Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] High battery drain with Spotify on iPhones with iOS versions 14.8 and 15.0

Hey folks,

Thanks for your reports about battery drainage while updating from iOS 14.8 to .15 on both firmware versions during the past days.

We’ve passed your info on to the relevant team and we can confirm they are currently looking into it.

If you’re experiencing this issue, make sure to click +VOTE and Subscribe to the thread to be notified of any developments.

Aside from trying restarting and/or a clean reinstall of the app, it'd be great if you'd give disabling Background App Refresh a shot: this could be found under Settings -> General -> Background App Refresh.

Thanks! We’ll keep you posted and let you know as soon as we have any updates on this.

Good news!

There’s a new version (8.6.64) of Spotify available in the App Store. The latest version includes fixes and improvements that should eliminate the stability and performance issues affecting a subset of iOS users.

If you have automatic updates switched on, you should have the newest version shortly.  If not, you’ll have to update the App manually. You can find step-by-step instructions for updating Spotify here.     

Comments
Alexanderchu

Somebody mentioned Apple Music… why had I not thought about that before seeing as my whole family is now on Apple devices…! I’m look into that more seriously because this is quickly becoming a farce. Thanks! 

strat_bastard

iPhone 12 mini

iOS 14.8

Spotify v8.6.62.1035

Premium family

Drained 75% in 3 hrs this morning (see below).

Low battery mode and changing a bunch of deep settings, etc. is not an acceptable "solution," and didn't work anyway. Easier/better to just go back to Google podcasts, which I'm actually finding quite pleasant by comparison. 

IMG_0608.PNG

Alexanderchu

iPhone SE (2020)

iOS 14.8

Spotify v8.6.62.1035

Premium family

Just tried the same thing with my work phone (iPhone SE 2020) and I'm getting the same results: 20 mins of podcast listening at moderate volumes (20-30% volume), battery is off 10% over that period and my phone is warm. I asked my colleague to verify the temperature of my phone and he also says it's noticeably warm (to be clear, it's on my desk, not in a pocket or whatever). 

Nikoooo27

I downloaded newest Spotify update couple of days ago and since then my Spotify app uses an enormous amount of battery. Just opening the app makes the battery run dry (listening to a podcast for about 15 minutes took 20% of battery and the phone got so hot I'm fearing it will break the phone) I have iPhone 11 Pro, and nothing like this occurred before. Battery-settings tell Spotify took about 90% of my battery usage, which is unprecedented and spotify is INUSABLE. I tried everything, deleting app, restarting etc and got the same lousy instructions from spotify customer service. This is not what I'm expecting from Spotify, as I’m seriously now thinking of changing to Apple Music. This takes too long to solve.

hairyc

UPDATE:  after removing Spotify completely and now using separate apps for music and podcasts (preferred as Spotify is a mess trying to combine the two) I am happy to report it’s like having a new phone.  While the 14.8 and 15 iOS made the battery drain worse, Spotify has always been a battery hog.  

FIX:  remove Spotify and switch to other music/ podcast apps.

Also selling my Spotify (SPOT) stock as this will impact users negatively this quarter.

zavackyo

242529482_1243674456075548_677328267778703915_n.jpg

BYE SPOTIFY

hope im not only one

Alexanderchu

Hey just wanted to flag the below data usage stats to see if it offers any clues to this battery drain issue. 

Reason I’m highlighting this is because majority of my listening is for pre-downloaded (read: via WiFi) podcasts so I’m a little surprised to see that Spotify has consumed nearly 900mb of mobile data over 5 days (that’s the period for the mobile data usage below). 

Yes I do occasionally stream music while out and about, but if you do the math for what 800mb (I’m assuming 100mb is for regular background app data usage), it would imply some 7hrs of music consumption over 5 days… which is probably high for my habits. 

I’ll turn off the app’s access to mobile data when I’m out tomorrow and see if that reduces the demand on the battery while the app is active. 

Hope this is helpful and would lead to a quicker resolution of the problem.  

92570FFD-1270-4146-B460-890AED0F464C.jpeg

seanpmarks

Spotify is now ripping through about 30% of my battery in less than an hour. iPhone SE. I switched from Android to iPhone in the hopes Spotify would behave better on ios but alas, it's a disaster over here too. Letting my family plan lapse at the end of it and switching to Apple Music, which will hopefully be more stable. 

K8brozek

I’m having the exact same issue and toggling the background refresh off did nothing as it crashed again shortly after doing so. 

JC595

I have had the same problem with version 14.8 and version 14.7. Version 14.6 was not getting hot.