Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms][Playlists] Let us organize our playlists! Make it easier!

[All Platforms][Playlists] Let us organize our playlists! Make it easier!

Like many of you, I've been a longtime user of Spotify--since 2012! Over time, I've created many playlists--for road trips, parties, traveling on the bus, for breakups, for 2016, for important moments or to fill the mundane with meaning; I've lived my life through many soundtracks I've created and now the library for those moments is out of control! I have too many playlists that I can't organize in the current way Spotify allows us to.

The playlist viewing settings for all users, from the beginning, has been a single list. We are provided with only the ability to organize that one list. I'm a new member to the community and I was shocked that although this issue has been addressed first in 2012,  in 2015, and again in 2016, that this still remains as only an idea. It has been four years after the problem had been addressed. This Idea first gained it's largest following in 2012 and petered out in popularity throughout the years. It's decline in favorability is odd, seeing that as we are continuing to use this service, build this community, and make playlists, we should have predicted the endless amounts of playlists we would create and should have already addressed this problem. We still lack the organizational ability to easily sift through our most beloved playlists, and in turn, the important moments we have come to memorialize in our playlists.

We need to be able to somehow organize our playlists, either alphabetically, sequentially by year, by listening frequency, in folders, and as headers and sub-headers.We need to be given different ways to organize our playlists because the current list function is too difficult to organize. There is only one way to organize a list (from top-to-bottom). Even as the function exists, there aren't enough signifying markers to playlists, such as a star, to signify that this is one of our favorite playlists or one that we listen to most often. We can do this to songs, but we cannot do them to our Playlist library. We can organize music, but aren't able to organize the music we've organized into a searchable library.

Specifically, there aren't spatial ways of organizing the playlists (75% of people are reported to think visually in some way). I don't just have a list of files on my computer. I organize files on my desktop in folders spatially or under headings/folders and subheadings/subfolders. Spotify needs to provide us with new organizational tools that mimic the ways in which we already organize our digital lives. Developing a variety of ways to review our growing tastes, relive our memories, or simply being able to revisualize our organized music would make Spotify easier to use and would solve this problem new users will definitely encounter as their playlist list grows.

I'm hoping to avoid the problems with the posts I've linked above, one being that their requests are too specific. The ideas in them are there that I agree with, but the functions they request, such as the alphabetizing our playlists (@Olcique), aren't the only functions I'd like to be able to use in organizing my music. But according to how I think the ideas process works, the more attention this idea and it's related ideas get, the more likely the issue itself is to be addressed, so if you're reading this and you agree that we need better ways to organize our organized music, please vote for this idea AND the ideas I've hyper-linked in the first paragraph.

I only listed and referenced a few functions or ways of organizing our playlists. If you have a good idea, vote and comment below! Let me know how you think about music!

0 Replies

Suggested posts