Premium family

Country

United States

Device

Pixel 3

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

Whenever I start a playlist or shuffle my liked songs, either casting to Google Home or starting as a voice prompt from assistant on Google home, autoplay will not work. I have it on for the two accounts in my house, but music always stops at the end of the playlist. 

I frequently see people saying they can't turn it off, but mine is the exact opposite problem!

38 Replies

Hi Kiril,

Android app version 8.6.82.1113  (autoplay on)
Windows desktop version 1.1.73.517  (autoplay on)

Further testing possibly narrows down the issue (for me at least):
Mobile app, playing on mobile's speakers - song radio
Mobile app, casting to smart speaker - one song
Smart speaker, activated via "Hey Google, play <song>" - one song
Windows app, playing on desktop speakers - song radio
Windows app, casting to smart speaker - song radio

Perhaps a problem with the interaction of the casting firmware or speaker firmware with the current Spotify version, so that might be out of Spotify's hands.

In case this is of any use to anyone, speaker in question is JBL Link20.
System firmware version: 1690
Cast firmware: 1.44.219548

Hi @MrSchnookums,

Thank you for keeping in touch and sharing all those insights.

After researching this, we can confirm that currently the Autoplay feature can't be toggled on/off in external devices that don't use the mobile/desktop app such as smart speakers, Web Player and such. 

However, other users have already suggested the possibility to control Autoplay across all platforms and devices, and submitted this live idea that has gained a lot of traction during the past weeks. You can support it by adding your +VOTE, that'll make sure you stay up-to-date with any relevant updates about it.

Let us know if you have any questions.

MafeGModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I'm having the same issue here.

"Hey Google, play xxx", she will play the song and no longer continue to the song radio afterwards. 

Autoplay is toggled "on" on both my laptop and mobile, and both apps are up to date. I have the Google Home Mini as the device casting to.

I really hope this is a temporary issue as this was the best way to discover new music.

I'm wondering if this is part of a larger issue with 3rd party clients, see my post here: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Your-Library/Issues-with-Spotify-Song-Radio-autoplay-possibly-conne...

Same problem here.

Either via phone app or voice command -- requesting artist used to begin station of that artist, requesting song used to begin station of similar songs. Tried toggling autoplay on and off on phone and linking/unlinking spotify to Google Home device. Any advice would be much appreciated, great feature for having a baby in the house.

POSSIBLE SOLUTION: Went through customer care over chat and a "clean reinstall" of the app on my iPhone solved this problem for me.

Instructions here: https://community.spotify.com/t5/FAQs/How-can-I-perform-a-clean-reinstall-of-the-app/ta-p/4746485?_g...

False alarm, still have the issue.

It has never worked for me.

The "radio" stations are just playlists. Same songs every time.

I cast my music to Google Home devices, speakers around my flat. I do this through the Windows 10 desktop app and as soon as I am casting the auto play similar music option does not work. Does not matter if it is the desktop app or phone app, it does not work. So I am stuck listening to the same songs that appear on playlists. Once the playlist finishes, I just have silence and I have to look for another "radio" station to play.

There was an official reply further up which stated "working as intended" meaning... not at all.

It's very frustrating!! I used to ask google home to play a music and the autoplay did the work playing correlated next music!! A perfect use case!! This function suddenly stopped some months/weeks ago!! Now, it plays only the requested music, even the Autoplay turned on in Spotify App. I'm noticing that integration between Spotify and google home devices is getting worse with a very low effort from Spotify to improve it. Unfortunately, I'm going to test Youtube Music and get out of Spotify if I get a better service and integration over there.

I've been using Spotify for years and not once has the autoplay feature worked for me. I've tried all sorts of fixes and during this time I have reinstalled Windows, a fresh install, and nothing. I've been through 3 phones in this time and also never worked. I have no idea how anyone has ever gotten it to work. The option is enabled on all versions of the app I have used.

I used to use Google Play music and it was great. Casting and continuous music worked all the time, but then they changed it to Youtube music and I was put off.

I tried Deezer for a while and it was great, their radio stations are actually radio stations and not this playlist nonscence. But their desktop app does not support casting, their support says it used to but Google changed the code. That was 2 years ago and still they have not bothered to fix it. So I had to return to Spotify.
Groove's app was trash tier, but I see they discontinued the service now and the Groove app only has an advert for Spotify in it.
Spotify frustrates me to no end, but it's the only service that has a desktop app that can cast.

Please fix your app or I will cancel by subscription and use YouTube music instead

Hey thanks for getting back!

Sadly, that was my first thought too but it didn't work.

This is happening on two separate accounts too

Hey folks,

Thanks for posting here.

There will be an option to toggle Autoplay on/off while using connected devices, such as Google Home, in version 1.1.74.625. If you don't have this version, no worries, we'll be rolling it out soon.

We'll be also working on making this option possible on mobile.

You can add your +Vote to this idea regarding an option to toggle Autoplay on/off across all devices/platforms. You can also Subscribe to the thread so you stay up-to-date with any relevant news about this.

Hope this clears some things up. If you need anything else, the Community is here for you.

Ver Moderator

May I know what are you talking about when telling about Google Home rolling out 1.1.74.625 when we're at version 2.46.1.7? Are you suggesting they are going to rollback? 

What platform is that on?

The Windows 10 app version I have is version 1.1.73 and the Android version is 8.6.84.
Edit - I read your comment again and it seems like you are referring to the Google Home app.
The version number mentioned here is the Spotify app.

Latest Spotify android app number is 8.6.84.1240. Mine is 1.1.73.517.gbef50fdb and it does not have that Autoplay option for connected devices. 

Hey everyone,

We've merged multiple topics on the matter to keep the boards clean.

As mentioned, we're working on adding an option to the Spotify App that will allow you to choose your preferred Autoplay setting for all devices that use Connect and the WebPlayer.

Currently it's set to first release on the Spotify desktop app in version 1.1.74.625 with adding the option on mobile to follow.

Check out and Subscribe to this idea for updates on the matter.

Cheers!

Ver Moderator

Hi, I am confused. I haven’t seen any clarification as to why the “hey google play song and autoplay” stopped working. I estimate this was a few weeks ago.  This will

be fixed? I use apple mobile and mini googles.

Suggested posts