[iOS] App crashing/draining battery rapidly

Plan

Premium

Country

US

Device

iPhone 8 iOS: 14.2

My Question or Issue

Since the last Spotify update it has crashed constantly. I can hardly make it through a song without it crashing. And it rapidly drains battery all of a sudden. And my background refresh is off. So I have tried restarting my phone, I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling, as well as logging out and logging back in. None of this happened until this last update. Anyone else?

Hey there folks,

We really appreciate you sharing your reports in the Community.

Our teams are aware and working on this but they have done their magic backstage to help improve things in the meanwhile.

So you won't miss that and any further improvements in the app, we'd recommend making sure you're always rocking the latest version available for your device.

You can also try some common troubleshooting steps in case they do the trick for you:

• A clean reinstallation of the app
  • If your device has some sort of low power mode or app, try disabling or whitelisting Spotify
  • Enable Background App Refresh from your phone's Settings > Spotify

Since we'll be updating this thread with any updates we have to pass on, we'd also suggest leaving your +VOTE and subscribing to this thread via the three-dot menu on the original post.

If you're curious about what the different Ongoing Issues statuses mean, check this Spotify Answer.

Thanks!

Comments
reinanbobby
You need to delete Spotify right now! It depleted my other phones battery
percentage capacity. I deleted it it is ruining batteries at least for
iPhones at the moment. I am not install it on my iPhone 12 Pro Max I will
never ever install it again. I am now using YouTubeMusic and I’m using
Apple Music. Stay away from Spotify app it will ruin your phone.

Hey @Alex 

I was directed to this thread since I had raised a similar battery drain issue on my iPhone. I am surprised that the recommendation here is to disable 'background app refresh' while I was asked to enable it. Link to the response: Link 

nameless0ne

I am also experiencing the same problem. Most likely it is caused by excessive CPU usage by Spotify app. My iphone XS heats up while Spotify is playing in the background (with the phone in my pocket). The app crashes. This started for me a month or so ago and it is becoming more frequent to the point that the app is currently unusable. Previously it would crash once an hour. At the time of writing the app cannot play a full song without crashing.

Uudju

The last update 8.6.44 released 5 days ago introduces a crashing problem. I’m using an iphone se 2, with ios 13.5.1.

As commented by @nameless0ne , I cannot listen to a song without a crash. The app closes about 1 minute after playing a song, 5 out of the 5 times I tested. The error doesnt  appear in the crash log registry as previously, and I dont know why.

I have observed that during this minute, the back of the iphone is heated a bit, but it closes too soon to be a reliable reading.

This also happens with spotify opened, so I assume that it may not be the same bug.

The previous version was working fine for me, but now I’m unable to rollback 😞

Jasonh929

Update 8.6.50 is causing iPhone battery to drain the app is constantly running in the background.  Background app refresh is off, currently has 5 mins onscreen but 4hrs background usage 

Hi it's been a while from this post, but now I am experiencing the same issue again. I know I am not the only one experiencing this. 

Navweeed14
Yup same here

IOS 14.7.1 

iPhone SE

Spotify 8.6.56.1456

Just got the bug a few days ago when I started to download very high audio (works normal on normal). Did a clean reinstall but it only works for 1 days with 2000 song downloaded. Weirdly it doesn't work when there is more than 3000 songs downloaded. Only happens when it's offline. Devs please fix.

Update: after some testing I have come up with a temporary fix for me. Before going offline you must listen to a downloaded song online, then turn off wifi or cellar while the song is playing, then it will stop crashing or drain your battery. Don't close the app or remove from background and it should work. You can stop, turn off the screen and change tracks. But if connect back to wifi, must do the procedure again. So conclusion is the problem pops up when the app is open offline.

Cocomusic1

I’ve had the same issue as a lot of people here where the app closes literally every 30 seconds. It’s getting incredibly frustrating. I’ve done every solution mentioned so telling me to restart my phone is being extremely unhelpful. 
this started when I got the newest Spotify update. I think that is the reason my app keeps crashing. 
the app also drastically slowed down and it takes minutes to load searches or albums regardless of my internet connection 

Cocomusic1

iPhone XR, most recent Spotify update

I’ve had the same issue as a lot of people here where the app closes literally every 30 seconds. It’s getting incredibly frustrating. I’ve done every solution mentioned so telling me to restart my phone is being extremely unhelpful. 

this started when I got the newest Spotify update. I think that is the reason my app keeps crashing. 
the app also drastically slowed down and it takes minutes to load searches or albums regardless of my internet connection. I can usually play 2-3 songs wireless before it closes, but I haven’t made it through a single full song while connected to wifi in several days. 😕