Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Artist's Page Spammed, Songs Deleted

Artist's Page Spammed, Songs Deleted

Has anyone noticed that almost all of the songs on Mr Mister's artist page has been replaced with some weird-ass techno "remix" crap? It's like spam for Spotify 😕 The songs list "Mr Mister" as one of the artists, but have pretty much no relation to them.

What's going on, and can it be fixed?

2 Replies

Hey pseudonoma,

It looks like the songs you have mentioned are remixes which Mr Mister has done. 

Occasionally we are required to remove some content, which may explain why some original tracks have been removed. 

Thanks for your reply Grace, but I think it's a bit more complicated than that.

I poked around a bit more, and found two pages with a similar name, but very different content. There's Mr. Mister's original page, and there's a similarly-named Mr Mister page.

Here's why I think it's deliberate:

1. The original page is the one I listen to regularly, classics from a great band. The songs on this page are untouched, and the listen count makes sense. The "remixes" don't show up on this page. If Mr. Mister actually did remixes, why wouldn't these songs show up on their own page, alongside the songs they actually did?

2. The remix page is named "Mr Mister". Notice they cleverly removed the period after "Mr". This page has one, exactly one actual Mr. Mister song, "Hunters of the Night", from their 1984 album I Wear The Face. The rest of the songs list "Mr Mister" as one of the artists, not "Mr. Mister". I'm not entirely sure how Spotify's back-end works, but I suspect there's a reason they put one legit song in the page.

I honestly think this is deliberate. When you search for Mr. Mister, the classic 80s band, the other page will pop up in the search. Start an Artist Radio based on Mr. Mister, and you'll get weird techno stuff thrown in with regular 80s music. 

I know you guys must be busy dealing with actual pressing issues, but I thought someone might want to know the system's being exploited, and a legit artist's name is being hijacked to sneak in content by someone unrelated.

Cheers.

Suggested posts