Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Autoplay on Google Home not working

Autoplay on Google Home not working

Plan

Premium family

Country

United States

Device

Pixel 3

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

Whenever I start a playlist or shuffle my liked songs, either casting to Google Home or starting as a voice prompt from assistant on Google home, autoplay will not work. I have it on for the two accounts in my house, but music always stops at the end of the playlist. 

I frequently see people saying they can't turn it off, but mine is the exact opposite problem!

38 Replies

Just popping in to say I am having exactly the same problem - did you find a solution to this by any chance?

I also have premium, and all devices are set to autoplay, but when playing through google home or chromecast audio the music stops at the end of album or playlist.

It definitely used to work, and like you I can only find people struggling to turn it off!

I haven't really tested this, but I believe I was informed that for autoplay to work, you can't shuffle the playlist. If you start it from the beginning, it should autoplay. 

While that's at least some resolution, it seems to me that autoplay should function regardless of whether shuffle is active or not.

Thanks for the reply, but that's not the case for me. Doesn't matter if it's an album or playlist, played in order or on shuffle, the music always stops at the end. I have autoplay enabled on Spotify.

Just to add, after reading something on reddit, if I select a single track to play then autoplay will kick in after that one track. Just not after a whole album or playlist.

It definitely used to work, and it's only just stopped working in the last month or two... Very annoying, I used to use that feature loads without even thinking about it.

A solution from Spotify would be greatly appreciated.

I have this same issue.
Autoplay has never worked for me, not once. The music stops at the end of any playlist I am listening to. Doesn't matter if it is my own or a daily mix.

I've tried everything recommended online, toggled the autoplay option, reinstalled, uninstalled and installed again. I've also moved the install location.
Nothing works.

Doesn't matter if I cast from my phone either.

Hey there folks, 

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community!

We'd like to look into this further, so we have a couple of questions.

Does music play automatically on the end of playlists/albums if you're playing straight from your phone/computer without being connected to the smart speaker?

Does this happen when you're playing music from a certain device or also when using voice commands? 

A thing you can try: Go to the app settings > Devices > switch Spotify Connect in the background to enabled.

We'll be on the lookout for your replies. Thanks.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi, I just tested this now.

I'm running the Spotify app on Windows 10 from the built in app store.

I usually play from the Windows 10 app and cast to my Google Home devices and this is where it stops playing. I don't use the voice commands to play music.

I tried playing straight from the Windows 10 app on my PC and I got a message saying that similar songs will play and I can confirm that at the end of one of my Daily Mix playlists that it carried on playing similar music.

So for me, the issue is autoplay does not work when casting from the Spotify app in Windows 10 to a Google Home device. I've tried casting from my phone and same issue. Without casting it works fine.

Hi @Bobmugabe,

Thanks for the quick reply.

It seems that this issue is caused by the Google Home device's settings, since Autoplay works normally when not streamed.

Can you try to play a song using a voice command and see whether Song Radio starts automatically? Also try playing a song radio and cast it to the speaker and see if that keeps playing similar songs.

Keep us posted.

AlexModerator

Hi,

Test 1:

I closed the Spotify app on my PC and phone and asked my Google Home device to play a specific song by an artist.

It seemed to play only that artist and songs from any of their album after the initial song. I skipped a few tracks but it stuck to that artist. I didn't get to the end of their list as they have many songs.

Test 2:

I ran Spotify from my PC and cast to my Google Home device. I played that same song from the same artist and the playlist contained songs from somewhat similar bands as well as other songs I have 'liked' in the past. But once that playlist was done, the music stopped and Spotify returned to the original song waiting for me to hit play.

So with voice it seemed to only play that artist and from Spotify casting it seemed to play a playlist of different artists and then stop at the end.

Hi again @Bobmugabe,

Thanks for sharing this info and going through this troubleshooting process. We've passed this on to the right team and will let you know if this is expected behavior when streaming to the Google home devices.

Cheers.

AlexModerator

Casting from my Android phone to a Google home speaker. Started adding
songs to the queue. At the end of the queue, the music stopped and did not
continue.

Hey @adamjcyr,

Thanks for searching for the answer you need here.

As @Alex mentioned in his post, at the moment this is expected behavior for Google Home devices. If you'd like the option to toggle Autoplay on/ off also for there we'd recommend you take a look in our Idea Exchange and see if someone has already submitted an idea for this feature to be added  and if not post your own. That's a great way for us for us to see what improvements our users would like to have and how many people support a specific idea. 

Hope you find this useful. Keep us posted if you have any questions.

Mihail Moderator

Plan

Premium

Country

UK

Device

All

Operating System

All

My Question or Issue

Until a couple of weeks ago, when I'd ask Spotify to play a song through any medium (Google home/Alexa/Phone) Spotify would play that song, and then instantly go into radio after. This was great as it meant I didn't have to set up a playlist or fuss around, Spotify just knew.

Now however Spotify plays one song and that's it. This was SUCH a good feature and introduced me to so many new artists. Now I have to say "Hey Google play X radio" and most of the time it doesn't understand a damn thing I'm saying.

Any chance we can bring that back? It's such a little thing but it was so simple

Hey @Ddibbs,

Thanks for the post.

Could you try going into Settings on the Desktop or Mobile app and check if Autoplay is enabled. You can try toggling it on/ off.

If that doesn't do the trick, let us know if Autoplay won't start only for a song you've requested or for playlists/ albums as well. And whether this is only true when you request a song through Google Assistant or does it happen when you start a song from your phone and stream that over Spotify Connetc on your smart speaker.

Keep us posted.

AlexModerator

I have the same problem - when I play a chosen song (via search in the mobile app, or "hey google play X" with a Google Assistant device), it only plays that song then it stops. Autoplay is enabled in the mobile app. Playlist plays multiple songs as normal, I haven't tested if it runs on to a radio once it's played the whole list.

Really disappointing if it's a deliberate change (I hope it's not and it can be fixed). It's pretty much the only way I use Spotify. Good way to discover stuff too, as Ddibbs said.

Test

Yes I have the same problem. It used to work and now for the last two weeks it does not. 

Hey @MrSchnookums,

Thanks for posting in the Community.

Could you inform us also about the versions of Spotify you have currently on. Have you tried checking the Settings menu on the desktop version as well (if you have it installed), to see if the feature is toggled on there too. If nothing of this helps, could we also ask you for a short screen recording of the situation, so we can take a closer look and advise you better.

Let us know how things work out, we'll be keeping an eye out for your reply.

Kiril Moderator

I have the same problem now, it used to work and is no longer working. I have it enabled on my desktop app

Suggested posts