Premium

Country

Belgium

Device

Nexus 6P

Operating System

(iOS 10, Android Oreo, Windows 10,etc.)

My Question or Issue

So I have a BWM 1 series for about a week now and was able to connect spotify without any problems until it stopped working once i got back in my car two days ago. It still shows up in my apps, and sometimes I can click it and continue to the next screen but it doesn't load any further than that. I also get a notification on my phone that it's connected.

The problem started when I used the spotify app on my computer and connected to Sonos. But I already changed it in the computer app so the music plays from my computer itself.

The funny thing is that it does play spotify from my phone connected via bluetooth, just not from the app that's in the list.

Any idea how I can fix this? Already tried to reinstall the app, open the spotify app through the connected drive app, and disconnect/reconnect my phone.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Solution!

Guido
Spotify Legend

Hey all,

Thanks for all your feedback.

We're still looking into this on our end. We're not able to provide an exact timeline for a fix, but we really appreciate you letting us know about this. Don't forget to inform BMW about this as well.

We’ve blocked replies to this thread as we are not gathering more examples for now.

Have a nice day.

View solution in original post

457 Replies

dan1431
Roadie

I stand corrected, it was for a while of time marked as solved.

bldninja
Music Fan

Anyone tried the 13 december release 

dan1431
Roadie

I have and still now luck.

Gman1108
Casual Listener

Guys,

I'm using the iDrove 6 on my BMW.

The actual Spotify app isn't working as I'v seen in this thread, but...

When I change the mode the look at my Android phone it sort of  works. It picks up the current playlist from my phone and I can skip or or go back in that plalist.

BMW told me Spotify will be releasinga fix to this in January, so how would that work, do we need a firmware update on the iDrive or what I wonder?

dan1431
Roadie

BMW is not exactly trustworthy when it comes to 3rd party partners and
software fixes.

I spoke to a BMW Genius yesterday about this is issue and the "Genius" told
me that they are not provided info by 3rd parties (i.e. Spotify) regarding
software fixes.

In fact he told me that Spotify is offered as is and BMW does not guarantee
it's functionality.

I asked if he could let folks at BMW know about the issue and he said that
he does not have any method to do so.

I sincerely hope what BMW told the poster is accurate, but they gave me a
completely different answer.

bldninja
Music Fan

For your information. 

Emne: Re: Spotify BMW connecteddrive idrive6 [ref:_00DD0pxIW._5005720Pgmn:ref ]

Hello again Ståle,

Thanks for getting back to us.

We're still waiting for a feedback about it as of this time. Hopefully, it won't be too much longer before we've resolved the issue.

Thanks again for your patience, we really appreciate it.

Don't hesitate to let us know if you have any other questions for us. We're just an email away.

All the best,

Josephine

Spotify Customer Support

------------------

Emne: Re: Spotify BMW connecteddrive idrive6 [ref:_00DD0pxIW._5005720Pgmn:ref ]

Hello,

New version (8.4.84.874) is out 13. december.

Still not working with BMW idrive6 and BMW Connected.

Have to downgrade to version 8.4.77.779 to get it working again.

When is the fix comming?

Regards,

Ståle 

Norway

On 2018-12-11 03:30,  wrote:

Hi Ståle,

Thanks for reaching out to us. We know how important it is to use Spotify using the new version.

Many thanks for reporting this. Our tech folks are currently looking into it. A fix should be on its way soon!

If you have any further questions, please let us know!

All the best,

Josephine

Spotify Customer Support

dan1431
Roadie

In all seriousness, you have gotten more information out of Spotify than I have.

I even went as far as to Google for Spotify Android employees and found a few LinkedIn profiles.

I then had to go about figuring out Spotify's email naming convnconve, they don't have one. So I then had to come up with different name combos and I did manage to get an email or two to the kntendei recipient.

I did hear a word back, I again emailed Spotify and was told to contact BMW. I emailed BMW and CC'ed Spotify so that Spotify could see that BMW was passing the buck to Spotify and Spotify responds that if BMW won't help me than they have nothing else to offer.

Finally I started a new email to Spotify explaining that all I want is a new bug report and I included a link to this thread and the best I got is that they will forward the issue but could make no promises if it would get fixed.

You have gotten farther than I have, I still maintain that one should always take front line support's info with a grain of salt, but in this case at least you are getting some amount of tangible info.

Lastly, my wife ks quick to remind that while annoying, it is wholy a First World problem and I should keep some perspective on it.

emilime
Music Fan

for your information the same problems are also present in MINI Connected Drive.

I also accused MINI but they replied that it is a problem of Spotify app. I really hope they solve it soon.

dan1431
Roadie

I am not surprised that it also affects Mini as the infotainment system is a shared platform just skinned for the respective brand.

BMW and Mini are blaming Spotify shich on one level makes sense but on another level they are marketing the feature so they should be working with Spotify to get it fixed.

bldninja
Music Fan

Hi. 

What mode do you change in Spotify to get it to work? 

Gman1108
Casual Listener

I just changed to the actual phone. Then it picks up the storify playlist that I last played.

Kind of strange. Will wait for spotify to solve.

dan1431
Roadie

Same issue.

heimalis_
Casual Listener

Try downloading an older version of Spotify.

Link : {snip - link removed for security reasons by Community Moderator}

marccarney
Gig Goer

What about the proper fix?  Putting an old version on there is a workaround not a solution.

Will you be forever stuck on an old version of Spotify for eternity?

Any news from Spotify Developers when we can expect an update that will work?

marc

AshAlex34
Gig Goer

My idea is just to get Spotify to work with the connected drive which for me was extremely frustrating,it allows me to use all the functions I need. I agree this should work with the latest build but this obviously needs to be addressed by the Spotify Developers and not us users. Being a paid subscriber to Spotify I would love to see this work on the new build too however I am happy not to update the app to continue using this feature. Hope Spotify sort this out on their next version.

dan1431
Roadie

The downloading and use of an older version is fine in the interim, but at the end of the day Spotify should correct whatever caused the issue to begin with.

My biggest complaint, is not that the issue occured, but that nobody seemed willing to take responsiblity. I first contacted BMW and they blamed Spotify and then I contacted Spotify and they blamed BMW.

That is passing the buck and it does not solve the issue, it simply leaves me feeling frustrated and gets me out of the front line support person's hair.

AshAlex34
Gig Goer

I agree , definitely Spotify at fault on this one though, they need to atleast address the issue and say we are working on a solution and it will be fixed on the next build.

dan1431
Roadie

I cannot speak for Spotify directly, but that seems to be a problem with many tech companies, communication is lacking.

Regardless, I do agree that Spotify should take responsibility and let us the customer know that they are working on it.

dan1431
Roadie

I got an update for Spotify today, I do not know if it has fixed the issue pertaining to this thread or not as I had already driven my car for the day.

If anyone else is able to test, please post to update the thread.

chrislhurley
Regular

Not good news I'm afraid. Still reliant on the old version. 

AshAlex34
Gig Goer

Thanks for trying , clearly our rants our falling on deaf ears. Spotify clearly arent bothered.

SUGGESTED POSTS