Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] High battery drain with Spotify on iPhones with iOS versions 14.8 and 15.0

Hey folks,

Thanks for your reports about battery drainage while updating from iOS 14.8 to .15 on both firmware versions during the past days.

We’ve passed your info on to the relevant team and we can confirm they are currently looking into it.

If you’re experiencing this issue, make sure to click +VOTE and Subscribe to the thread to be notified of any developments.

Aside from trying restarting and/or a clean reinstall of the app, it'd be great if you'd give disabling Background App Refresh a shot: this could be found under Settings -> General -> Background App Refresh.

Thanks! We’ll keep you posted and let you know as soon as we have any updates on this.

Good news!

There’s a new version (8.6.64) of Spotify available in the App Store. The latest version includes fixes and improvements that should eliminate the stability and performance issues affecting a subset of iOS users.

If you have automatic updates switched on, you should have the newest version shortly.  If not, you’ll have to update the App manually. You can find step-by-step instructions for updating Spotify here.     

Comments
ArkRisk

Hi All,

Plan

Premium

Country

US

Device

iPhone 11 Pro Max

Operating System

iOS: 14.7.1

Having app freeze / hang when login. Nothing works when lunch the app. it just hang there...

1. Clean re-installation (didn't fix)
2. Switching network (didn't fix)
3. Background app refresh & Power setting (didn't fix)
4. Force logout on all device works, but once log in on iPhone it freeze.

please help!

Jeremy

Hi there @ArkRisk,

Thank you for you reply in this thread.

There's currently an ongoing issue - Mobile App Unresponsive/Crashing on iPhone 11. We suggest that you head over there, leave a +VOTE and Subscribe to the thread for any updates.

Let us know if we can help you with anything else in the meantime.

Take care!

MattSuda

If your Spotify iOS app has been crashing in the background:

This has been happening to me with the iOS app for a little over a month now. There is a known issue with the iOS app randomly crashing when playing in the background. It just happens randomly, not every time. Hopefully it'll be fixed soon.

On your iPhone go to Settings --> Privacy --> Analytics & Improvements --> Analytics Data --> and then scroll down so the search bar appears, search for Spotify, and see what logs show up. Mine shows "Spotify.cpu_resource_fatal-(date)". You may not see logs there depending on your share analytics settings.

From reading the log, it looks like Spotify will randomly spike and use too much CPU (90% or higher) and iOS will take protective measures and quit the app which will stop playback. Then when you go in the app it starts fresh, the app was stopped due to the high CPU usage.

It's been very annoying. I have my analytics setting set to share with developers but I have also sent my logs to support so it can help get this fixed.

It would help if you could upload your Spotify iOS crash logs to this thread to help the developers investigate and fix this issue. Once you find the log and go into it there should be a "share" icon in the top right corner of the iPhone. You can save it somewhere you are able to access and then upload to this thread here.

Best thing is to have your analytics settings turned on to share with the Spotify app developers so that every time it happens it gets sent to the Apple dashboard they login to to manage their iOS app. Then they'll be able to go through them and see what users are having trouble with and it will help them investigate a fix. It's really hard to investigate the cause of the crash without this data. The data included in the logs do not include personal data so there shouldn't be any worries there.

Settings --> Privacy --> Analytics & Improvements --> Share with app developers (turned on)

Right now there isn't a way to tell iOS which apps to allow analytics sharing with so you'll need to enable this setting which affects all apps for now.

IMG_3834.png

malho

Iphone SE 2020, same issue. I did every step you said, at least 10 times, didn’t work. You should fix this issue ASAP! Spotify was working fine before the update.

I found a way to open the Spotify on IOS. Press and hold on the Spotify app. Select "Search" from the pop up menu. Spotify song search screen’ll open smoothly, without freezing or crashing. You can use the app without any issue. But whenever I want to open the Home screen, it freezes again. So you should stay away from it. The problem is on the main screen i guess, idk. 

MafeG

Hi @malho,

Thank you for posting on the Community, and welcome! 

Please make sure your phone has disabled its battery optimization settings for Spotify. 

Also, could you check that there are no cache clearing apps running for Spotify? Keep in mind that even if you didn't install such apps, some devices have them preinstalled.

Keep us posted. 

JounPeikko

Thanks from this! I did every god dam thing (clear cache, remove app, sign out everywhere) about three times until I read your post and realized it it that playlist 😂

I was wondering how it worked like charm until today. Should have realized it is issue with content. Hope also Spotify support notices as well.

c2yuntctot61g6

Plan

Premium

Device

iPhone 8 Plus

Operating System

iOS 14.7

My Question or Issue

Every time I open Spotify and start listening to music my iPhone get extremely hot. Spotify is also draining my battery.

Elena

Hey folks!

@JounPeikko could you let us know your phone's model and OS version? We'd also need to know if it's only the lofi playlist that isn't working as expected.

If the others that have commented here could also let us know if they've noticed the issue with a specific playlist, we'd be happy to investigate further.

Keep us in the loop here.

JounPeikko

Hello,

I have iPhone 11 with IOS 14.7.1.

I have not seen such a behavior with any other playlist.

Br,

Jouni

MafeG

Hi @c2yuntctot61g6,

Thank you for posting on the Community. 

Whenever there's an issue with the app, we suggest you run a clean reinstall, as this one is more thorough than a regular one and can be helpful to get rid of any cache that might be causing trouble. 

If the issue persists, please check your phone's settings and disable Background App Refresh for Spotify, does it make a difference? 

Let us know how this goes!