Alexa can't find my own playlists on Spotify

Solved!

Re: Alexa can't find my own playlists on Spotify

eleckz
Music Fan
Hmmm yea I followed the link and I can log into the .com one and see my devices not sure I’ve seen that menu on the .ca site. This is so confusing. I just want to to pay play my “jencjendndje” playlist and it’ll do it. Not sure how google gets it right and amazon can’t

DigitalPZ
Regular

It's on the Canadian site as well. The link appears to be a little different.

https://www.amazon.ca/mn/dcw/myx.html/ref=kinw_myk_redirect#/home/settings/payment

You can navigate there by pulling down the menu under Account & Lists at the top right and then choosing "Manage Your Content and Devices". Once you are there click on the settings tab.

eleckz
Music Fan
It just says my content. Doesn’t show any devices to manage

dsbanks99
Casual Listener

My account location was already set to Canada on the amazon site. On the iphone app, my country wasn't set, so I entered my Canadian postal code and chose Canada.

I tried renaming my playlists to things like "test", "123" and "billy" and the following statement worked:

"Alexa, play test playlist on Spotify", or "Alexa, play 123 playlist on Spotify".

Maybe my playlist names were too esoteric but I don't  think so.

Alexa still cannot satisfy, "Alexa, play hip hop songs on Spotify",

but it does now seem to be able to handle

"Alexa, play Hip Hop Central playlist on Spotify", where "Hip-Hop Central" is an actual playlist managed by the Spotify account.

BUT most annoying is it can't handle "Alexa play Discover Weekly playlist on Spotify", which is always a good one!!

So I feel like I have things 50% working.

DigitalPZ
Regular

eleckz, look along the top of that screen under the words "Manage Your Content and Devices". There should be 3 tabs, Your Content, Your Devices, and Settings. Click the settings tab.

eleckz
Music Fan
This is all I see on the .ca site.

https://imgur.com/a/AHTzB

But if I log into the .com amazon I see my devices and everything. Not sure why it would sign up my devices on .com and not .ca when I’m clearly in Canada

DigitalPZ
Regular

Try doing it from a PC instead of a phone.

el_matt0
Casual Listener

Same issue here. I'm in Canada, and my Amazon/Alexa device settings and Spotify account are both set to Canada. We've never been able to request music by genre, or custom playlists like My Discover Weekly (everything else works fine).

When initially setting up my Echo dots, I did temporarily switch my Amazon devices registration location to USA so that I could download the Sonos skill for Alexa. But since then changed everything back to Canada and it all seems to be working except for search by genre or custom playlist!

Oddly, I just changed the language setting for my individual Echo dots from "English (Canada)" to "English (US)" (ignoring the automated warning prompt), and this seems to have resolved issues I was having with a separate Alexa skill. Sadly no improvement to this problem! 

eleckz
Music Fan
We’ll never figure it out. Such a shame. Love my echo plus. But hate that I can’t just say play “my” playlist because it can’t find it. Have to go to my phone or tablet and play the playlist from there. It’s not like Spotify is a google product not sure why they can’t get it to work properly :(

tiguchan@gmail.com

tiguchan

It seems some developer screwed up the text encoding for searches. I created some lower case pay lists and they work fine. Add upper case letters and they fail to be found.

SUGGESTED POSTS