Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

BMW ConnectedDrive not working

Solved!

BMW ConnectedDrive not working

Plan

Premium

Country

Belgium

Device

Nexus 6P

Operating System

(iOS 10, Android Oreo, Windows 10,etc.)

My Question or Issue

So I have a BWM 1 series for about a week now and was able to connect spotify without any problems until it stopped working once i got back in my car two days ago. It still shows up in my apps, and sometimes I can click it and continue to the next screen but it doesn't load any further than that. I also get a notification on my phone that it's connected.

The problem started when I used the spotify app on my computer and connected to Sonos. But I already changed it in the computer app so the music plays from my computer itself.

The funny thing is that it does play spotify from my phone connected via bluetooth, just not from the app that's in the list.

Any idea how I can fix this? Already tried to reinstall the app, open the spotify app through the connected drive app, and disconnect/reconnect my phone.

457 Replies

I cannot speak to 8.5.90.722, but I can speak to 8.4.90.722 and it does not
fix the issue.

how do you download an old version of spotify on an android phone?

Firstly remove, if installed the lastest current version, but that's obvious..

Then google it (Spotify 8.4.77.779.apk) from your android device. Download it (apkmirror), allow installation from unknown sources (you'll be prompt when trying to install the download), disable automatic updates (in playstore settings), install it. 

@stevenliv wrote:

how do you download an old version of spotify on an android phone?

I've download it from here https://apkmirror.com/apk/spotify-ltd/spotify/

Been following this thread with constant updates for the past 4 months. If you've come here with this problem, think you can safely assume Spotify will never fix this.., what % of Spotify users own a BMW, <1%?

Agree.

I'll try the latest update tomorrow, if the problem persists i will stop my family subscription. My decision will make no diference to Spotify but I don't care. Enough working alternatives.

have tried downloading  8.4.77.779   and now spotify does not even show up in my idrive. Any suggestions or should i try an older version--if so which?

You tried?, or you have downloaded it? Are you sure you have installed it? Check the version in app details via system>>apps. If 8.4.77.779 is installed it will work. 

Maybe you'll need to restart the phone/bluetooth connection with iDrive.

But first make sure you have the version above.

In my case even with this old version, connection is sometimes lost, therefore it is definetly not a permanent solution.

Good luck!

Installed and tried rebooting. Does not appear in idrive. Might an older
version work.?

It's now working with the old version of Spotify  Surely that shows that the problem is with Spotify not connected drive?

New update doesn't work as well. Also annoyingly my old version 779 also stopped working last week. It was anyway quite laggy when it worked 

It was working perfectly with my old Samsung S6, a month ago I switched to a Samsung S9 and from the beginning I have not managed to run the application on Connected Drive. I'm going to try again with the S6 as is. In parallel I installed in the S9 the version of spotify that is advised in the forum. I will return with the results

Well, enough is enough for me... Switched to Deezer. Recreating my playlists wasn't as nearly as difficult as I had imagined.

I recommend the same for for everyone. Being a developer myself, I know no regression issue this obvious takes long to fix. Spotify simply does not care about their Android iDrive users. bye.  

Deezer is not an alternative for Android users. BMW does not support Android Auto (whyyyyy?) and afaik there is no native iDrive support for Deezer 😞

I said goodbye to Spotify last month having discovered that Deezer was already available as part of the Connected Drive package on my 218. So I’m not missing Spotify at all despite getting an email from them apologising for the problem “but perhaps I would like to look at their guide on how to load Spotify on my car”. That was the final straw as they hadn’t even realised that the had a problem. Well done to all who have at last got them to listen but I am not waiting!

Deezer is available through the connected drive and therefore utilises the vehicles in built data sim, rather than your phone sim (as Spotify does). You don't need Android Auto for it to work as everything runs from the connected drive app. I have attached some photos. I moved my playlists from Spotify using MOOVAL and signed up with Deezer directly instead of using the BMW Entertainment Service as I got the first month free and also 6 consecutive users for the family.

Deezer doen't seem to be available for "Business Navigation" models, lacking the internal hard drive i think? So Android users have only one choice : Spotify 😞

@KerimT wrote:

Well, enough is enough for me... Switched to Deezer. Recreating my playlists wasn't as nearly as difficult as I had imagined.

I recommend the same for for everyone. Being a developer myself, I know no regression issue this obvious takes long to fix. Spotify simply does not care about their Android iDrive users. bye. 

It is taking a long time, there is no question about that!

Part of the issue is that BMW really does not care about aftersales (well really all automanfactureres don't care about aftersales) and do not feel a need to move quickly and if (and I am assuming here but it does stand to reason) Spotify needs BMW's input on this issue, well then it is going to take some time, unless we the customers light a fire under BMW which is extremely hard to do.

We have done all we can by getting Spotify involved and in fairness they really only got officially involved as of a few weeks ago and somewhere someone was told by the end of the first quater, so they do have some time left. I have played with Deezer and it does work properly with BMW ConnectedDrive with BMW Apps (I think it requires iDrive 5 or 6) and if we hit the end of Q1 and no progress nor updates, I will switch to Deezer, but for me, I am going to stick it out till then.

I am fairly sure the issued is not on BMW's side because older Spotify Versions we're working before so some update they made must have broken the functionality.

I am really disappointed by the lack of communication here.

I subscribed to Spotifys beta app channel which gets updates every day and it's still not working and I can guarantee you it will take a good while until a fix makes its way into an official Spotify update. Really disappointing!

Can anyone with legal status comment on whether this issue could warrant
class action case? I've been listening to only the radio for the past
weeks because of this snafu. It's also left me fiddling dangerously with
the idrive trying to get it working while my thoughts should be elsewhere.
Meanwhile my Connected Drive app still says that 'Spotify is certified by
BMW' and can be used in my vehicle. They can't even be bothered to change
that wording to something more accurate. This is much like non delivery of
paid for services and should be eligible for legal redress. The feature
was advertised in the sales brochure for the car, after all! Aggh.

Suggested posts