Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Amazon Echo can't find songs of a genre suddenly

Amazon Echo can't find songs of a genre suddenly

Starting today, I can't get Alexa to play genres or find "types" of music.

For example, these commands that worked yesterday, no longer work"

"Alexa, play rap music [on Spotify]"
"Alexa, play classical music [on Spotify]"
"Alexa, play video game music [on Spotify]"

She just responds with "I couldn't find any [genre/type] songs on Spotify". I wasn't having these issues yesterday, anyone know what's going on or has a similar experience?

Thanks.

10 Replies

I know it's not very helpful, but 'me too' 

It is helpful. I'm somewhat happier knowing that I'm not the only one experiencing this. Hopefully, it will catch the attention of someone at Amazon/Spotify and get fixed.

I chatted with Spotify support and they were unable to solve the issue. A ticket was opened to which they said the problem lies in the fact that “Amazon Echo is not available in Canada so Spotify may not function with its full set of features”. I don’t understand why it originally worked if that’s the case. Anyway, I really hope they fix this, otherwise I may consider returning it. 

Not the case for me - I'm in the UK, and Echo is available here. I'll have
to have a talk to support too!

Me too, from Canada, Amazon Echo Spot - all country settings for Amazon devices and Spotify profile are set to Canada.  LOL re: their "not available in Canada" comment, considering that Amazon Echo's were available in Canadian (Ontario) stores throughout the recent holidays.

Also from Canada and I am having the same issue.  Very disapointing.  The main reason I purchased Alexa is so I don't have to go into my phone to select the song.  Now that is all I am doing.

I’m having the same problem. Also in Canada. I got an Echo for Christmas. It worked great until about the beginning of February. Now when I say “Alexa play dance music” it says “I couldn’t find any dance songs.” If I say “Alexa play top 40” she will just resume whatever was last playing on Spotify no matter what type of music was last playing. So frustrating! It worked great for about 6 weeks. If it worked the way it is working now I would’ve promptly taken it back and just bought a better quality Bluetooth speaker cause that’s essentially all it is to me now. Hopefully there is a fix to this! 

Same here.

It stopped working for me after Feb 23.

Hi everyone , I know it has been a while since the original post , but wanted to check if anyone has a solution 

unfortunately , I am still facing this problem

😞

The response to the command ‘Alexa play some rock songs on spotify’ is 

“I could not find any rock songs on spotify’ arrrggggg !!!

My Amazon Music prime preview just ended, so I switched to Spotify and this genre problem continues. I wonder if it's because in Canada we are locked to Amazon Music for "stations" maybe that's what genres she defaults to. But if it worked before, maybe its just a monopoly battle.

In other Canadian issues, how do you get Alexa to pick bands with the same name? When I ask her to play Canadian artist "Haywire" she picks the American artist "Haywyre". Both are in the library, but you can only pronounce it one way.

alexa music stations.PNG

Suggested posts