Alexa playing only radio no matter what command i give her

Plan

Free

Country

Romania

Device

Amazon echo dot gen 3 and Asus Zenfone

My Question or Issue

Until a few days ago Alexa was playing every song i would tell her with no problem but now whenever i issue a command her answer is always the same "[Whatever i said] Radio on Spotify" and then just starts playing a random radio song that has absolutely nothing to do with what i told her.

Me: "Alexa, play songs by Christina Perri"

Alexa: "Christina Perri Radio on Spotify" - starts playing random radio song

Another example

Me: "Alexa, play The Rose by LeAnn Rimes"

Alexa: "The Rose Radio by Spotify" -random song

Same thing goes for playlists, i named my only playlist "Ruby"

Me:"Alexa, play Ruby playlist"

Alexa:"Ruby Radio from Spotify" - random song

So far i tried linking unlinking accounts from spotify and amazon, deleted accounts, made new accounts, tried different phones for the alexa app, nothing worked...

Note: Alexa is having this issue on amazon echo dot 3 and my asus zenfone

I hope someone can help

42 Replies

I'm having the same issue with a Premium account and a new Echo Dot, so it's not about Free/Premium accounts 😞

I had the same issue, here is how to solve it: 

1) You need to have a premium Spotify account, Spotify app and Alexa app.

2) Enter to Spotify app on your phone. 

3) Go to configuration

4) Slide down until you find Voice assurance and enter there

5) The problem should be your Spotify account is not linked, click on the Amazon Alexa option to link them.

6) Accept all and you should be all set.

Plan

Free

Device

Alexa Echo

My Question or Issue

I am a brand new Spotify user. I have created my playlists using a web browser. Spotify is linked to my Alexa. From the browser, I can start playing a playlist and have it "Listening on Echo Dot". So far so good.

However, when I tried to ask Alexa “Alexa, play [playlist name] playlist.” (according to https://community.spotify.com/t5/FAQs/How-to-play-music-with-Alexa/ta-p/5283510), Alexa always responds with "[playlist name] Radio on Spotify", and it plays some random pieces that are not in my playlist.

I check the voice history on Alexa, and the words received by Alexa are exactly as stated in the above document.

I may be overlooking something very basic but I can't figure out what it is. Would love to be able to start my songs from Alexa, especially when I have shut down my PC and getting to bed.

Suggested posts