Premium

Country

Belgium

Device

Nexus 6P

Operating System

(iOS 10, Android Oreo, Windows 10,etc.)

My Question or Issue

So I have a BWM 1 series for about a week now and was able to connect spotify without any problems until it stopped working once i got back in my car two days ago. It still shows up in my apps, and sometimes I can click it and continue to the next screen but it doesn't load any further than that. I also get a notification on my phone that it's connected.

The problem started when I used the spotify app on my computer and connected to Sonos. But I already changed it in the computer app so the music plays from my computer itself.

The funny thing is that it does play spotify from my phone connected via bluetooth, just not from the app that's in the list.

Any idea how I can fix this? Already tried to reinstall the app, open the spotify app through the connected drive app, and disconnect/reconnect my phone.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Solution!

Guido
Spotify Legend

Hey all,

Thanks for all your feedback.

We're still looking into this on our end. We're not able to provide an exact timeline for a fix, but we really appreciate you letting us know about this. Don't forget to inform BMW about this as well.

We’ve blocked replies to this thread as we are not gathering more examples for now.

Have a nice day.

View solution in original post

457 Replies

dan1431
Roadie

I am not sure it is deaf ears as much as probably none of the Android engineers drive BMWs and thus are not experiencing the issue themselves.

Added to that, it probably doesn't help that this thread is marked as solved, a work around is not solved.

Regardless if I have some free time I am going to try and Google around for Spotify Android Engineers and then try and email a few and see if that helps and I would encourage others to do that as well.

marccarney
Gig Goer

I installed the later version and it's exactly the same behaviour in the car, so it hasn't worked for me.

The BMW Connected says on the Hub screen "The following apps have been certified by BMW and can be used in your vehicle" , Spotify being one of them.

Does this mean it's no longer certified?

dan1431
Roadie

I honestly do not know one way or the other, but my gut says that there would have to be a major change for Spotify to be suddenly decertified by BMW.

Plus, Spotify still works with iOS, so my gut says it is a bug and not a policy change.

marccarney
Gig Goer

Why does this thread say 'solved' when clearly it is not solved.

Can someone please re-open it until a real solution is provided?

awaken138
Casual Listener

Thank you very much!
You saved my day. Current Version is still not working. 

chrislhurley
Regular

Just a thought. (I totally agree that it is NOT solved) Whilst Spotify is the problem, I would have thought BMW will not be happy to discover that none of their latest models, with their wonderful iDrive, are working with Spotify when their marketing will probably be claiming as such? Does anyone have a connection with BMW at a senior level to stir the pot?

dan1431
Roadie

Another update to the Spotify App today, I am currently out of the area and cannot test it myself.

So if anyone is able to test it, please report back.

Paul89
Casual Listener

It looks like Spotify has many newer versions beyond 8.4.77.779, anyone try out the newer versions to see if they work? Hope they fix this as I don't want to disable auto updates in the play store as this is pretty nice to have all my apps update w/out my active involvement..

dan1431
Roadie

I am on version 8.4.81.558 which I received today.

I am outta town and cannot test it, but that is the latest according to the Play Store.

mgoblue62
Casual Listener

8.4.81.558 not working for me.  Went back to old version using link above. Sad Spotify, really sad.  (Premium subscriber with family plan)

marccarney
Gig Goer

Mine didn't work with either of these recent updates.

Can suggest that for everyone affected raise a support case each with Spotify.

Send your email to:  support@spotify.com

dan1431
Roadie

I attempted to open a support case and was told that front line support does not have any method to let Engineering know about issues.

All they could do was attempt to resolve the issue with the customer, which obviously wouldn't be useful for this issue as it is a material change in the software and not a user controlled type of issue.

Regardless others might have better luck as front line support is the luck of the draw on who you get.

marccarney
Gig Goer

I have created a support case with Spotify for this issue and have linked it to this thread and the other similar thread.

Hopefully Spotify will update the threads in due course.

marc

Araeftw
Casual Listener

Same problem....Was working fine....then nothing work the next day

AshAlex34
Gig Goer

I can confirm that it is definitely the Spotify App which is the culprit. One month old BMW 420D ...everything was working including Spotify...then suddenly it stopped working.

I flashed the previous version of Oreo...No good, I unistalled Spotify and installed version 8.4.77.779 which was the version I had when I bought the car and voila everything works. Have set the playstore not to auto update my apps now. Hope this helps!

Get it right Spotify...Updates are supposed to fix problems not create them.

Snowsurfer71
Casual Listener

I have been really frustrated by this problem too - tried everything and resigned to just using normal Bluetooth - just found this thread and installed the slightly older version of Spotify as you have suggested - it now works! I am very grateful for this solution. Thank you. For less techy people you download the correct older version of Spotify as listed, then uninstall current Spotify app from your phone, then click on and install the downloaded version. Yes, you do need to temporarily allow 'download and install from untrusted sources' but just set it back after.  And yes you will need to disable auto updates of apps until they fix it or it will be a short lived solution!

AshAlex34
Gig Goer

Snowsurfer71 I wouldnt use the word "solution" as it is just a workaround I found 🙂

Glad you have got it working.

Ash

dan1431
Roadie

It is exactly that a workaround, I pointed the workaround out to Spotify support, so hopefully they pass that info and this thread in general to their Engineer's who can compare the code changes and fix whatever the issue is.

HendrikRhl
Music Fan

Hey guys,

I'm from Germany and I just got my new BMW 225XE, Spotify is also not running in Germany. Since BMW's folks are nearly all German, I am going to contact them in German the next days after christmas, hoping to see some changes, this is really embarrassing, one of the biggest car producers in Germany not able to fix a simple Spotify integration.

Marry Christmas,

Hendrik

dan1431
Roadie

Any updates from BMW AG in Germany?

Asklepi-OS
Regular

I asked my local BMW car dealer , they claim to have no knowledge of any problem . 😠

SUGGESTED POSTS