Plan

Premium

Country

Device

Apple TV 4K

Operating System

tvos

My Question or Issue

Spotify's tvOS app has many flaws and this one bothers me the most.

You cannot even choose the streaming quality. It's set permanently to reportedly 160kbps, which is laughably low for a platform, that can and is being used with HiFi audio. Please, let us pick 320kbps – it's one of the features we pay for in Premium subscription.

• TV
9 Replies

I just discovered this is the same on Spotify Android TV app. Just hooked my TV up to a high-quality DAC / stereo and wondered why familiar songs sounded so hollow. Now I know why.

Hi there folks,

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community!

Spotify constantly strives to improve the user experience with its features and the easiest way to achieve this is by regular app updates. That’s why we appreciate you taking the time to share your suggestion with the Community. 

If you think other users might also like it, go ahead and create an idea on the relevant idea board. We always take new ideas and feedback into consideration to improve the app. Here you can read more on how ideas work.

We also suggest checking this help article for useful tips on how to submit an idea. As a heads-up, it's good to know that the higher the number of votes an idea gets, the more likely it is for the idea to be implemented.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any more questions.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I just submitted my first "idea" concerning the capped lower bitrate on Apple and Android TV Spotify apps. I'm sure the development team has know of this issue for a long time, but hopefully seeing so many people being disappointed by not being able to get what they pay for with their Premium account will bump up the priority.

Thanks to wheel-addict, who submitted this as an Idea as well. 

Everyone who is concerned about this issue as well, please, go and Vote the Idea up here on Spotify Ideas.

Thanks and pretty please, Spotify devs!

Anyone knows if Spotity plans to fix this? I tried Apple Music and then went back to Spotify and the different is just sad. Spotify in the Apple TV sounds Awful with my home theater 

Agree!

Only few years ago, everyone seemed okay with overly compressed streaming, being “good enough for everyone”. But now there’s Bluetooth with AptX (HD) supporting lossless, and lossless streaming over Airplay is totally common. And broadband connection is no longer a privilege, it’s a given. The market has changed. Being a Spotify fan for years, I hope this change will be embraced by Spotify, and help us to enter into the age of lossless hi-fi streaming. So that we don’t have to move to other services like Tidal. After all it’s just cd quality folks!

I only really listen to Spotify going through my Apple TV.  And even though I have very fast internet, Spotify at times will still skip and fast forward.  I would turn the audio quality to normal, but that function is unavaliable.  This pushes me to open Apple iTunes and go to a playlist there.  

I really dont get why the feature isnt included from the beginning? You can change quality ob your smartphone but not on the device which is constantly connected to internet and a hifi system? Doesnt make much sense to me…

Suggested posts