Announcements

[iOS] Spotify lags/crashes when scrolling through larger playlists

Hello all, I've been suffering a new major issue ever since the latest Spotify update on iOS. I download and store all of my music, and play and add them onto a large playlist with hundreds of songs. I never have had an issue with this setup beforehand. Now, if I attempt to scroll past these songs and go near the bottom of it, the app will lag, freeze up, and even crash on occasion, practically making the app unusable. I am on an iPhone 11 Pro Max, and am on the latest iOS version. I have already attempted to reinstall the app, but upon doing so, it did not alleviate the issue. Is this an issue on my end or is this an unintended performance issue by the development team?

Hey folks,

Thanks for your patience while we looked into this issue.

We’re happy to say that this should now be fixed for everyone! Just make sure your app is updated to the latest version.

If you're still having trouble, make sure to post a new thread in the relevant help board here.

Thanks! 

Comments
DSFive
Casual Listener

Phone Model: iPhone 11 Pro Max

iOS Version: 14.2

Spotify Version: 8.5.86.739

The issue only occurs on large playlists, and not the liked songs feature.

A clean install does not help the issue whatsoever

My iPad 5 on version 13.7 and Spotify version 8.5.86.739 suffers the same issue

None of the recommended solutions help as I play Spotify offline using local files, and my data/WiFi signal is fine and has no interruptions typically while playing new songs

Video demoing the issue on my iPhone:

https://youtu.be/I6xDc1UPwI4 

maxorzoom3

Hi Peter,

the issue still persists wether i am on wifi or my 3G/4G. Switching the app into online/offline mode does not help as well. My current spotify version is 8.5.86.739 running on iOS 14.2.1 on an iPhone 12 pro max. The issue appears in my 3k song playlist as well as in playlists with only 100 songs.

Kuches98
Visitor

Just updated last night to 8.5.86.739 and same thing is happening to me, Iphone 8+ with latest IOS.. 800+ song playlist is near impossible to scroll thru... This needs to change asap or im going back to apple music...

Yuuna
Casual Listener

Devices: iPhone 6, IPad 5th Gen (2017)

iOS Version: 14.2 on both.

Spotify Version: 8.5.86.739

The problem does not occur on the Liked Songs Playlist - but on other playlists. Liked Songs Playlist is unaffected. (See video for further reference) 

A clean reinstall does not resolve the issue.

Yes, this issue occurs on all my available devices (see devices above) ever since the update. Playlists with more than 100 tracks or so have the same issue. 

I’ve gone through all the troubleshooting steps I’ve listed in my previous comment: All manner och reinstalling, switching between WiFi and 4G, changing my password, restarting my device, clearing cache, (cannot use the offline feature so reference towards other users since I don’t listen offline), no app restrictions, no battery saving apps or settings.

WoodersonMB
Casual Listener

Responses in red.

• The device(s) this is happening on iphone 11
  • The exact operating system version of the affected device(s) ios 13.7
  • The exact version of the app you're on 8.5.86.739
  • Does this happen on your Liked Songs playlist, or just playlists with lots of tracks? With lots of tracks
  • Does a clean reinstall with the steps here help? No
  • Are you able to reproduce this with another device or account, or in playlists with less tracks? Yes
  • The troubleshooting steps you've tried (eg. changing WiFi/3G/4G networks, restarting your device, setting the app Offline, disabled any battery saving or cache clearing app restrictions for Spotify etc) Switched from WIFI to 4G, cleared cache, restarted the device multiple times. No improvement. 
  • Any screenshots or screen recording of what's happening would be very helpful - just make sure that there's no private/sensitive info displayed. The video that @DSFive  posted captures it perfectly. If anything, mine is a bit worse.
baller1656
Visitor

I’m having the same issue as well. I’m on iOS 14.2 on my iPhone X running spotify version 8.5.86.739. It only happens on larger personal playlists. Tried doing a clean install and it did not fix the issue. I have tried everything. Hard reset on phone, clearing cache, disabling WiFi, etc. I would love the issue to be solved, as it’s making my experience on Spotify quite frustrating 

tmoney24
Visitor

Yea i have a problem with my playlist ever since the new update (my playlist is over 1000 songs), I also tried other playlists and it also freezes, I’ve tried everything from logging out and logging in, deleting the app, restarting my phone, but it’s still the same please help soon this is really annoying, I also tried the same thing on apple music and the playlists run smooth, my phone is a Iphone X

Katerina

Hey there folks, 

Thanks for adding these, we've passed them along to the right folks!

@Kuches98 just to clarify, you mention this is happening to the latest iOS version on your device - if you could include which exact version you're on that'd be very helpful! We'll pass that along as well.

Our teams are now looking into this so we'll keep you posted here on any updates so make sure you've subscribed this Ongoing Issue.

Cheers 🙂

Katerina
Status changed to: Under investigation

Hey there folks,

We really appreciate you sharing your details as requested! Our teams are now looking into this.

If you're also experiencing troubles with the app when scrolling through larger playlists and you haven't already, make sure to add your +VOTE and a comment with the following info:

• The device(s) this is happening on
  • The exact operating system version of the affected device(s)
  • The exact version of the app you're on 
  • Does this happen on your Liked Songs playlist, or just playlists with lots of tracks?
  • Does a clean reinstall with the steps here help?
  • Are you able to reproduce this with another device or account, or in playlists with less tracks?
  • The troubleshooting steps you've tried (eg. changing WiFi/3G/4G networks, restarting your device, setting the app Offline, disabled any battery saving or cache clearing app restrictions for Spotify etc)
  • Any screenshots or screen recording of what's happening would be very helpful - just make sure that there's no private/sensitive info displayed.

We'll be keeping you updated here on any info we have to pass on so we'd suggest ensuring you've subscribed to this thread to stay up to speed. 

Thanks!

Walisultanii
Visitor

Wow I thought I was alone with this issue, as of 12/3/20 I have the most up to date version of ios and spotify premium on an iPhone 11 pro. I’ve tried reinstalling, logging out and logging in. It becomes unmanageable when I scroll down and then try to scroll back up. It’ll lag for a whole two seconds when trying to minimize the song to return to the playlist. Even driving in a car using Bluetooth and trying to go from one song to the next has started to have a delay.

Related Issues