Alexa always chooses obscure cover versions of titles

Highlighted

Re: Alexa always chooses obscure cover versions of titles

Casual Listener

Using spotify on Alexa is hopless. Its often better to ask for the request on Amazon Music. Here's some classics
Alexa "Play Bohemian Rhapsody"
Playing "Bohemian Rhapsdody by Panic at the disco"

Alex " Play Imagine"
Playing "Imagine by Ariana Grande" (so technically a differnt song, but as this one of the most famous songes ever!)
Both work correctly when requested on Amazon Music.

Highlighted

Casual Listener

I notice you still haven't fixed" Stairway to heaven" from a post in the this thread from months ago, I'll give you clue. Its by Led Zeppelin! 

Guess what, works correctly on Amazon Music...

Highlighted

Casual Listener

I suspect that either... 

Spotify is doing this because they pay pennys less to play an obscure cover version

or

Amazon is doing it to encourage you to pay for their music service instead of Spotify

Either way, this is Spotify's problem to solve so I'm quitting Spotify and going elsewhere. It's a shame that "Amazon Music Unlimited" is actually very very limited and keeps removing songs from their library to maximise their profits. 

Next to try... Google Play or Apple Music. Neither of them work with all my Alexa devices so I'll be ditching them also. 

Highlighted

Visitor

Alexa play she bangs

- Playing she bands by William Hung

Alexa play she bangs by Ricky Martin

- Playing she bangs Spanish version by Ricky Martin

Alexa play she bangs English version by Ricky Martin

- Playing she bangs Spanish version by Ricky Martin

Damn llama

Also I couldn't get her to play Prince to save my life one day, she preferred some Prince Royce I'd never heard of. 

Highlighted

Casual Listener

Update... after playing with Amazon, Apple, and Tidal, I'm back to Spotify. They suck the least of a bad lot of options. Alexa seems to have started working better with Spotify and is playing obscure versions less frequently thankfully. 

Also - the other services have nothing that comes close to Spotify's Daily Mixes that are awesome for playing songs you know, songs you like, and sometimes songs you like that you don't know! I wish they'd support likes and dislikes and adding to playlists from Alexa. 

So... I'm back with Spotify due to them being the best of a bad lot. 

Highlighted

Visitor

Meanwhile, over a year later...

Highlighted

Yep still a massive issue.

Asking alexa to play smooth criminal, what would be the guess, the Michael Jackson version with over 248 million plays or some terrible rock version with 176 million plays? The terrible one of course.

This happens for so many songs it must be deliberate.
Highlighted

Visitor

Infuriated by this issue daily.

Our toddler loves Bicycle Race by Queen so he requests to listen 2-10+ times per day.

”Alexa, play Bicycle Race by Queen” will randomly either play the correct track, or about 50% of the time plays a cover by “Dream Queen.” Sometimes we have to repeat the same exact voice command 7 times to get Alexa to play the correct track by Queen... other times it plays the correct track on the first go.

The Alexa app confirms it is hearing the same voice command, but randomly giving different results.

I’ve also experienced this with another band... clearly stated the correct song name and band and it started playing a karaoke track (same music, no lyrics)... this should never be played unless someone requests it! The title of the track clearly indicates it was a karaoke track— why would your algorithm prioritize it over the correct track with the same name.

Highlighted

Visitor
Haha I'm here looking at this thread because I also had the issue while trying to play smooth criminal. The rock version sucks!
Highlighted

Casual Listener
It may be solved for Google devices (which I don't know), but for Alexa, it's over a year, and still happening.
SUGGESTED POSTS