Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Alexa] No way around auto-shuffle is a completely broken experience

[Alexa] No way around auto-shuffle is a completely broken experience

I have my premium Spotify account linked with my Amazon Echo/Alexa.  If I ask it to play songs by an artist, it defaults to auto-shuffling their music.  There is no way around this. 

So for instance, if I say, "Alexa play Michael Jackson"... you'd think it would play one of his many obvious hits... Billie Jean, Thriller, Beat It, Bad, Man in the Mirror, etc...

Alexa:  "Shuffling songs by Michael Jackson"

You know what this moron played for me?  "Wings of My Love" a randomass b-side off his 1972 solo album.   What the flip is "Wings of my Love"? 

That's a broken feature.  One of my only reasons for having an Alexa is so I can say "play -artist-" and have it play their top hits. 

4 Replies

I AGREE!! So annoying, how can we get Spotify to change this...

If i want to listen to the Rolling Stones i dont want to be listening through their live albums or anyhting.

Hey @nedyken and @maxsizeland,

You can always ask for a specific song, album or playlist to be played. There is many This Is X or Top Tracks by X playlists out there that contain all the most popular songs you probably want to hear. Here's two examples you might want to follow and request Alexa to play:

spotify:user:spotify:playlist:37i9dQZF1DX5COO9vTaRpO

spotify:user:spotify:playlist:37i9dQZF1DXaTIN6XNquoW

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have further questions.

Have a nice day!

Hi Guido, 

thank you for your response, really appreicated but im afraid these are work-arounds and not a solution, this is making the user experience more complicated rather than easier.

A solution you could easily implement would be:

"play songs by the rolling stones": Plays songs from the most listened list.

"Shuffle songs by the rolling stones": shuffles songs like it currently does.

I don't see why this is so hard for Spotify to implement. It simply doesn't make sense.

Look forward to your response, many thanks,

Max

Hey @maxsizeland.

Thanks for getting back to us.

Have you tried asking Alexa to play Top songs/tracks by Artist? It's not listen on Amazons support page with available commands but it might work!

Hope it does. Let us know if you have further questions.

Have a nice day.

Suggested posts