Premium

Country

UK

Device

Echo dot / iPad 

Operating System

iOS 12.2 on iPad. 

My Question or Issue

I can’t work out how to get Alexa linked to my Spotify. Guidance says Alexa app/ settings / music/ link new service, which leads to a Spotify button that doesn’t do anything. Manage Services has Amazon Music and Tune in added ok, but not Spotify.

I’ve seen a few variations over past years on here on how to make this happen, but can’t find one that works. UK premium service, UK address. Someone suggested using Alexa app and About to deregister echo dot, but I can’t see a deregister option there.

For a widely offered service, it surely can’t be this difficult to link the two up. I know I can play via Bluetooth but I wanted the extras this link up offers, including voice control and not tying the sound output on a device other than Alexa up. 

Hey folks,

Thanks for your patience while we looked into this.

We've made some changes backstage which should now fix the original issue as reported by users!

You can now use the steps below to link your Spotify + Alexa accounts:

1. First, make sure that both Spotify and the Amazon Alexa apps are on the latest versions available
  2. It's also a good idea to perform a soft reset/reboot your devices
  3. Then, log in to your Spotify account on a browser, head here and revoke access to Alexa
  4. On the Amazon Alexa app on your mobile device:
    • Tap the three lines menu on the top left > Settings > Music & Podcasts
    • Find Spotify in the list and click Enable to Use 
    • In the authorization screen, double check that you're trying to log in with the correct Spotify account and click Agree

If you're having trouble with any of the above, make sure to create a new thread in the relevant help board here.

Thanks again!

Comments
Guido

Hey @Eg11.

Thanks for getting in touch!

Here's how you can get started. Just download the Alexa app, open it, and link your Spotify account with these steps:

1. Tap the menu in the top-left.
  2. Tap Settings, then Music.
  3. Select Spotify, then Link account to Alexa.
  4. Enter your Spotify account details.

You can then set Spotify as a default music service, so you don’t need to specify “on Spotify” at the end of your voice commands:

1. Tap the menu in the top-left.
  2. Tap Settings, then Music.
  3. Tap Choose default music services.
  4. Select Spotify and tap DONE.

Now just ask Alexa to play something! E.g. "Alexa, play Discover Weekly". Check out the Amazon help site for supported languages.  For help setting up and troubleshooting, go to the Amazon help site.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have further questions.

Have a nice day!

AlexBanich

I have the same issue. Your response was already addressed by OP. You simply can not follow your instructions as that Spotify button that would allow you to start the login process is defunct and clicking it has no response. It is essentially a dead link.

sultan32

Spotify asked me to change my password this week, which I did. Since then Spotify dropped off Alexa. I went into the Alexa app / Link Service / Music Setting, and the Spotify link is a dead link. Apple, Pandora, Tidal all work, but Spotify is unreactive. I've turned off all four Alexa devices around my home, restarted my iPhone, updated Spotify on the desktop, but none of these steps have solved the problem. This is a new problem as the set up is supposed to be simple..... 

Spotify, can you please provide a solution?

Thx

FA

darnbees

This exact problem is happening to me right now like literally spot on and I have no idea what to do or how to fix this. Help would be greatly appreciated 

Guido
Status changed to: Need more info

Hey all!

We've been receiving reports from users that the link to Spotify is unresponsive within the Alexa app.

If you are experiencing this, try to reinstall both the Alexa app and the Spotify app. If this doesn't help, please leave a comment with the following:

• Spotify version
  • Alexa app version
  • Device model
  • OS version

We'll be able to inviestiate this issue and keep you up-to-date.

Looking forward to your reply!

Have a nice day.

Guido

Hey @Eg11@darnbees@sultan32 and @AlexBanich,

Please take a look at the most recent Status Update to see how you can help us resolve this issue.

Looking forward to your reply!

ruddred

Same problem here, Since I updated my password I cannot use Alexa devices - re-installed both the alexa & spotify apps with no luck.

Tghe Spotify link through the standard instructions is dead.

What do i do?

thx

Sharonkc

I'm also have the same issue. Spotify reset my password and required me to reset it. Now the service has dropped off of Alexa and the Spotify option in "link services" for Alexa does nothing.

Spotify App version: 8.5.7.601
Alexa App version: 2.2.274975
Device model iPhone XS
OS version: 12.3.1

I uninstalled both apps, restarted my phone and the issue persists.

Thanks for your help.
Sharon

Jezhop

I have the same issue. Spotify forced a password reset as my account seemed to be "compromised". I have family plan, some spam email account had been added as one of my family members which I deleted.

I then found Spotify disabled in Alexa and there is no way to re add it as the Spotify button seems to have been disabled 

Jezhop

... I reinst apps but that doesn't work.

I'm wondering if they have killed it because of accounts being hacked?

I like Spotify way more than Amazon music but if this isn't fixed asap I'm going to switch to Amazon, not sure I trust Spotify since that spam mail address was added to my account.