Alexa can't find my own playlists on Spotify

Solved!

Re: Alexa can't find my own playlists on Spotify

mmckillen
Casual Listener
That's 100% not true. I have s playlist called 2016 Jams on Spotify and the command "Alexa play 2016 Jams on Spotify" works every time. My problem is now she can't find my new playlist 2017 Jams. Not sure why she can find one playlist but not the other.
Solution!

mmckillen
Casual Listener
Just fixed the problem. As suggested by the initial response from Spotify Support... I changed the name of the playlist. At first it still didn't work... So I reverted back to the original playlist name. Now that I've change the playlist name... Then reverted back... It works.

View solution in original post

Re: Alexa can't find my own playlists on Spotify - Status changed to: Need more info

Killer1978
I have tried this multiple times with my personal playlists (this one is called upbeat modern) but no matter the combination of words, Alexa can't seem to find it. At this point I feel like this purchase is an expensive speaker, rather than a fully functional interactive device.

Re: Alexa can't find my own playlists on Spotify - Status changed to: Need more info

SeanMc5
Regular
Hi,
I spoke with Spotify, and for privacy reasons Alexa will not be able to
access personal playlists.
Hope that helps.

SeanMc5
Regular
How did you get the 2016 list to work. I would love a solution.

lukeinfinger

I am having an issue where I connected my Spotify before it was Premium. Then I updated to premium but my Alex App will not update so I cannot play music. 

Screen Shot 2017-03-08 at 8.21.18 AM.png
Solution!

dcollett

Not sure who you spoke with, but this is definitely NOT true. I've created many personal playlists in Spotify, and when I say, "Alexa, play XXXXX playlist" it plays it. 

However, I DID have the exact same problem that all of you did. No matter what I tried, Alexa simply couldn't find any of my playlists. I tried renaming them, etc. but it never worked.

Finally, here's what I did to solve the problem, and it has worked since:

1. I unplugged the Echo device for a few minutes (not sure if this is necessary, but I did it). Then plug it back in. Press and hold the button with the dot on it for 5-10 seconds until the Echo ring lights up orange.

2. Openthe Alexa app on your phone > Settings > “Set up a new device” > Echo. When asked, select your 2.4Ghz Wi-Fi network (Echo had difficulty connecting to my 5 Ghz network, or maybe it just can't).

3. After everything has connected, use this language: “Alexa, play XXXXXX playlist”

Note that you need to set Spotify as your default music library:

Settings > Music & Media > "Choose default music services" > Spotify

I hope this helps others. Good luck!

View solution in original post

paulify

I solved the problem pretty quickly by guessing. I wanted to play my daily mix. So I added it to a playlist and changed the name using my computer. Alex could not find the playlist. I then opened my iPhone which has the spotify app, and is what Alexa uses to play spotify. The playlist name was synced on my iphone, but Alexa still couldn't see it. I finally changed the name to a new name in my spotify app and it worked. Maybe just luck. ;) 

savoirfaire1

Tried all of the suggestions on first few "Solutions" - none worked. However, the solution is there, the Occam's Razor as it were. At any rate, simply open the Spotify app on your phone (not through Alexa) - it will state at the bottom (Devices Available), tap on this and it will show your phone, your Dot and maybe even your laptop. So, I guess you can figure out the rest - press Dot and voila (!) problem solved. And if this solution was somewhere buried in the thread, sorry - but this should be at the top of the list so folks don't waste their time - pressing , unplugging and/or using different commands, all to no avail. Enjoy your day!

bbaale
Casual Listener

This worked. Didn't follow exactly every step. Here's what I did:

1. In Alexa Settings, made Spotify the default music source

2. Switched off echo dot, for 1-2 minutes

3. Went through the steps of setting up echo dot the wifi 

4. Said command "Alexa play XYZ playlist". Voila worked this time

My theory, perhaps after the very first setup, Alexa can't recognise Spotify as the default music source, and hence is inept in locating personal playlist. I can't be bothered, but perhaps you can skip steps 2 and 3 and jumping from step 1 to 4. Could be as simple as just setting Spotify as default music source.

All this said, I have noticed that certain phonetics is difficult for Alexa to comprahend, so have subsequently changed names of certain playlist to what are presumably easier names for Alexa to pick up

SUGGESTED POSTS