Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] App crashing when playing podcasts with videos

Hey folks!

We've received reports (mostly from iOS users) that Spotify crashes when leaving the app and then returning to it while a video podcast is playing.

Leave a +VOTE if you're affected so that we can keep track of how many people are experiencing this.

Thanks!

Hey folks,

Thanks for your patience while we looked into this issue.

We’re happy to say that this should now be fixed for everyone! Just make sure your app is updated to the latest version.

If you're still having trouble, make sure to post a new thread in the relevant help board here.

Thanks!

Comments
Alex

Hey folks,

Thanks for the posts and info shared.

In order to look into this further can you please provide us with the following info:

• Device model and OS version
  • Spotify version
  • Does this happen only with the JRE podcast and is there a specific episode causing it
  • Does it happen if you have downloaded the episode and play it in Offline Mode

Looking forward to your replies.

Fivedoor

Alex, all of my device and software version info are in the original post above.  It freezes on all JRE episodes for me.  The app freezes and Podcast stops playing. I have to kill the app and restart it.  

jayrob_11

Device model and OS version

• iPhone 11 Pro iOS 15.5

Spotify version

Does this happen only with the JRE podcast and is there a specific episode causing it

• It happens on all podcasts with video including JRE and others. It doesn’t freeze from podcasts with audio only. 

Does it happen if you have downloaded the episode and play it in Offline Mode

• It actually does not happen in offline mode. But once I toggle back online through WiFi or cellular it freezes when trying to play the other episodes that weren’t downloaded.

Lastly I have a work cell phone that doesn’t freeze. iPhone XR iOS 15.4.1. Logged onto same WiFi as other phone. 8.7.6.1559 Spotify Version

BriceApp

It appears to have been fixed in version 8.7.32.1667 that was just released on iOS.

If it is still an issue for you, I found that if you pause the podcast before re-opening the app, it would not crash. Not ideal, but it is a workaround.

ashwins

Same problem.

AndresM

Hey everyone. 

Thanks for posting your replies on the Community.

We suggest that you log out everywhere. You'll find this option by scrolling down here. Afterwards, reinstall the app once more on your device (you'll need to download your tunes again if you have Premium). Once this process is completed, restart your device before launching Spotify again and tell us if the issue persists after having the latest version of the app.

We'll be here standing by. 

AndresM

Hey @wxfflestomp and @CrazyPanda,

Thanks for posting on the Community.

In this case, we suggest that you log out everywhere. You'll find this option by scrolling down here.

Afterwards, restart your device and let us know if the issue still persists (even with other Podcast shows).

On another note, could you log in with a different account and tell us if the issue is there (if possible)?

Lastly, send us over a short video of this to check it further. 

We'll be here standing by. 

CrazyPanda

Here you have a news article with a video regarding the problems we experience.

https://piunikaweb.com/2022/05/10/spotify-ios-app-crashing-when-unlocking-device-while-streaming-pod...

Rikkxyz

It happens to me as well when listening to JRE. That also happens when listening to the Lex Friedman Podcast, which also has video. 

Fivedoor

Rikkxyz, I just checked and mine does also freeze on Lex Fridman’s podcast.  JRE and Lex are the only podcasts I listen to that have video and they are the only ones that freeze.  

As a test, I went back and found an old Lex Fridman episode that does not have video and it didn’t freeze.  I think we can confidently conclude that it has something to do with video.  Lol