Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] High battery drain with Spotify on iPhones with iOS versions 14.8 and 15.0

Hey folks,

Thanks for your reports about battery drainage while updating from iOS 14.8 to .15 on both firmware versions during the past days.

We’ve passed your info on to the relevant team and we can confirm they are currently looking into it.

If you’re experiencing this issue, make sure to click +VOTE and Subscribe to the thread to be notified of any developments.

Aside from trying restarting and/or a clean reinstall of the app, it'd be great if you'd give disabling Background App Refresh a shot: this could be found under Settings -> General -> Background App Refresh.

Thanks! We’ll keep you posted and let you know as soon as we have any updates on this.

Good news!

There’s a new version (8.6.64) of Spotify available in the App Store. The latest version includes fixes and improvements that should eliminate the stability and performance issues affecting a subset of iOS users.

If you have automatic updates switched on, you should have the newest version shortly.  If not, you’ll have to update the App manually. You can find step-by-step instructions for updating Spotify here.     

Comments

Plan

Premium

Country

US

Device

iPod Touch (7th generation)

Operating System

iOS 14.7.1

My Question or Issue

Hello! So this is a brand new device I'm working with. I downloaded the app, linked my account, and began to reset all of my music downloads, everything was going well. However, whenever I try to play anything, the app will crash.

I can only get through one song and a little of the next (approximately 5 minutes) before the app crashes. Not just pauses, but completely crashes. Not on the lock screen, recent apps, nothing. Like it was never even opened. The next time I sign back in, the song that was playing will be at the bottom, but the playback will always be in the same position, around the 0:15 mark or so. In addition, any progress I had with downloads in any of my Playlists stopped, and would not work until I cleared the download and started it again from scratch. Also, when interacting with any settings menu outside of the main one, as soon as a sub-menu was tapped the app would freeze and require a hard reset.

I have done two complete clean reinstalls and reset the device multiple times with the same result. I have had no issues with my Android device or another iPod running iOS 12.5.4. The Spotify version is 8.6.52.1200. I would appreciate any and all help with fixing this problem and being able to listen to my music again. Thanks in advance. 

Alex

Hi there @user-removed,

Thanks for the post!

Can you check the app settings on the phone and make sure Spotify is granted all Permissions.

Also, toggle Background app refresh On/ Off and see if that makes a difference.

Keep us posted on how you get on.

KnowQuestion

I’m having the same issue on iPhone 10r with iOS 14.7.1 and Spotify version 8.6.54.1230.  Have tried uninstalling, rebooting iPhone, reinstalling, toggling background app refresh and ensuring Spotify has all permissions.  I have a premium subscription and expect a timely resolution.  
More info, strangely Spotify is only crashing when I attempt to listen to the lofi beats Spotify playlist. Podcasts are playing fine and the Amy Winehouse rehab song played fine too.

TheSpanishMango

I have the exact same problem as KnowQuestion. The Spotify app (version 8.6.54.1230) keeps crashing whenever I try to listen to the lofi beats Spotify playlist on my iPhone XS Max (iOS 14.7.1). Listening to this playlist on my laptop is completely fine and I have no problems listening to anything else (podcasts and other playlists) on my iPhone.

uqd1nu3jpmznv7x

I have been having the same problem. All the songs are downloaded and background refresh is on. This only happens when I am listening to my music, not podcasts, somebody please help as I have already closed the app, shut down the phone, and deleted and reinstalled spotify and I don’t know what else to do. Unlike some other users I have had it crash whenever I play any song. I am on IOS 14.7.1 and spotify version 8.6.54.1230

All permissions except cross-app tracking are enabled. I found that the app being in offline mode leads it to work as intended. It seems the problem presents itself whenever a wifi connection is present and active. Even with a device and router reset, with a wifi connection the problem persists.

MafeG

Hi folks,

Thank you for posting on this thread. 

@KnowQuestion We understand you already reinstalled the app. Please try running a clean reinstall, as this one is more thorough than a regular one and let us know how it goes. 

@TheSpanishMango Please perform the clean reinstall with the steps I shared, and also make sure to toggle Background app refresh on/off as @Alex suggested.

@user-removed We appreciate you performing these steps. Since this is happening only when connected to WIFI, please try switching to a different internet/mobile network to see if there's a difference. 

Keep us posted. 

Naemen

Hi, 

i had the same issue.

Using my ear pods, the app crashes after a while 

I reduced the amount of saved files, Playlist, podcasts so my Spotify is now taking less than 6GB storage. 

i can’t tell if that’s fixing it, but seems to work for me at the moment…. 

Only my home network, but it happens on both the 2.4 and 5GHz bands.

I discovered another part late last night. The problem seems to happen when you have an active download running, and you are attempting to stream another song that is not yet downloaded to the device. When the second song is played, the app begins to freeze and crash.

I also noticed another software update was pushed. I will see if things work as intended with the new update (8.6.55.1233).

Jeremy

Hi there folks,

Thank you for your replies.

Can you let us know which iPhone model you're using? 

We'll keep an eye out for your replies.