the app which then redirects me to Spotify.app.link…I’m sure you get the picture. I can’t actually get to play any music. 

I’ve done a clean install three times. And I’ve deleted the app multiple times as well. I’ve also deleted Instagram and have not reinstalled it yet (I saw somewhere that Instagram sometimes causes issues). And I’ve cleared the app cache twice, rebooted my phone constantly and I still cannot play any music. I’ve also logged out all devices that were once logged into my Spotify account. 

This is a recent issue that just popped up today. I’m wondering if anyone else is or has experienced it? Is there a solution that I’m missing or could this be a potential bug I’ll have to wait out before I can go near the app again? If so, this might be time to unsubscribe from premium until the problem is fixed. 

If it’s any help, I’m using an IPhone 12 and all the software is up to date. 

Plan

Premium

Thank you! And I appreciate all the help I’m given. 

dito2023

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

iPhone X

Operating System

iOS 14

My Question or Issue

Every time I open the spotify app it automatically takes me to an endless loop of opening safari, which asks “open in spotify?” If i select yes, the loop starts all over. I’ve tried deleting the app, I’ve tried deleting instagram and snapchat on the offchance there was a faulty link i clicked, but nothing seems to work. I can’t do a full reinstall because spotify won’t even let me open the app. Please help!

OneByBoo

Hi @PicklesTheCow,

thanks for reaching out !

First of all in case you're having issues opening the app, I'd recommend restarting your device and trying logging in with a different Spotify account.

In addition, i'm pointing out this thread which holds a solution for what appears to be the same issue.

Let me know how it goes 🙂

PicklesTheCow

Hi @OneByBoo Thank you for your reply! 

I've restarted my phone (again) and since I do not have a second account, I have contacted my sister to see if I can log in with her account. Thank you for pointing me towards the other thread. I followed the instructions again, and tried another clean install and emptied the cache once more. Unfortunately it didn't really seem to work.

I know that it's completely out of your hands so I appreciate your help! Interestingly enough, the issue seems to come and go as it pleases. As of right now, the longest time I've been able to use the app is for 2 minutes and I think this is a bug. I'm wondering if it would be possible to point me in the direction of submitting a bug report? 

Many thanks,

Pickles 

avercruysse

I’m having the exact same issue, making the app unusable. The link I’m taken to is this

https://spotify.app.link/?product=open&%24full_url=https%3A%2F%2Fopen.spotify.com%2Fsettings%3Fgo%3D... 

BambiBananas15
I'm having the same exact issue. I can't do a clean reinstall because I literally can't be on the app for more than 1 second before it opens safari and then the app store. Just randomly started happening today. I restarted my phone and uninstalled/redownloaded the app. Any solutions yet?
Ribosome

I'm having the same issue. I was able to do a clean reinstall but even after that I run into the same issue almost immediately. Sometimes it stops looping me just enough for me to play a song, but then continues to loop me again.

lecira

Also having the exact same issue. I've also tried reinstalling a couple times, including a clean reinstall and it didn't help.

kwarry

I'm facing the exact same problem. I've clean reinstalled Spotify twice, but the problem persists; whenever I open Spotify, I'm redirected to a Safari link that tells me to open the app, but when I open the app I'm redirected to Safari. Even when I cancel, the app continues to redirect me. 

I'm on an iPhone 11 with a premium subscription. Perhaps it's time to switch to Apple Music?

Sdpf

The same issue just started for me.