Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Auto crossfading in playlists - how to stop this?

Solved!

Auto crossfading in playlists - how to stop this?

Question:

Hey all, I have been listening to some playlists on spotify (Hype and also Sub Low for example) and have noticed that they are auto crossfading songs - I dont seem to be able to stop this from happening. This happens on both pc and android. I was wondering if there is a way to stop this from happening so I can listen to the full songs in the playlist?

I have made sure that my crossfading is turned off in my spotify app settings.  

Thanks! 

Plan

Premium

Country

UK 

Device

android and windows laptop

Operating System

Windows 10

33 Replies

Horrible idea. If there is a crossfade songs option then it should be global for ANY playlist you are listening to. Very bad user experience!!!

Marked as solution

Hey there folks,

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community regarding this!

We really appreciate all your feedback about this.

If you would also prefer to have all playlists without Crossfade, we'd recommend adding your +VOTE and comments in this existing Community idea. This way, you can stay up to speed with any updates we have regarding this.

You can also check here for more info on how your feedback reaches Spotify.

In the meanwhile, a workaround is to create a playlist like @Guido suggested including the songs that you'd like to listen to without the Crossfade effect.

Hope this helps clarify things but don't hesitate to give us a shout if there's anything else we can help with!

Have a lovely day 🙂

KaterinaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself! 

Hello Spotify..

If I wanted crossfade, I would set that in settings..

It seems that you added this feature in radio as well lately which is now irritating me so much that I am actually considering to signup for Tidal.. sorry but this is just nonsense...

OK if playlist author is just spotify user and wants to do this then let em, but do not do this for spotify playlists if I do not have this set up in preferences.. why do you even have this in preferences then if it does not make any difference any more?

Hello Spotify..

If I wanted crossfade, I would set that in settings..

It seems that you added this feature in spotify curated playlists as well lately which is now irritating me so much that I am actually considering to signup for Tidal.. sorry but this is just nonsense...

OK if playlist author is just spotify user and wants to do this then let em, but do not do this for spotify playlists if I do not have this set up in preferences.. why do you even have this in preferences then if it does not make any difference any more?

Dear Spotify,

I have cast my vote for making this a user preference. It is annoying to have a playlist full of tracks I like, only to be forced to make a copy of it because of automixing. At first I even thought there was a bug in Spotify on a whole.

I'm a developer myself and I'm pretty sure it should not be a lot of work having a user preference controlling this behaviour. Please pick this up in an upcoming sprint, the community would be most grateful!

Best regards,

Rinke van den Berg

I agree with everyone else here saying the proposed solution is not a good one. As a paying member I'd like to be able to control whether playlists crossfade or not. (And if a product owner is reading this, I accidentally made a user story for you 😉

I lost a lot of time trying to figure out why the songs were having this erratic behavior. When I played the song the time in the player differed from the one stated in the playlist, and when the song ended, it started from the middle of the next song. It's insane, I restarted the app, deleted the cache, I seriously thought there was something seriously wrong with the app, the crossfade was disabled, and it only happened in that one playlist. I almost lost my temper from this issue.

Whoever decided it was a good idea to impose this feature regardless of the user preference regarding crossfade, and without any way to switch it off or any warning about it, made a very poor judgment and should reconsider. It's making the user interface intentionally confusing and non-predictable, it's terrible UX.

The worst thing in this whole story is that Spotify tries to hide a bug by telling us that it's a feature. This typically shows how projects at Spotify must works...or should I say: must not works.

I am myself a developer and would like to tell the Spotify teams that if they need some help to fix this issue (and again: this is an bug, not a feature request) I'm able to help.

This bug is affecting a lot of users around the world but because this forum is very bad referentiated only the most angry/determinated people are posting there.

One more thing, next month I will think about writtingan article on Medium about that and talk to some tech journalist friends then move to Deezer if the development team hasn't done anything at that time.

Please don't mark this as "Solved" as it is by no means "Solved." You have simply directed people to vote on an Idea that hasn't been touched in almost a year and is buried under suggestions such as "Backwards E for explicit Eminem songs" (because they're a whole new level of explicit and Eminem's stylized name has a backwards E in it!)

People end up here because they are doing a browser search because it is a "Feature" that was foisted upon them with no way to turn off. Many of us have had playlists saved in our library that were curated by Spotify. We found out by surprise that this "feature" had been snuck in. When we went to find a way to turn it off, we were given the original option to "add all of the songs to our own personal playlist" or to vote on an "Idea" to have what many believe to be a simple feature added to toggle between crossfading or not.

Many of us came to Spotify because of it being, in our opinions, the best choice with features that let us have more control over what we wanted to listen to. Please bring back that Spotify. Give us a choice.

Wow that is quite dumb, the choice should always be up to the consumer and should not have to deal with an obscure workaround to get what they want. Spotify you are losing touch with your consumers and this will be your downfall if you do not start listening to them. 

I agree with the user on this one. I'm a big fan of the playlists that are curated by Spotify, and I like how they are sometimes updated with new music. It's unfortunate then that I have to copy the songs into a static private playlist to disable the crossfade, because I'd have to do that every time that the real playlist receives updates.

It's unclear why the on/off switch to crossfade music in the preferences doesn't affect these playlists, so I'd call that out as a bad user experience. If I disable crossfading in my preferences, then I'd assume I won't have crossfading in any and all of my playlists, private or public.

Old thread, but is it "10pm" by Gold Jones?

wth?!!!

An actual Fix for this has been implemented. Disable Automix 

Suggested posts