Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] App crashing when playing podcasts with videos

Hey folks!

We've received reports (mostly from iOS users) that Spotify crashes when leaving the app and then returning to it while a video podcast is playing.

Leave a +VOTE if you're affected so that we can keep track of how many people are experiencing this.

Thanks!

Hey folks,

Thanks for your patience while we looked into this issue.

We’re happy to say that this should now be fixed for everyone! Just make sure your app is updated to the latest version.

If you're still having trouble, make sure to post a new thread in the relevant help board here.

Thanks!

Comments
Fivedoor

edp1999, I don’t think it has anything to do with the video element. I can start the JRE podcast and go back to the Spotify Home Screen and then minimize the app and it still freezes when I reopen the app with no video playing.  I agree it’s super annoying and I wish there was a solution.

Eni

Hey folks!

Thanks for getting in touch about this here in the Community. 

@JoeHrabnickywould you mind checking if this happens with other video podcasts on your phone? On another note, could you try logging in to your account on a different phone and see if the same happens?

@WastedDad, would you mind letting us know if you're experiencing this with the same podcast or with other ones as well? Also, we'd like to know if this started happening after a specific event such as an update.

We'll be on the lookout.

jayrob_11

Clean reinstall didn’t help here either. I’ve noticed for myself it doesn’t do it when I’m playing music. It’s only when I’m playing a podcast. 
1) Open Spotify on iPhone with purchased premium account. 
2) Play podcast. 
3) Minimize or swap app out of Spotify. 
4) Podcast continues playing in background

5) Returning to/reopening Spotify app stops podcast and freezes app. Can’t push anything on screen in Spotify. 
6) Must close app and reopen to play podcast. 
7) Podcast doesn’t resume at last location. Can resume up to 10 minutes prior to last location. 

lj-m_av1lj9tf

Yes also happening for me. Start playing a video podcast, exit app and the audio keeps playing but when I open Spotify again the app freezes. Only happening on Video Podcasts.

iPhone 13 Pro

iOS: 15.5

Spotify: 8.7.30.1342

TheGuitarGuy87

Same thing happens so me. Continues to play in background but as soon as Spotify is opened again it crashes until hard exit the app, and doesn’t remember where it was up to. Only with video podcasts, audio only has no issue

joshsd

Exactly the same problem  here

xinerwtf

Same thing keeps happening for me, spotifys podcasts are absolute**bleep**, what a joke, multi-billion dollar company btw.

wxfflestomp

Having this problem as well. I can confirm its not just JRE as I’ve been experiencing it with the Always Sunny Podcast. Not exactly sure when it started happening, maybe a couple of weeks ago?

CrazyPanda
This issue is still not fixed, i have tried on 3 other Iphones and they all have the same issue.

whenever i watch the Joe Rogan Experience and then swipe up to have it play on the background and then when i press play on the spotify app the App crashes completely.

im on both latest ios and latest spotify version.

Get yourself a iphone and try it for yourself!
CrazyPanda

This issue is still not fixed, i have tried on 3 other Iphones and they all have the same issue. 

whenever i watch the Joe Rogan Experience and then swipe up to have it play on the background and then when i press play on the spotify app the App crashes completely.

im on both latest ios and latest spotify version.