Lineup Signup
Hi! We're just rearranging some Desktop boards to make it easier to find what you're looking for. Please bear with us, and we'll be done very soon.
To post a new question or issue, please go here: Desktop (Windows), Desktop (Mac), Desktop (Linux), Web Player.

Alexa always chooses obscure cover versions of titles

Alexa always chooses obscure cover versions of titles

DaveAmes12
Regular

The main way that I use Spotify is requesting music by Alexa voice control. Unfortunately I have an extremely annoying problem with it: If I request a song by title, Alexa+Spotify usually chooses the most obscure possible cover version instead of the popular version of the title (e.g., how would you like to hear the bagpipes-only version of that popular rock ballad from the 90s?). Ok, usually I can stop it and make a more specific request by artist (assuming I remember the artist name correctly), but even then I may get an obscure live version instead of the popular version. This is unlike using the Spotify app or web player, where it lists the versions of the title in order of popularity. I can't find any way to override this behavior, and I'm finding it so frustrating that's going to end up driving me to a different music service when my Spotify subscription runs out.

I haven't had any luck finding a solution in the Amazon/Alexa forums. Has anyone here got any suggestions about how to fix this?

8 Replies

Re: Alexa always chooses obscure cover versions of titles

Jemi
Spotify Legend

Hey @DaveAmes12, help's here.

There's a similar issue described here. We suggest that you vote and add a comment there. We're still investigating this and will come back as soon as there are updates.

Cheers!

JemiModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
"Use the force, Harry" - Gandalf

DaveAmes12
Regular

Thanks, it is the same issue, in that case with Google Home. But I have both Google Home and Alexa, so I can compare what they come up with when a song title is requested from Spotify, and I can tell you that the issue is much worse with Alexa.

Hey @DaveAmes12.

We noticed you posted in the thread - thanks for doing that.

We'll pass on that information to the right team and let you know as soon as we have any updates.

Take care!

PeterModerator
"It's my job to see the world and report back. It's my job to feel things fiercely.
And it's my job to be present." - Maggie Rogers
Highlighted

DaveAmes12
Regular

Here's an example of how awful Alexa is with Spotify:

"Alexa, play Radio Ga Ga by Queen" (official song name is 3 words)

Ans: "I can't find Radio Gaga on Spotify"

"Alexa, play Radio... Ga... Ga by" (cut off)

Ans: "Playing Radio Gaga by Electric Six from Spotify"

"Alexa, play Radio.. Ga.. Ga by Queen" (a little faster)

Ans: "Playing Radio Ga Ga by Queen from Spotify"

"Hey Google, play Radio Gaga"

Ans: "Ok, playing Radio Gaga by Queen on Spotify" (plays Queen version)

Hey @DaveAmes12.

Thanks for letting us know.

Could you make sure that the device was bought and set to the same country, and that your Amazon account is also set to that country?

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

PeterModerator
"It's my job to see the world and report back. It's my job to feel things fiercely.

DaveAmes12
Regular

Yes it is.

It's not that Alexa and Spotify can't find and play the correct version if I'm specific enough. For example, the top version of Radio Ga Ga by Queen on Spotify is the " - Remastered" version. If I say "Alexa, play Radio Ga Ga Remastered", it gets the right version as long (as I leave a brief pause in Ga Ga so that it gets the space). Spotify search does require the space between Ga Ga.

By comparison Google Home doesn't need me to be so specific to play titles from Spotify. If I say "Hey Google, play Radio GaGa", it also gets the top Remastered version by Queen, and it doesn't need me to sound out the space in Ga Ga according to the transcript.

Hey @DaveAmes12.

Thanks for getting back to us and for giving us that feedback.

Alexa-enabled devices and Google Home devices have different voice commands for Spotify. You can compare the differences between Alexa and GH here and here respectively.

With regard to the discrepancies, we've passed on the feedback to the relevant team. We'll let you know as soon as we have any updates on this.

Hope that helps! Let us know if you have any other questions.

PeterModerator

jacksonelam

I get this ALL THE TIME.  I tried "Alexa, play Stairway to Heaven" and it gives me some random non-lyrical cover version of it.  I tried "Alexa, play Over the Rainbow" and it gave me some random non-lyrical cover version of it.  It's REALLY annoying.  I feel like there are some songs that you OBVIOUSLY want the original, most-popular version.  I want the Led Zeppelin version.  I want the Judy Garland version.  This almost renders using Alexa untenable.  

SUGGESTED POSTS