Announcements

[iOS] Spotify lags/crashes when scrolling through larger playlists

Hello all, I've been suffering a new major issue ever since the latest Spotify update on iOS. I download and store all of my music, and play and add them onto a large playlist with hundreds of songs. I never have had an issue with this setup beforehand. Now, if I attempt to scroll past these songs and go near the bottom of it, the app will lag, freeze up, and even crash on occasion, practically making the app unusable. I am on an iPhone 11 Pro Max, and am on the latest iOS version. I have already attempted to reinstall the app, but upon doing so, it did not alleviate the issue. Is this an issue on my end or is this an unintended performance issue by the development team?

Hey folks,

Thanks for your patience while we looked into this issue.

We’re happy to say that this should now be fixed for everyone! Just make sure your app is updated to the latest version.

If you're still having trouble, make sure to post a new thread in the relevant help board here.

Thanks! 

Comments
hbrugts

Hello,

Very annoying: 

-long playlists freeze up, scrolling lagging or not responding to swiping

-playlist’s view continuously jumps back to top of the list (first song)

-Spotify stops playing suddenly

It is basically impossible to use (long) spotify playlists

Spotify 8.5.86.739

Ipad pro (9.7 inch) model: MLQ62NF/A

Iphone 8

Ios 14.2

Happens on different wifi networks, mobile network, other family devices (ipads and iphones) and with offline playlists.

Deleting app and fresh install on iPad as per spotify procedure in this thread does not resolve issue

Long playlists work ok on PC (on the same network) 

“Liked songs” playlist is working ok, but is not an option for me.
Please resolve a.s.a.p. 

JDS8

Same issue here, app will either freeze or crash when trying to scroll through or play content from longer playlists. 

- Device: iPhone 11

- Software version: 14.2

- App version: 8.5.86.739

Have tried restarting, reinstalling and all troubleshooting steps, problem still remains to the point where I can’t currently listen to my main playlists on my phone. Bad times.

Tobiasmattsson
Casual Listener

Just got my 12 pro max and same problem for me, a shame i spend alot of money for this phone and spotify of all apps is lagging like crazy

somemusicguy123
Visitor

Is there a way to revert the update to 8.5.85 so that the playlists are working fine?

dreamvilleaaris

Ive installed and reinstalled and it only happens on my 2000+ song playlist im on a iphone x on the latest version of everything. 

somemusicguy123
Visitor

I would have to search up what song I wanted to play.

rulzie09
Visitor

Hey there, I have been having the same issue with the lagging/crashing through my playlists. It is especially bad with my playlist which contains over 1,400 songs.

This is occurring on my iPhone XR, running on iOS 14.2. App is running at 8.5.86.739. This issue does not occur on my liked songs playlist, only my own created playlists. Clean install does not resolve issue, and I have tried everything recommended on this thread yet the issue still remains.

somemusicguy123
Visitor

Or otherwise relocate the songs to the Liked Songs playlist that isn’t affected temporarily.

T-2020
Visitor

Same problem. I have a playlist of around 600 songs that lags extrememly when I am scrolling through it. I have an iPhone 12 on iOs 14.2.1. Spotify version 8.5.86.739.

Gurvann
Visitor

Same issue on iPhone 11 Pro Max with an « only » 1000 songs playlist.