Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

BMW ConnectedDrive not working

Solved!

BMW ConnectedDrive not working

Plan

Premium

Country

Belgium

Device

Nexus 6P

Operating System

(iOS 10, Android Oreo, Windows 10,etc.)

My Question or Issue

So I have a BWM 1 series for about a week now and was able to connect spotify without any problems until it stopped working once i got back in my car two days ago. It still shows up in my apps, and sometimes I can click it and continue to the next screen but it doesn't load any further than that. I also get a notification on my phone that it's connected.

The problem started when I used the spotify app on my computer and connected to Sonos. But I already changed it in the computer app so the music plays from my computer itself.

The funny thing is that it does play spotify from my phone connected via bluetooth, just not from the app that's in the list.

Any idea how I can fix this? Already tried to reinstall the app, open the spotify app through the connected drive app, and disconnect/reconnect my phone.

457 Replies

same thing for me. Got my new car this January. Spotify integration never really worked (Google Nexus 5x). I am really really disappointed with both Spotify and BMW. I used to drive BMW for quite a long time. BUT .... well, this is not the service i had in mind. 

Can someone contact BMW again for another update?  Better yet, could Spotify contact BMW directly and find the problem?

Hi, I am very frustrated too about the issue, but I don't think we have to blame Spotify about it.

I also have a BMW series 1 and I am amazed at the low-quality level of their entertrainment platform. It is uber **bleep**. For my experience, BMWs never scored well on the technology side.

The problem is with the Connected App an the way it connects with your phone, not with Spotify.

Just for the sake of it, I tried to use an iphone NOT using the carplay feature, and have experienced similar issues: the apps (Spotify and Stitcher) get stuck at some point.

In order to have things running smoothly, my suggestion is to get an iphone and use carplay if you have it.

Ahhhh I thought I was alone in this frustrating situation.

bought a bmw a couple of months back , seemed to connect Bluetooth wise initially , then it dropped  and no matter what I did it wouldn’t come back , mysteriously reappeared and worked fine for a month , now it’s gone again ... 

I have deleted phone , constantly dropped Bluetooth reconnected ... to no avail .. anyone with current idea to get it back ? 

I have a BMW with CiC Navi Professional. Spotify with an iPhone 5 via BMW Apps worked great until a few days ago. It will not work after updating the Spotify app. Other apps like TuneIn work. Spotify does not switch to this BMW mode anymore. Unfortunately, I do not know which version was installed before the update, now it is 8.5.16. Does somebody has any idea? Has the support of older BMW systems been discontinued or is there a bug in the current version?

Same problem since the last spotify update. Can't see the app in my BMW. Tried everything but often happens after updates

I have the same problem, Can't see the app in my BMW.

Hey guys,

I'm using the Spotify app on my Mini JCW, with a Samsung Galaxy S10+. Everything is working fine except that I'm unable to skip tracks using the steering wheel buttons. I can do it with the radio buttons of the screen buttons but nothing happens using the steering wheel ones, just a message saying "Loading". Does anyone has the same issue with a BMW/MINI?

Yes, I am having that same exact problem.  Does anyone know what spotify or BMW has said recently?

Simple answer is nothing. No communication from Spotify or BMW on this. What annoys me is that BMW are advertising Spotify integration when they know full well it's not reliable. Their app has something to do with it too, I think. I get the impression that BMW software development are poorly staffed, but other manufacturers are now leaving them behind. There seems to be a poor collaboration between BMW and Spotify.

Yes, time goes by and nothing happens. I guess BMW customers are really a small part of Spotify customers. And none of these companies care about us.

BMW is not really known for their stellar software development.  Compared to Spotify which is constantly updating their software.  Maybe the fault is with BMW software.  Does anyone know how to tweet BMW and show them this thread so they understand our frustrations?

I also would like some sort of transparency from Spotify.  Could you please let us know what you did previously to fix the problem?  Or what you possibly think could be the problem?

BMW and Spotify just blame each other when asked. Neither seems interested in actually solving the issue.

While BMW's app/software development is certainly not the best (after all, they are an auto company, not a software company), I actually believe the problem is NOT on their side. Spotify stopped working with MANY different auto integrations, both manufacturer and aftermarket, starting with a Spotify app change in late 2018. This is well documented in this and other threads.

Spotify is a software company. Spotify made a change to their software that broke many integrations with other devices. Thus I believe it is Spotify's responsiblity to fix it, either by correcting their software change or being the leader in working with their many integration partners to help them adapt to whatever changes are happening.

In my work I deal with HR and Payroll systems. Often the system where someone's salary/wage is stored is different from the system that actually calculates paychecks, withholds taxes, and actually sends direct deposits - sometimes multiple payroll systems because, for example, different countries use different systems. If we ever had an HR system that changed something about their integration scheme that resulted in multiple payroll systems not properly receiving the data they need, I would fully expect the company behind the HR system to be the ones addressing the problem, not the payroll providers. Whoever created the problem needs to be the lead in fixing it.

In Spotify's case, they have made it very clear that they do not intend to address the problem they have created.

EDIT: for me resettin connection in my iPhone X helped and now spotify seems to be working

Reset your Network Settings. Tap Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. This also resets Wi-Fi networks and passwords, cellular settings, and VPN and APN settings that you’ve used before. 

Since I was really missing my music and not beeing able to use spotify via bluetooth I discoverd that after disabling bluetooth on the phone and using USB connection in the car it is possible to stream music from the app to car (still without spotify app in the car system, so steeringwheel buttons are not working). Until they fix it it's the best I figured. Because bluetooth connection seems to be completly messed up...  (iPhoneX and bmw F20LCI )

Any updates?

Still can’t see the Spotify App in my BMW. Playing songs via Bluetooth works though...

Same here, I have never seen the spotify app on my car display ever (BMW F20 LCI from 2016). Bluetooth has always worked just as the steering wheel buttons. No Spotify app wireless or with the usb cable.

I've downgraded the spotify app to version 8.4.49 and it works again

Marked as solution

Hey all,

Thanks for all your feedback.

We're still looking into this on our end. We're not able to provide an exact timeline for a fix, but we really appreciate you letting us know about this. Don't forget to inform BMW about this as well.

We’ve blocked replies to this thread as we are not gathering more examples for now.

Have a nice day.

Suggested posts