Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] Sonos devices not appearing on Spotify Connect

I am having an issue with the Spotify app on my iPhone (only) where my Sonos devices are not appearing.  Spotify Connect is there for my MacBook (when open) but none of the Sonos devices through Spotify Connect are appearing.  

All of the Sonos devices are appearing as expected on my MacBook, iPad and my wife’s iPhone, not I’m not sure why they’re not appearing on my iPhone.  I can connect to those devices through my Sonos app.  I have tried restarting the device, deleting/reinstalling both apps and restarting my router and Sonos devices and none have resolved the issue.  A reinstall of the Spotify app temporarily resolves the issue but keeps reverting.

I have attached screenshots from my 3 devices to show what’s appearing and details of the devices are listed below:

Plan: Premium

Devices:

• iPhone 7, iOS 12.4, Spotify 8.5.19.947, Sonos v 10.3.2
  • iPad Mini 4, iOS 12.4, Spotify 8.5.19.947
  • MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015), macOS Mojave 10.14.5, Spotify 1.1.12.451.gdb77255f
Spotify-iPad-iOS.jpg
Spotify-iPhone-iOS.jpg
Spotify-MacBook-macOS.png

Hey folks,

Thanks for your patience while we looked into this issue.

We’re happy to say that this should now be fixed for everyone!

If you’re still experiencing this issue, make sure your app is on the latest version by doing a clean reinstall.

Thanks!

Comments
kevinjohnsonirl

Hi all,

thanks for the updates. The airplane mode works for me.  As soon as I turn airplane mode on (and wifi is obviously on) all of the devices immediately appear in the app.  So definitely a connection there.

Any suggestion on how best to get picked up or escalated to Spotify.  Clearly there is a issue lots of us are having and there is a connection with airplane made too.

Cheers,

Kevin

Katerina
Status changed to: Under investigation

Hey there folks,

We really appreciate your reports about having troubles to see your Sonos devices on the Connect picker when using an iOS device. We've passed this on to our tech teams and they'll be looking into this.

If you're experiencing this, we'd first recommend trying the following:

• A clean reinstallation of the app following the steps here
  • Make sure your Sonos system and device using Spotify are on the same Wi-Fi network.
  • Your devices are on the latest OS (operating system) versions available
  • Check if the issue persists when using a different network connection. If it works with another connection, we recommend contacting the service provider of the original network for more information.
  • You can disable WiFi assist on your mobile device, there's more steps here
  • Check if the same occurs when using a different Spotify account (if possible)
  • Some users have mentioned that switching Airplane Mode on, then off helps

If none of these do the trick, let us know by adding your +VOTE and leaving a comment with the following, if you haven't already:

• Your devices and their OS version - it'd be helpful if you could include the devices that have this issue and the ones that don't if you have more than one
  • The exact version of the Spotify app on each device 

We'll make sure to pass these on to the right teams and keep you updated, thanks!

kevinjohnsonirl

Hi Katerina,

great to hear Spotify are now looking into this.  For the record, I have tried all of the suggested actions you have outlined above, except for trying a different account/network, and the issue persists.  I only have a single wifi network at home which all my devices are connected to.  Just to also add, switching Airplane mode on does immediately result in all of the Sons devices appear again on my iPhone app.

Below are my current versions:

iPHONE 7: iOS 12.4.1, Spotify v8.5.22.739

iPAD 4 MINI:  iOS 12.4.1, Spotify v8.5.22.739 (no Spotify Connect issues on this device)

MACBOOK PRO (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015): macOS Mojave v10.14.6, Spotify v1.1.15.448.g00fba0e3 (no Spotify Connect issues on this device)

I have also just noticed that this issue also extends to Sky Q boxes I have on the same network, these are appearing as Spotify Connect devices on my iPad and MacBook but not the iPhone.  So the Spotify Connect issue doesn't appear to be solely related to just Sonos devices.

Peter

Hey @kevinjohnsonirl,

Thanks for providing us with that info - we've passed it on to the right team.

We'll let you know as soon as we have any updates on this.

Cheers!

RomanPh

iPhone 11 iOS 13.0 = no Sonos devices, tried reinstalling, rebooting everything nothing helps

iPhone XR iOS 13.0 before upgrading = same issue

my partner's iPhone 7 Plus iOS 13.0 = all good, same WiFi network, part of the same family account

druhew

Same problem
iPhone XS
iOS 13.0
connected using a Netgear Orbi system

Spotify app (Version 8.5.23.644) can't see any of the wifi speakers for Sonos but can airplay to airplay enabled Sonos devices.
Sonos app can connect to the speakers fine and play spotify via the Sonos app
Amazon Music app can see the Sonos speakers and plays fine to those  speakers

druhew

Update:

I've played around with settings as I realised I had another phone (iPhone 7 Plus with iOS13) that could see all the Sonos devices. The difference was that "Background App Refresh" was turned off for the Spotify app.

I turned off "Background App Refresh" for the Spotify App on my iPhone XS (iOS13) that was having the issue and - Sonos devices are showing once again. Hope this helps others and also helps with troubleshooting the issue. 

RomanPh

Unfortunately @druhew solution does not work for me, Sonos is still not visible with background refresh off for me 😞

kevinjohnsonirl

HI @druhew, I tried your suggestion as well but didn't fix it for me.  I'm still on iOS 12.4.1, waiting for 13.1 at least before upgrading.  Will try your suggestion again when I upgrade.

LVG1

The only thing that worked for me was to turn on the celluar data. 

For my iphone:

Settings > Spotify > Cellular Data (toggle on)

I don't want to have to turn on my cellular data as I like to listen to it in my car and I don't want to go over my data. 

Please fix this issue on the Spotify app. It only happens when you download offline content to your phone.

I have an iphone 6S on verison 12.4.1. My google mini has no issues with the network or spotify app, only the sonos speakers. Sonos speakers work fine through the sonos app, but I prefer the search in the spotify app. 

Spotify app verison 8.5.23.644