Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Amazon Echo] Multi-room music

Solved!

[Amazon Echo] Multi-room music

What is the timeline for Spotify to support Amazons new Multi-room music feature? 

182 Replies

Wishful thinking, Amazon will never be compatible with Chromecast

It don't work on my original echo 😞 the dot is fine.

It can't be far off though.

Yes, but there’s no reason spotify couldn’t be smart enough to sync both, given as it is compatible with both.

Spotify engineers, this is your next task: make spotify multiroom playback device agnostic. Thanks!

For those of you who are starting to see some results, what firmware versions are your echos/dots, and are you USA or UK based? Thanks

Just checked now, and indeed Spotify is now working on Echo's multiroom feature. Awesome  🙂

I now have it working as well and it is perfect!   Right through the app in the top notch Spotify UI.

I am extremely disappointed in the lack of communication that Spotify gave over the last three months.    All we wanted to know was that it was being worked on.   We got nothing!    

Spotify is a great product with subpar customer communication.  

It does seem to have been implemented. I'm playing Spotify on grouped players and the group is showing in Spotify. 

So happy that I'm back. The Spotify player is light years ahead of Amazon. Happy to take out family premium now this is all sorted,  whoever was responsible. Thank you. 

From the recent posts on here, it seems like the implementation is using Alexa's multi-room solution, NOT Spotify Connect. Thus, you will need to purchase an Amazon Echo for each set of speakers.

If it were using Spotify Connect, then you are not limited to having to use an Echo for each speaker. You can tell Alexa to "play Spotify from my computer" or "play Spotify from my phone". This would be great if you have a home theater PC connected to your TV.

Spotify Connect support with Alexa would be a much better solution.

I just received my second Echo (first generation) I can play from Spotify to the group and it will play in both Echos, but if I tell Echo to play from Spotify to the group it tells me this is not supported. Not a big deal though.

I'm getting the same thing. Can initiate play everywhere through the
Spotify app, but speaking to Alexa and asking to play 'blah blah'
everywhere is not yet supported.

From the replies on here, it looks to me as if Spotify Connect is very much being used for Echo multi room, and that Amazon being able to present a multi room group as a Connect destination was the root of the delay. 

I don’t believe Spotify needed to develop a multi room solution using Connect as there are enough multi room vendors already doing that.

Yeah I can play the multiroom in the spotify app. But if I ask Alexa play... in multiroom it says I can't play spotify in multiroom playing in here instead.

That's sad

As most others have posted, my "everywhere" group is also now available as a device option within the Spotify app and it works. 

I did need to delete the group within the Alexa app, and then re create it for it to show up within the Spotify app as an available option. 

Also, autio control does not work like others have reported. 

Volume level adjustment when playing to the everywhere group using Spotify is somewhat odd, but I'm not complaining at all. 

When you first play to everywhere there is a  group-wide volume level that gets applied to each echo and when you adjust volume using your phone, it ajusts all echos in unison. This volume adjustment is VERY slow for me, lots of delay. 

Once all echos are playing at unison volume, you can individually tweak each echo volume one at a time using it's buttons or by voice, however if you adjust the group-wide volume again using your phone, it seems to sum all of your different volumes together into an average and re-unisons them all. 

In example, you have two echos in a group and begin playing Spotify to that group. You set your phone volume at "5" which sets both echos to 5 at the same time. If you then manually adjust one echo to volume "1" and the other to volume "3", then begin adjusting the group volume again on your phone, both echos will "snap" to a volume of approximately "2" (1+3 averaged together). 

Does my description make sense? As an A/V professional, I spent a lot of time testing this last night. 

Let me know what you guys find. 

5DE8868E-3F33-4075-B99F-B4DD730EA631.png

Multi-room audio playback now also working from Echo's side, just say "Alexa, play Christmas Everywhere"   🙂

How about, Echo, play music upstairs? If you have an upstairs group that
is. Will it allow you to play music only on certain groups?

Yes!!! I am fully working now. 

1 x dot and 1 x original echo working in harmony 🙂

Merry Christmas Everyone!

Spotify finally started supporting multi-room playback on the echo this week!

Hey,

Sorry for the delay here! This feature is now available.

If anyone's experiencing any issues, just let us know and we'll be glad to help 🙂

Happy listening, 
Leo

I had one issue where I tried invoking multi-room playback and it wouldn't play any audio, but the music player within the Alexa app showed that the song was playing.

I deleted the multi-room group and set it up again and that seemed to fix the problem.

Leo,

Though we didn't like Spotify's 'silence' (pun intended) during the last couple of months, I can assure you this will be my best Christmas present, unless my wife gets me that Porsche....

Cheers.

Suggested posts