Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] Local files syncing and playback issue

We’ve received some reports that newly added Local Files aren’t syncing with the phone and either do not show up at all in the playlist or even if they do appear to be correctly downloaded they still don't play.

We can confirm the right team is aware of this and is looking into it. If you’re experiencing this issue, make sure to follow the instructions in the Status Update below, add your +VOTE and subscribe to this thread so that you'll be notified as soon as there are any updates.

Hey everyone,

Thanks for reporting this and providing us all the relevant info. 

We've passed your details on to our developers and they have already rolled out a fix to improve the experience reported. 

We are aware that some users still have trouble syncing their local files with their iPhones, but this seems to be affecting specific devices or setups and requires individual troubleshooting - It'd be great to follow the steps you'll find here under Didn’t work?

We’d also recommend you try a clean reinstall, which will remove any corrupt data from your device. Just a heads-up, this will remove all your downloads and you'll have to download everything again.

If that doesn’t do the trick, you can post in the relevant help board and we’ll see if we can think up some other things to try.

Comments
ChristSteve

Hey @Xenia, I'm still having issues with my local files. My devices (a MacBook Air running macOS Mojave v. 10.14.6 and an iPhone SE) are now syncing, which they were not doing the last few days, as well as my local files are now showing up on my phone. However, the local file songs are still greyed out and unplayable on my phone. I tried deleting and re-adding the greyed out songs, moving my local files to a new source, clearing my cache, switching WiFi networks, restarting my device, deleting and redownloading the application, etc. No action on my end is fixing this issue. 

Spotify version is 8.6.78. Current and newest update from 6 days ago at the time of writing this.

swanzz

Everything is working fine for me now 🙂 Thank you for handling this @Xenia 

MrUnbecoming

I am having the same issues as others here, except that I am on Android. When I access my local files playlist on my phone, it shows as empty. I created it from my desktop, and it won't allow me to download local files from the playlist. This is a regression since the last version, as I updated recently, and it worked completely fine before then.  this thread I replied to with details. It is not a problem that is only on iOS.

Edit: Update seems to have fixed it

insectskate

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

iphone 11

Operating System

iOS 15.1

My Question or Issue

I've downloaded songs and put them into my local files work and they stayed in my account but when I try to add any other local files the song shows up but when I click the song to play on my iPhone it starts the songs but instantly stops and this only happens with new songs I try to download

speedyquader

Plan

Premium Family

Country

USA

Device

Galaxy S9

Operating System

Android 10

Wanted to chime in even though my phone is an Android, I'm having the same issue: I had my songs downloaded and they were working fine, but when I refreshed the playlist download(because some of the songs weren't downloaded properly anymore), none of them download anymore. I've already rebooted my phone, reinstalled Spotify on both my phone and my PC, and tried connecting both devices to the same WiFi network and to my phone's hotspot, and nothing's working. I can still see the songs, but they're grayed-out and where the download arrow should be to show that they're downloaded is instead an exclamation mark.

Musicasta

Plan

Premium 

Country

United States

Device

iPhone 12, Desktop PC

Operating System

iOS 15.1, Windows 10 (both updated today)

Issue

I am using a fully updated Spotify with an iPhone and a windows pc running windows 10. I have local files turned on for both and have turned off the firewall on my computer. I have made and deleted multiple playlists and added the downloaded music to them but it no avail. The songs have seemingly been downloaded, they are fully selectable in my phone library, my phone will even show the full info of the song if I play it on my desktop but any attempts to use my phone have the songs instantly skipped. Very smooth and easy system to use (not)

Solutions I've Tried
• 
Regular uninstall on both devices

• "Clean uninstall" on both devices using Spotify's guides. 
• Signing in and out of both devices
• Restarting both devices
• Clearing cache on both devices
• Doing the regular process on my mobile hotspot

Note:
• The file format for all the local files is ".mp3"
• "spotify.exe" is an allowed app on Windows Defender Firewall and are selected as both "public" and "private" 
• Spotify has access to my "Local Network" on my iPhone
• Spotify on Windows is updated (1.1.72.439.gc253025e?),
• Spotify on my iPhone is updated (8.6.78.419)
• Both devices are on the same network
• Both devices are signed in with the same account
• Playlists with local files is downloaded and local files show but are unplayable on mobile 
• I have enough storage on both devices (30GB on iPhone, 100GB on desktop)

Mobile:

• "Hide Unplayable Songs" is disabled
• "Local audio files" is enabled

Desktop:
• "Show Local Files" is enabled
• "Show songs from" has a directory with all the songs

6D59AA83-A3C3-44C0-8FC0-058D280CC94D.png

Robin_Lo

Plan

Premium 

Country

Canada

Device

iPhone 13, Desktop PC

Operating System

iOS 15.1, Windows 10

My sync went back to work on Thursday, then it went down again today. 

Megazelda1234

I have the premium plan and am new to local files, I have put the local files in a playlist which I have downloaded on both devices. I have clean reinstalled on both devices and used all of the trouble shooting methods and I am still not able to play the local files on my iPhone 11 with iOS 15.1. The local files are visible in the playlist, but I can not play them without Spotify automatically skipping the song even though the song is downloaded. The Spotify version I am using on my pc is Spotify for Windows 1.1.72.439.gc253025e and the Spotify version I am using is Version 8.6.80.1180. My Internet Service Provider is At&t Internet and I use windows 10.This was from my Windows 10 PCThis was from my Windows 10 PCThis was from my iPhoneThis was from my iPhone

kh6dvlbdw0je0yg

why is this still broken I haven’t been able to play local files for months AND THIS IS THE ONLY REASON I PAY PREMIUM. I want a refund for the the last two months because I am not receiving the service you said I would receive! You understand that right? You have promised one side of a deal and not delivered, when do I get my money back? When do I get to use the software I’m paying you for in it’s entirety? I’m tired of this. 

MrKeiKun

Plan

Premium 

Country

Philippines

Device

iPhone 13, Desktop PC

Operating System

iOS 15.1, Windows 10 21H1 Build 19043

I'm experiencing the same problem cannot sync local files to my Iphones