Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

B&O and Spotify Connect

Solved!

B&O and Spotify Connect

I have troubles to use my Spotify Connect on my B&O A9.

They wont connect! just stuck on "connecting" for maybe 5 seconds, then continue on my phone, not the speaker, however Airplay works perfect! thats just not viable with my Android Phone and Windows PC. 

Is there any known issues right now? 

EVERYTHING is updated. Reset, rebooted, anything you can imagine, even fresh Spotify accounts. 

100 Replies

@HI @mzecherm, did you receive any details on the following statement?

@mzecherm wrote:

I just received an answer from B&O support team: "...we are investigating a better way to solve this with our developers". 

If so, please join the conversation on https://community.spotify.com/t5/Idea-Submissions/Keep-Spotify-Connect-available-for-B-amp-O-devices...

thanks!

Nothing yet. I really see it as empty words, the kind of stuff companies say when triying to buy some time.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure the A9 MK1 can be upgraded to MK2 since the device istelf is the same and probably only the motherboard and network adapter should be replaced. That shouldn't cost B&O more than U$50 considering the current price for such pieces. In fact, I would bet that the unsold A9 MK1 received that treatment 2 years ago and then were sold as Mk2 units.

I bought a chromecast audio for U$35 and it does a much better job than the A9 itself considering it supports 10 or 15 streaming services, but its a bad solution since you depend on chromecast's DAC and thus gives a lower sound quality. I can't understand why B&O put no optical audio input in such an expensive device....

The responses from both sides are unacceptable. If they insist in offering no fix I'll consider legal actions.

I'm considering legal steps as well. I don't think that a company is allowed to just delete a main function (and main selling point) of a product just like that without compensation, definitely not under consumer law in the European Union. I do think we're protected against this kind of strange company behavior by law.

It's like Miele just deciding to delete the centrifuge function of the washing machine and is advising you to buy another machine to do this instead.   

For me the responsible for this desaster is cleary Spotify, nor B&O. Think logically! Spotify has not only excluded devices from B&O, but a whole series of different brands and products. Why would all these brands put their reputation on the line and offer no updates if they were possible? If B&O loses an A9 customer, which costs on average 2000 €, then that is much more far-reaching than for Spotify. For the equivalent of 2000 € you have to be a subscriber to Spotify for 16 years if now you pay 9,99€/month!!! When I look at what Spotify is doing to all the running fans (and I'm really not into running) by killing the running function overnight, that tells me a lot about the company and its culture. And more than 500 votes do not convince them to rethink this decision. Do you really believe that we have more chances with our 120 votes? Spotify obviously do not care about their customers!

The company is currently preparing an IPO - the only thing that could really help in this situation would be if suddenly many subscribers would cancel their subscription! Believe me, the stock market reacts very sensitively to something like that! But as long as everyone stays true to the company, nothing will happen! If B&O, Yamaha, Denon and others could not oppose this decision, we will not be able to do it!

Since I still have an A7 at home, I just started my trial at Deezer and can only say that B&O and Deezer user experience is a lot better than this ever was with Spotify and B&O - music in FLAC format, better quality, you can listen to two different music streams (on A7 and iPhone simultaneously) - without a family accout! The Spotify app and the playlists there are much better, but you have to prioritize and I will not buy Chromecast for my A9 to stay with Spotify - I'll change the music provider as well! In a month, my trail subscription at Deezer expires, if until then Spotify does not respond, I go to Deezer!

For me the responsible for this desaster is cleary Spotify, not B&O. Think logically! Spotify has not only excluded devices from B&O, but a whole series of different brands and products. Why would all these brands put their reputation on the line and offer no updates if they were possible? If B&O loses an A9 customer, which costs on average 2000 €, then that is much more far-reaching than for Spotify. For the equivalent of 2000 € you have to be a subscriber to Spotify for 16 years if now you pay 9,99€/month!!! When I look at what Spotify is doing to all the running fans (and I'm really not into running) by killing the running function overnight, that tells me a lot about the company and its culture. And more than 500 votes do not convince them to rethink this decision. Do you really believe that we have more chances with our 120 votes? Spotify obviously do not care about their customers!

The company is currently preparing an IPO - the only thing that could really help in this situation would be if suddenly many subscribers would cancel their subscription! Believe me, the stock market reacts very sensitively to something like that! But as long as everyone stays true to the company, nothing will happen! If B&O, Yamaha, Denon and others could not oppose this decision, we will not be able to do it!

Since I still have an A7 at home, I just started my trial at Deezer and can only say that B&O and Deezer user experience is a lot better than this ever was with Spotify and B&O - music in FLAC format, better quality, you can listen to two different music streams (on A7 and iPhone simultaneously) - without a family accout! The Spotify app and the playlists there are much better, but you have to prioritize and I will not buy Chromecast for my A9 to stay with Spotify - I'll change the music provider as well! In a month, my trail subscription at Deezer expires, if until then Spotify does not respond, I go to Deezer!

just done, see here under a copy of it:

ive read and noticed myself that spotify has stopped support for the b o A9 recently. B and O states there i nothing the y can do about this, but i think you can. the mark 2 works with spotify connect, o the firmware of the mark 1 should be made compatible with this. alternatively there should be offered an upgrade price for the purchase mark 2 for the mark 1 users. i do think responsibility actually lies with b and o too as this is the company that charged a hefty sum for the purchase whereas spotify only charges relative little money for the subscription and last but not least b and o introduced this mk 1 at the time by saying it was spotify compatible, hoping to hear back from you. regards, SE

The last reply from B&O: 

It´s sad. They just ignore the issue and dont seem to feel responsible at all. I mean, why would they! It worked when they sold it two years ago! It cant last forever??!! What was I thinking. 

Nancy (BEOPLAY)

Mar 14, 05:05 CET 

Dear __

Thank you for contacting B&O Play Support regarding your A9. I am sorry to hear that you are frustrated with the issue.

Regarding your concern, I regretfully inform you that unfortunately we are unable to solve this for the 1st generation A9. This change was made by Spotify. We are not responsible for the changes made by third party companies.

We have not sold the 1st generation A9 since late 2015, so when it was still produced and sold, the Spotify Connect was indeed supported by the A9. However we can't guarantee that any third party products will work and be supported forever unfortunately. This is solely Spotify's decision that we don't have a say on their change. If you wish to make a formal complain, you may contact Spotify support for this matter.

Should you require further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Kind regards,

Nancy
B&O PLAY Support
Visit us at: B&O PLAYThe Journal and Facebook

I do not understand why everyone gets so upset about B&O. They are just one of the many brands (Yamaha, Denon, ...) that Spotify thwarted.
It's like being upset one day about the fact that no planes can fly anymore because the kerosene formula has been changed overnight.

I'm upset about not being able to use my A9 as before and being left with an expensive crippled device. As it looks to me both B&O and Spotify are blaming each other in some sort of way, disregarding the impact this decision has on the owners of the affected devices.... Most of all however i think a possible solution lays with Spotify as they have made changes that suddenly caused this problems. I do hope they take this feedback seriously and try to help us out here ...

I understand where you’re coming from but the frustration is that these companies (at least as far as my experience with B&O is concerned) are just rolling over and doing nothing. They themselves could put some pressure on Spotify to continue to support products that are just a few years old.  After all, why commit thousands of dollars to equipment that at anytime could lose one of its central features. The equipment manufacturers do have a stake in this. 

The reason is that B&O sold a product with the Spotify Connect built in as a feature in their product. When this feature is no longer available the consumer has a right to either get a similar product (2nd gen beoplay) that delivers what was promoted/sold when you bought it, ot to repair/upgrade the system so it still delivers this functionality. 

Spotify is also to blame of course, since they decided to remove support. 

But I believe B&O has the biggest responsibility since they sold me a product based on what seemed or should have been a collaboration with Spotify -and then, when Spotify moves on an for some reason stops supporting -they cant do anything or take no resonsibility at all. There should be some kind of agreement between these two companies before one can sell a product based on the other comapny. 

But as a consumer and my rights, the most important (just talked to the Norwegian Consumer Council) thing, is that I was sold a product with a functionality that doesnt longer excist -so my right is 1. get a similar product that works or 2 repair/upgrade so it works, 3 get my money back for my purchace

Is this something in which we van join forces as a group?

yes thats a godd idea, next to perhaps B and O giving their support on this too?

I understand your point of view, also I have written some complaints to B&O. But after thinking it all over, I came to the conclusion that only the one who was the first to refuse the support can be to blame.
It's nonsense that B&O hast to continue to offer Spotify support, what would happen if Spotify went bankrupt? Would B&O have to take back all the speakers and refund the money to the customers?
Do not get me wrong, I'm horrified by what's going on right now. But the way Spotify runs his business is typical of the new genaration of entrepreneurship - in the sense that if you do not like something, your problem, I will not change anything. And so Spotify behaves in other areas (Apple Watch, Running features, ...).

I created a facebook group where people affected can join and discuss what to do. Its called: 

Bring back Spotify Connect to the Beoplay a9

Please join the group. Maybe together we can put pressure on B&O/Spotify to find a solution. 

🙂

Just canceled my yearlong subscription with Spotify Premium for this very reason. Joined Apple Music instead. Using my A9 as wireless Speaker for my Apple TV now. Not Spotify Connect, but it is working, and does not get interupted by phonecalls etc, plus no battery concerns. Apple Music is actually not bad, and the Apple TV interface is nice. Using Siri to control music is suprisingly convinient. But i do hope a solution is coming anyway!! This is not OK!

Same problem here, my a9 is 2nd gen. It works when it came to my home last April, but can't connect to spotify since few months ago. 
Also, it lose the ability to connect as a chromecast device, my google home barely find it.
Thanks to Airplay, it's not just an expensive decoration.

Hold on - that shouldn't be the case right, with an MK2? Haven't heard any complaints from MK2 users just yet... that's weird, are you sure it's MK2? If you really have this issue you probably have the MK1 as well... 

i believe the Mk2 was affected as well, but can be fixed by a firmware update (which is not available for the Mk1), you could check via your BeoSetup app?

I definitely believe it’s MK2, listening music via Bluetooth so many times.

The automatically software update is always turning on, it’s that the same thing as firmware update, coz never see any button regarding firmware update?

IMG_9248.jpg

Suggested posts