Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Amazon Echo Dot: Spotify Default Player Issue

Amazon Echo Dot: Spotify Default Player Issue

Hi Folks,

I've set Spotify (premium JP account) as my default music player in the Echo Dot Music settings.

However, I still need to issue "Ask Spotify" or "... On Spotify" commands to get Alexa to play anything from Spotify. Failing to do so makes Alexa revert to Amazon Music for which I have no premium account so in the rare case it does make a match, I just get some preview.

Any ideas? Has anyone faced this issue? Screenshot attached of my settings. Firmware for the Echo Dot is updated.

Cheers,

Adrian

dot default player.jpg
dot firmware.jpg
29 Replies

Hey Adrian -

pinging you as I'm having the same issue. Any luck with the resolution?

many thanks

ciao!

Dario

I am having the same issue as well.

Same problem here. 

Same issue here! No idea how to solve this.

RJ

Same problem. It has finally stopped trying to bring it up on Amazon Music, and now its doing the iHeart radio app. Hopefully there's a solution somewhere...

I'd love to offer help but all I can do is tell you that the same is happening to me.

Thanks. Soooo frustrating because I bought 4 echo dots as gave 3 out as Xmas gifts. And the 3 others don't have this problem. Seems I'm the jinxed bloke ;(
A

I got in touch with Amazon and spoke with an Alexa support person on this, and she had no idea what was going on. She took my logs and sent them to the development team, but i heard nothing back. This was back in early December.

I wrote again recently and they asked me to call in again to submit logs again. The issue is that it takes hours to get in touch with someone at times. I'll try again once they are open and see what happens this time.

The support sucks a bit really. It sounds like its probably a bad device.

Any news on this? Frustrating when you forget to say "on spotify" and alexa starts to play a amazon music sample instaid.. Dont see what the -spotify default- option are good for if it still doesnt play spotify as a default...

Can I ask ? how did you set spotify as default music player on echo dot ? Mine is greyed out

Go on music settings through the Alexa app and make Spotify your default music player

It is greyed out. I'm a premium member but I can't add it for the life of
me.

Any luck?  Having the same problem here in Sweden (the home of Spotify)

Sadly it's the same here and there seems to be no solution to the problem. The strange thing is that some other echo dots purchased a couple of months before seem to work fine with Spotify which makes me think it could be a hardware issue.

Sadly it's the same here and there seems to be no solution to the problem. The strange thing is that some other echo dots purchased a couple of months before seem to work fine with Spotify which makes me think it could be a hardware issue.

Yes, actually !!! I went thru support on the echo via the app and asked
them why Spotify was greyed out.

This is how to do it:

1) change your account to the U.S via support. Use any address. Tell them
it's your friend from Junior High school.

2) check your account and spotify should be the default. Stay chatting to
support.

3) all your kindle stuff is also changed (as expected). So tell them that
since your family also reads on your kindle, could they (support) change
the store back to original country.

4) Spotify is still the default.

# support told me that it is easier just to make a new U.S based account
and use that just for the echo dot. If I have any more trouble.

Yes, actually !!! I went thru support on the echo via the app and asked
them why Spotify was greyed out.

This is how to do it:

1) change your account to the U.S via support. Use any address. Tell them
it's your friend from Junior High school.

2) check your account and spotify should be the default. Stay chatting to
support.

3) all your kindle stuff is also changed (as expected). So tell them that
since your family also reads on your kindle, could they (support) change
the store back to original country.

4) Spotify is still the default.

# support told me that it is easier just to make a new U.S based account
and use that just for the echo dot. If I have any more trouble.

Mine is a US account. It's not greyed out. It actually allows me to select Spotify as my default player however I still need to add 'on spotify' to my commands for music as otherwise it tries playing from amazon music.

Mine is a US account. It's not greyed out. It actually allows me to select Spotify as my default player however I still need to add 'on spotify' to my commands for music as otherwise it tries playing from amazon music.

Suggested posts