Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Alexa Can't Play Songs by Genre

Alexa Can't Play Songs by Genre

Alexa doesn't understand when asking to play simple requests like "Alexa, play classical music." She said, "I can't find any classical music."

Huh??

Plan

Premium Trial

Country

US

Device

Amazon Alexa Dot 2nd Generation

Operating System

N/A

My Question or Issue

5 Replies

Hey @jaressloo,

Welcome to the community! 

Alexa should be able to play songs by genre. Sometimes it can help to add Spotify into the command. Could you try saying "Alexa, play classical music on Spotify". 

It's also worth checking if you've got Spotify set as your default music player on the Alexa app on your device. You can check out the steps to do this and other commands you can say here.

Let us know how you get on, 

/T

Hi Tom.

Thanks for the response! Unfortunately, that didn't work.

When I say, "Alexa play classical music on Spotify," she responds with "Shuffling Reggaeton Classics on Spotify."

did have Spotify set as the default music app, but I had to change it back to Amazon music and subscribe there instead of the Spotify Family Premium account because I couldn't get it to work.

Hopefully it gets resolved soon! I love Spotify, but if it can't do stuff like play by genre, then I can't use it. Thanks!!

Hey again @jaressloo,

We understand your decision and you're always welcome back anytime. We can try to help you further if we get some more info, just let us know. For instance, does this happen with all the genres?

Let us know if there's anything else. 

Thank you for your continued help!

It does happen with all genres, but...it's different.

It's like it's not searching what's normal. It pulls back strange content that I wouldn't normally find. I know that's a terrible answer!

When I ask for "rock" music or "hip hop," she says "Sorry - something went wrong."

When I ask for "dinner music," she says "Playing dinner with friends from Spotify" (maybe that's right??)

Thank you!

Hey @jaressloo,

It sounds like it's picking up the names of playlists instead of specific genres. Then at time's getting confused like with the Reggaeton Classics. 

It's subtle but the list of commands on Amazon suggests using 'from' instead of 'on' - could you try saying 'Play Classical from Spotify'? 

/T

Suggested posts