Alexa can't find my own playlists on Spotify

Solved!

Re: Alexa can't find my own playlists on Spotify

eleckz
Music Fan
Yea those don’t really interest me. I want it for alarms, weather notifications, Spotify and just plain things 🙂

el_matt0
Casual Listener

So this works for things like asking Alexa for Spotify music by genre now? Or “play My Discover Weekly” playlist? Hoping someone can verify before I go through the whole reset procedure on both my Dots!

eleckz
Music Fan
Works for custom playlists. Haven’t tried the other like the New Years one or daily mix 1 but I don’t see why it shouldn’t work as the custom ones do now

rolsky

Hey PhYrE,

Thanks so much for your steps.  I've tried a lot of different things in this thread and nothing was able to get my Spotify playlists working on the Echo Dot.  I also am using Spotify Premium and Amazon services from Canada. 

As you suggested, I tried first by migrating my Amazon Kindle account from US to Canada, repairing Spotify to Dot, and signing in-and-out of the Alexa App on my iPhone.  This didn't work.   After factory resetting the Echo Dot and repairing it with the Alexa App my playlists finally work.  Not sure if the factory reset or the Echo Dot repairing process was what fixed it.  What a relief!  

The only difference I noticed in our original issues is that I did not see any US music services in the Alexa app (Pandora, etc).  However, my Amazon Kindle services were tied to the US store like yours.

Thanks again.

Gman5
Casual Listener

Had same issue as everyone and found a way round it. The suggestions in other comments didn’t work for me for some reason but did for others!!

I made my Spotify account the default on the Alexa app.

Now I say

“ Alexa, listen to my xxxxxx playlist “  

and that works for me.

DMoses

Guys - I figured it out - In order for the Canadian Amazon Echo to recognize your playlists, you have to migrate your amazon devices (Kindle, etc) frm the amazon.com account to the amazon.ca account - I did everything in this thread, and nothing worked - but this did! Now it see's my playlists no problem! Detailed instructions found here... Enjoy!

PhYrE
Casual Listener

Yup-  That's what my instructions here said: https://community.spotify.com/t5/forums/forumtopicprintpage/board-id/002/message-id/48268/print-sing...

That said, Spotify now has a known bug with genres.  While it gets your playlist (including custom ones like Discover weekly), you'll find it can no longer "play dinner music" or "play pop music" or "play jazz".  So it's a choice between YOUR playlists (Canadian store) or their genre playlists (US store).

According to both Spotify and Amazon, they're working on it- but it's been about a month like this and they haven't made progress.  It will respond "I couldn't find any jazz songs".

abadran
Casual Listener

Has anyone managed to get Alexa to play own playlists on spotify in Australia? Have tried everything suggested here and still same issue. Does the amazon account need to match the Echo Location or does the amazon account have to be US based even for Australian users?

Re: Alexa can't find my own playlists on Spotify - Status changed to: Need more info

readtom
Regular

Hi, what do you mean by  "turned on listening.."? Is this a Spotify setting?

moopeticus

I'm in the UK. Tried just about every solution here and nothing worked. Here's what eventually solved it for me. In the Spotify web app:

1) Create a new playlist with same name as existing one

2) Copy over all songs from old playlist to new playlist

3) Delete original playlist

4) In new version of playlist, download all tracks by sliding 'download' button to green. A small green circle with a downward arrow now appears next to your playlist name on left side of screen 

5) Repeat for all your existing playlists (painful, I know)

I can now play all my playlists as before. But it only worked for me by following all steps above. If I missed out step 4, they still wouldn't play. 

SUGGESTED POSTS