I have the same Problem with BMW iDrive ID6 + Huawei Mate10P: BT-Streaming works well but the Spotify-App in my iDrive is just able to freeze the screen. Frustrating fact: if i connect my old Samsung S5, everything is fine with Spotify & idrive. After imagining what kind of function an old Galaxy can have and new Huawei not..... - i only installed manually the old Spotify-Version which is on the Samsung also on my new Huawei + disregard auto-update. Now, old Spotify works fine in Idrive ID6!!! - so the Bug is somewhere in the newest Spotify App. I hope you get it fixed with the next update....
Waiting for a new BMW and having a Mate 10 with Android 9, I really hope Spotify developers will soon solve this issue. It's been quite a lot of time since the experts were trying to solve it. So here's another long time Spotify customer concerned about the issue. So please, put it first in your priorities Spotify!!
Samsung Galaxy S9 here, recently updated to Android Pie 9.0, then Spotify app no longer loads in the car, just a blank screen. The app shows in the connecteddrive apps, but when open it's blank. Sometimes Audio passes through.
Via normal Bluetooth connection works fine, can pause/play next/back the tracks.
This must be an app problem. Already contacted BMW ConnectedDrive support, to let them know about this bug.
I too have the very same issue, it works with my old galaxy S6 without any android update, but will not work on my new S9+ , same issue, the icon is there but nothing happens when trying to connect... works fine with std bluetooth connection.. I took it into BMW this weeks and the technician demonstarted that it worked fine with his iphone6 ... but as soon as we connected my S9 it stopped working again... he confirmed it was an Spotify on android issue.
Please Spotify revert back to your old software to find a solution ASAP... as it is getting frustrating.
Right now Spotify is unfortunately the only option for usage in my BMW. But as soon as they support Deezer or something like that for android, I'm outta here. And don't underestimate the impact of word-to-mouth recommendation.
Not sure if it'll last for ever or if it works for you, too. But let's start at the begin:
1) You need to enable the developer settings
2) In the developer settings find Bluetooth AVRCP Version (Audio Video Remote Control Protocol) 3) It was AVRCP 1.4 (Standard) for me. I changed it to 1.6
4) In the car it did not work :(
5) I changed to 1.3 and restarted Bluetooth
6) Spotify App started in the car!! It took very long until the car loaded all data (Playlists...). In the Head Up Display the current playlist wasn't displayed and it showed "Loading" all the time. The music seamed to be a bit faster then normal and sometimes it stuck for a milisecond
7) Well nothing that i'd be happy with, so out of the car, change AVRCP to 1.5 restart bluetooth, restart phone
8) next time i was in the car spotify started automatically and the music was no longer speed changed :D
I'll check if this will be a durable solution. But maybe you can try to reproduce the solution, too. Have fun!!
Was an accidental discovery, when i wonder what AVRCP stands for google autocompleted my search "Bluetooth AVRCP" with "Bluetooth ARCRP bmw" and so i found this: