Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Amazon Echo] Multi-room music

Solved!

[Amazon Echo] Multi-room music

What is the timeline for Spotify to support Amazons new Multi-room music feature? 

182 Replies

I'm desperate for this too and considering Amazon Music...

Definitely want this feature, and soon, otherwise I'm off to Amazon Music.

+1 

Please add Echo Multi-room support!

I love Spotify, but I want to enjoy music in my echo multi room environment!

Would be a great xmas gift for everyone 🙂

Said this today in my "What's new with Alexa?" email from Amazon:

Multi-Room Music allows you to play and control music across multiple, compatible Echo devices at the same time. Available for Amazon Music, TuneIn and Spotify (coming soon).

Spotify doesn't provide a multiroom solution, that is done by the partners.

/Björn

I just bought Google Home to replace my echos setup. Amazon doesn't appear
to support multi room to the extent Google has. For us, this is the main
use purpose and I feel happy to switch.

I don't think this is spotify holding Amazon back, I had no problem setting up multiroom with Google home, I switched this weekend from Alexa to Google, I'm not willing to give up spotify because of Amazon's trying to push their music service on me for multi room

Yesterday I paid for three months of Spotify as  my second and third Echo device arrived... to my surprise I learned that my only paid music account is the one where I can't stream to multiple rooms. Very disappointing. When these three months are over I will cancel Spotify and switch to Pandora unless I know that this is something that will be arriving in the near future. Spotify has always been my favorite music service for multiple reasons but with my Alexa Investments no multi-room will be a deal-breaker, unfortunately.

How is it so far? I ordered my Google home setup Friday. The multiroom
looks great. Can even setup separate groups. Can't do that with the echos.
Controlling Amazon music with echo was a nightmare.

Music wise it has been great. Three devices and the audio in in perfect sync. It allows me to not play mosic from one soirce so loud but have reasonable levels in each room instead. I have been running free pandora radio because it will tell me "spotify cannot play on groups playing here instead". I do beleive alexa does different groups and setting it up has not been too annoying. I have onlt set up one gorup for "everywhere" at this point, however. 

Great! Alexa does groups but a speaker can only be assigned to one group at
a time. Sonif u have an everywhere group, you're screwed. Also, multi room
on Alexa does not work with Bluetooth speakers. It is almost as if Amazon
rushed the multiroom feature to market without it being fully developed.

Works just the way you think it would, agreed on the Amazon music being a nightmare, when you create a group on the home, that group will show up in the spotify devices, you are going to like it. 

@jaybitchtits wrote:
Great! Alexa does groups but a speaker can only be assigned to one group at
a time. Sonif u have an everywhere group, you're screwed. Also, multi room
on Alexa does not work with Bluetooth speakers. It is almost as if Amazon
rushed the multiroom feature to market without it being fully developed.

Think you’re being a bit harsh. I agree those extra features would be great, but they’re easily fixed through software updates, and I’d rather have them working now and then improved on iteratively than have to wait til they added all bells and whistles. There’s a good app called AmpMe that lets you sync bluetooth speakers through Spotify (not Alexa compatible), though doesn’t work as flawlessly as the Echo multiroom with Tunein, Amazon music etc.

Am really surprised Spotify hasn’t given any sort of update given the number of comments on this page.

It is surprising, but I really think it's not spotify that is the problem as to why this didn't work, if that is the case why wouldn't they say, "it's not us, it's them" 

Getting bored now, might end up going to Amazon unlimited as it seems that Spotify will not let us know what is going on with this 😞

Any updates to this? 

Yes. I've moved to Amazon Music, 3 month trial for £0.99

In the era of the smart home, this is a fundamental feature.

Competitors offer it, so Spotify will lose customers until they sort it. Which is a shame because Spotify has the best user interface of all the subscription music providers.

The delay may be with Amazon, and I'm sure they are not exactly incentivised to help their competitor to Prime Music. But regardless, Spotify need to respond to their customers!

Come on Spotify, either fix it or pressurise Amazon. You're losing customers. I'm giving it until my next subscription period, then will have to jump ship.

Amazon doesn’t support Bluetooth in multi room audio because it would be difficult to maintain accurate audio sync across a mix of internal (or fixed connection) speakers, alongside Bluetooth speakers which have inherent latency (transmission delay) which differs from model to model. As a result, the sound would reach each speaker at a slightly different time and make for an uncomfortable out of sync listening experience.

Suggested posts