Alexa can't find my own playlists on Spotify

Solved!

Re: tiguchan@gmail.com

eleckz
Music Fan
Could be. I’ll give it a shot when I get home and change any uppercase letters all to lower and see if that helps

Re: tiguchan@gmail.com

eleckz
Music Fan
Tried it still nothing

Re: Alexa can't find my own playlists on Spotify

xxomegan
Regular

Hello! I just received an Amazon Echo for Christmas. I should mention I live in Canada. I set it up, and prompt Alexa to play my personal playlists on Spotify and she just says “I can’t see ____ playlist”.

i have tried following all the advice in this forum to no avail. I changed the home country in my Amazon app from USA to Canada to match my Echo profile in Canada, set the default music player to Spotify, synced everything, reset, hard reset, set up like new etc. This is so maddening. Absolutely any time I request to play my playlists she says she can’t see them. Any other tips? I can see quite a few of us are frustrated. Thanks in advance & happy holidays. 

Re: Alexa can't find my own playlists on Spotify - Status changed to: Need more info

Yoga888

My Spotify premium account qcknowledges my alexa connection, yet alexa speaks that it can't find spotty. What's the problem? What should I try?

xxomegan
Regular

Canadian Amazon Echo/Dot users:

I “solved” my inability to play my custom playlists via Spotify. As mentioned in my previous comment, I had issues playing my playlists, and would receive the “I can’t see _____ playlist” no matter how I worded the command.

After hours and hours of troubleshooting, I finally came to a solution that works. I first deregistered my Amazon account in the Amazon Alexa app. 

1. Open Amazon Alexa app, go to settings 

2. Under “devices”, click on your Amazon Alexa device name.

3. Scroll to the bottom to “about”. Click where it says registered to: and then click deregister.

4. Confirm you want to deregister your device.

5. Close out of the Amazon alexa app. 

Now, at this step, open the Amazon alexa app. I was prompted to sign into my Amazon account. You can try resigning back in and going through the setup (if it asks you to), and once set up, sign into your Spotify and make sure you select Spotify as your default music player. Then ask your Alexa to play your playlist: “Alexa, play my ____ playlist”. If it works, great, if not, keep reading.

Instead of signing into my usual Amazon account (that I previously used and would not work with my Spotify), I clicked “create new amazon account”. At this point, I was asked very few questions > my name, email address and password. I then went through the prompt to setup my Echo, (asked which language I wanted> I selected English (Canada) and was warned that I might have problem with Alexa understanding me. I ignored the warning and chose English (Canada) anyways.) I signed into my regular Spotify account, selected Spotify as my default music player and then asked Alexa to play my playlist: “alexa, play my ____ playlist”. Voila. It worked.

It seems that creating a new amazon account through the amazon Alexa app ensures it is US based (you can still setup your Amazon account to shop through the Amazon.ca website and have it shipped to your regular Canadian addres) and when doing so, it asked me to sign into my Spotify USA account (as opposed to previously being asked to sign into Spotify.ca). I know it sucks to make a new Amazon account but I truly tried every suggestion on this forum to no avail and this is the only thing that actually worked and is working very well. Hope this helps some of you! It’s maddening!

eleckz
Music Fan
Wow. I just did this and it worked instantly. Now I’m going to see if I can change the email to my other account so I can continue to use it with my Canadian account

xxomegan
Regular

Let me know if that works! 

eleckz
Music Fan
Trying to change account didn’t work. So only the USA account linked with Spotify seems to work for custom playlists. Anything else just use your Canadian account. She can still answer local questions and what not so doesn’t really matter to be honest but to have my actual Canadian account with working playlists on it would be way better.

xxomegan
Regular

Agreed. Wish I could use my Canadian account but I am just happy that she can actually play my playlists now.

Re: Alexa can't find my own playlists on Spotify - Status changed to: Need more info

Plf9

I have the same problem with Spotify/Alexa. None of the recommended solutions below have worked. Please advise. 

SUGGESTED POSTS