BMW ConnectedDrive not working

Solved!
Highlighted

Re: BMW ConnectedDrive not working

Casual Listener

I have a 2019 BMW X1 with connected drive and a Iphone 8 (IOS 12.2) everything worked perfectly until the last week.

The bluetooth connects, spotify app is not automaticaly opening, I open it manually on the phone and the driving advice is not appearing, so the car has no control on the app. The spotify logo is not appearing on the car, so I can´t navigate or search with connected drive...

Music starts, and then stops playing suddenly, if more than a song is played, the screen metadata in not changing.

I need help, I hate listening to radio!!

Highlighted

Spotify Legend

Hey everyone,

If you're having issues with BMW ConnectedDrive, we recommend you reach out to BMW about this.

Make sure your devices are always up to date. 

Have a nice day! 

Highlighted

Roadie

Dear Ms. Hendriks,

Does your latest reply mean that Spotify has closed this issue and is no longer going to investigate it? If so, I am greatly dissapointed and now even more frustrated about the entire situation.

Firstly, I in case you do not know the history of the issue it started back around the end of October, early November 2018 and it took a very long time for one of your colleagues to even acknowledge that there was an issue and that it was being investigated and since then very little info has been provided about the issue.

Secondly, if one contacts BMW about this issue (like I have) they squarely blame Spotify and suggest the customer contact Spotify. Now Spotify via your post is suggesting contacting BMW and that is called Pass the buck, (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buck_passing).

Thirdly, as Spotify, you by virtue of being a big company have ways of contacting the right folks (at BMW) and getting the info in front of their eyes that myself a customer lacks the ability to.

I would kindly suggest either clarifiying your post or speaking with the folks who provide this sort of info to you and kindly suggesting that they re-open the investigation and if Spotify feels that they are not the cause of the issue, that they reach out to BMW on our behalf.

After all many of us pay you for Premium memberships and drive BMW and would like to use Spotify in our cars like we used to do.

Highlighted

Casual Listener
Really???

I have the latest version of spotify on my phone 8.5.6. and has issues... my husband has the same phone but 8.5.5. version and works properly on the same car?!
So I suggest to search bugs and issues on your latest version and don’t blame BMW.
Its easier to change to apple music than buying a new BMW.
Regards,
Alejandra

Highlighted

Music Fan

Hey Spotify mods, 

If you actually read any of the posts on this topic and others from paying users doing your app testing for you, you'd understand that we aren't having issues with BMW ConnectedDrive, we are having issues with Spotify. This includes multiple devices, multiple auto makes/media systems, and various versions of your software (including the latest versions).

Luckily this is all easily solved by canceling subscriptions and going elsewhere. Bye. 

Highlighted

Regular
A very naive response - I very much regret that spotify simply don't understand that the problem is spotify. NOT BMW. I left months ago but hoped that all would be fixed so I could return. No fix = no return.
Highlighted

Gig Goer

To be honest, it is not BMW or Spotify, but both of them. Current Spotify verions are not compatible with BMW software. And in my mind it is BMW's responsibility to get the BMW working as advertized even if the root cause would be the Spotify app.

There is also this view. I'm using Spotify literally at least in 10 differnt HW and environments. And guess what, BMW is the only one not working... Also the last update to BMWConnected app (now talking about Android version) made Spotify partly working. So if it chicken or the egg, I don't care, but these two leading brands should get this finally solved. It's more than 6 months we have had this issue

Highlighted

Music Fan

Obviously Spotify changed their API or something like that so that BMW is unable to get the current songs/queue with their code made for the old one. So both of them would be able to fix the problem. 1. Solution: Spotify again changes their API so that BMW can work like 2 months ago, second way: BMW updates their code so that it works with the new one. But for now, everyone of them is blaming the other one, hoping that they can save some work and testing. Pretty sad to be honest

Highlighted

Gig Goer
jariolle is exactly right. I bought the car partly because of this great
feature, which I read all about in the glossy brochure.

M
Highlighted

Music Fan
I also had many environments where Spotify works fine. Just playing on my phone, web player on laptop, streaming via vanilla BT - basically anywhere that doesn't require a software integration. Casting to Google Home/Chromecast is also fine. But across the board, any use case where I am controlling Spotify from another device and not within the app/web player itself (on multiple types of mobiles devices) - it is broken for me in the newer Spotify versions. So in my perspective, the common issue is Spotify's post-November 2018 versions and thus they have responsibility to fix what they broke. Suppose BMW comes out with a fix. Great - now I'm still left with broken integration to my Kenwood and Pioneer aftermarket units, as well as if I ever decide to get a Mercedes (granted, only one test event while I was renting one). I wouldn't call that success. And responsibility aside, I would hope at least the motivation would be better on Spotify's side. Spotify is more likely to lose more customers if this problem doesn't get resolved. As a few of us have already shown, much easier to drop/replace a streaming service than swap out your vehicle.
SUGGESTED POSTS