Premium

Country

Belgium

Device

Nexus 6P

Operating System

(iOS 10, Android Oreo, Windows 10,etc.)

My Question or Issue

So I have a BWM 1 series for about a week now and was able to connect spotify without any problems until it stopped working once i got back in my car two days ago. It still shows up in my apps, and sometimes I can click it and continue to the next screen but it doesn't load any further than that. I also get a notification on my phone that it's connected.

The problem started when I used the spotify app on my computer and connected to Sonos. But I already changed it in the computer app so the music plays from my computer itself.

The funny thing is that it does play spotify from my phone connected via bluetooth, just not from the app that's in the list.

Any idea how I can fix this? Already tried to reinstall the app, open the spotify app through the connected drive app, and disconnect/reconnect my phone.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Solution!

Guido
Spotify Legend

Hey all,

Thanks for all your feedback.

We're still looking into this on our end. We're not able to provide an exact timeline for a fix, but we really appreciate you letting us know about this. Don't forget to inform BMW about this as well.

We’ve blocked replies to this thread as we are not gathering more examples for now.

Have a nice day.

View solution in original post

457 Replies

jonibegood
Casual Listener

Fixed by uninstalling on my S9 and reinstalling the old version via the link on page 1.

I also use Spotify via Android Auto on my VW. Works really well. BMW need to stick to building cars and let Apple/Android run the apps.

Abonet
Regular

Here is a fix that works as suggested by the user above. Google old apks of Spotify and then download one from November. Make sure you turn off automatic updates from Google play. Then the Spotify icon will appear in connected drive like it used to

georg94
Regular

In my opinion a downgrade of an application cannot be called a "fix" this is a workaround. It would be really nice if spotify can address this bug in the next update or even better as a hotfix.

tickneb
Casual Listener

I can't get mine working on any of the old versions. Frustrating! Same seems to have happened with audible on Android also! 

marccarney
Gig Goer
Same here, I thought it was because I changed my phone (now android 9) and
the workaround using the old version is also not working for me any more.
It seems to be getting worse, not better.

tickneb
Casual Listener

Also on Android 9 , seriously thinking of moving to iPhone. Tested on iDrive and every app works. Spotify, audible.. etc

marccarney
Gig Goer

I've had a little response from BMW based on my review of the BMW Connected App" in the Google Play store.  I've pasted their response below.  BTW, I did already raise this issue with Spotify with a direct email to their support.

Hi Marc. Sorry to hear you're having issues with Spotify. A fix would need to be implemented by Spotify in order for your problem to be resolved. Please reach out to their support team to explain your issue and request a solution. We're always working to improve the app and its features, so stay tuned for new app updates. -BMW Connected Team

andrey85s
Music Fan

Hi guys, this morning I got from Playstore an update of Spotify. So with this new release I can listen to spotify through the app on my iDrive6, but still the screen is blank and I can't control spotify via BMW. I'm really disappointed , is it working for you? I have a BMW Series 1.

ultraomnis
Casual Listener
Thank You for this hint. So we can avoid to install this update.

ultraomnis
Casual Listener

I hope there will be a solution soon. The last thing I would do would be to switch to  iPhone. 😞

ultraomnis
Casual Listener

I also made it work with an old version from November. Unfortunately Spotify is disturbed by a phone call and doesn't continue running after that. Does anyone know this problem too?

Abonet
Regular

You're right. Has disappeared for me now and cant figure out how to bring it back. Super annoying @spotify can't figure this out.

FamilyPremiumUs
Casual Listener

Hello,

I have exactly the same problem. The Spotify app shows up on iDrive menu but on click nothing happens. It used to work before Spotify app update.

Please Spotify team fix this issue and next time consider testing bmw connected drive integration before releasing any version. 

Thx

marccarney
Gig Goer

Has anyone here asked BMW about the problem?

Though it's clear to me that the Spotify update broke it, and it stayed broken, I'm thinking now of raising an issue with BMW directly, or might speak with my local BMW main dealer about it.  It's simple mis-selling if they sell a car with a feature that is then taken away later without notice.

MikeAllen
Casual Listener

I wonder whether there was an update to Spotify's API or similar. As far as I can work out, the car instructs the phone to launch the BMW Connected app, and then BMW Connected launches the Spotify app. I presume the car then continues to talk to the BMW Connected app, which in turn instructs Spofity to play/pause/skip/etc. It'll also be asking for track lists, playlists, etc. It'll be doing that via an API.

I own a Samsung Galaxy Watch and the Spotify app for that has also stopped connecting to Spofity installed on my phone. At the exact same time, if I had to guess.

In fact, I've just found the Github page for the Android SDK - https://github.com/spotify/android-sdk/releases. It got an update 7 days ago and on the 17th Oct before that. Perhaps BMW need to update the Connected app to use the latest version, as do whoever makes the Spofity Galaxy Watch app (Spotify themselves?).

marccarney
Gig Goer

Quick update to my last post on this subject,  I've just emailed bmwconnecteddriveATbmwfin.com which hopefully should get through to someone at BMW who will listen to this..

andrey85s
Music Fan

I wrote an email to BMW couple of weeks ago, but no response from them.... I m really disappointed, now I m using an older version of Spotify, but in general the experience is very bad! 

andrey85s
Music Fan

Same problem for me... As soon as i start the app via the iDrive the display is blank and i have no sound   Please fix it!! 

jns2001

BMW 5 Series 2016 - Spotify stopped working, I am very **bleep**, this is the second time, the other one was when they discontinued support for the Bang &Olufsen 1 1/2 year old A9 MK1. It is just a total disrespect for premium customers. I will start to reconsider other players.

KerimT
Casual Listener

Exat same problem here. BMW i3 2018 - Samsung Galaxy Note 9

marccarney
Gig Goer

There's a common theme emerging here...

Do we know if anyone from Spotify has acknowledged that there's a problem; and have they passed it to the developers to fix?

marc

SUGGESTED POSTS