Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms][Music] Artist and Composer mixed up in whole Spotify Classical Music catalog

[All Platforms][Music] Artist and Composer mixed up in whole Spotify Classical Music catalog

Hi all, 

I noticed that in some or most classical albums the artist often is mixed up with the composer. 

In the following examples I would like to display this issue. 

1) Alison Balsom is the artist, Johann Fasch is the composer. Shouldn't the artist be displayed under the song title ? 11IMG_0086.PNG33

2) In this Song it is displayed correctly. Justin Bieber is the artist and therefore Justin Bieber is displayed under the song title. 

3) In Apple Music it is displayed correctly. 

I noticed this issue in nearly every classical album. Artist and composer are mixed up. 

Another example: 

4) Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart is stated as artist. But the artist is Rene Jacobs & Akademie für alte Musik Berlin. 

Maybe this confusion in metadata can be addressed in future updates, although it concerns the whole Spotify classical music catalog. 

Kind regards,

Fabian

1 Reply

Unfortunately Spotify's sorting/metadata for classical music is not good, but tbh all similar services have this problem. Classical music doesn't have easy "Title/Artist/Album/Year" classification.

We might have "Title/Artist(s)/Composer(s)/Work/Album/Year of composition/Year of Release" or even more fields than this. 

A simple way to fix this might be just adding a "Composer" field (which other services do have, although it's rarely implemented correctly), but this would have it's own problems - you would have to ensure that every entry in the field is formatted exactly the same way. So in your example above, I bet you'd end up with - like you do on other services - some songs labelled "Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart", some "W. A. Mozart", some "Mozart, W. A.", and some just "Mozart", and all the variations on that. 

Basically what we need at the moment: 

• Add a "Composer" field to metadata
  • Impose standardisation across this field 
  • Add the option to submit metadata changes so that users can correct data, but importantly, not just implement/sync this change immediately without moderation, else you end up with 500 different labels for the same thing, like you have on Apple Music right now

Honestly I doubt that this will be implemented, sadly. 

Suggested posts