Lineup Signup
Hi! We're just rearranging some Desktop boards to make it easier to find what you're looking for. Please bear with us, and we'll be done very soon.
To post a new question or issue, please go here: Desktop (Windows), Desktop (Mac), Desktop (Linux), Web Player.

“Alexa shuffle playlist” always plays same song first, then shuffles

Highlighted

Re: “Alexa shuffle playlist” always plays same song first, then shuffles

Rifla2
Casual Listener

I just got Alexa a few days ago and thought I was going crazy.. I can't believe this bug even exists!

tfneuhaus

The Alexa "Shuffle <Playlist>" algorithm doesn't work nearly as well as the shuffle in the Spotify App.  It only shuffles through about the first 50 songs of my playlist instead of moving through the whole playlist. 

Rifla2
Casual Listener

Lucky, my spotify does 20 songs out of over 1,000.

Re: “Alexa shuffle playlist” always plays same song first, then shuffles - MORE ISSUES

Meganbatkin

Still waiting on this to be sorted, getting a bit ridiculous now!

sayhellorob

quite pathetic - makes you wanna switch back to Amazon Music just so shuffle works (and pay less w/ Prime!)

bsniz
Regular

I was able to solve this after finding some ideas on Reddit. 

Create your routine, add music, then, next to "Play" put in the name of your playlist then "in shuffle mode" without quotes. 

This will turn on shuffle mode as it plays. HOWEVER, it will not start on a random song! It always starts on the first song of the playlist, which was annoying until I discovered my new favorite playlist kickoff song "1 second of silence" - make this the first song in your playlist, and your routine will now start on a random song of your playlist. 

https://open.spotify.com/track/5V3b2UB9tCAHuqXj2b2EP7?si=M274Uq-jQC-7xNnxZoMN3w

...now if I could only get my routine to play music to a multiroom group... ;)

xunilhr
Casual Listener

Routine is not necessary.  I overcame the issue by changing from saying "Shuffle playlist My Mix" to "Play playlist My Mix in shuffle mode"

Rifla2
Casual Listener

Tried that but it played from the first track, and it wasn't shuffled even after that one.

xunilhr
Casual Listener
Ha! Worked twice then resorted back to the problem. Spotify doesn't play
SUGGESTED POSTS