Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[BUG] Spotify Connect only shuffles 100 songs

[BUG] Spotify Connect only shuffles 100 songs

When using Spotify Connect, Spotify only shuffles 100 songs of my playlist (containing 800+ songs).

Steps to reproduce: (Perform all steps on Desktop, except opening Spotify - Android app when instructed)

1. Normal Behavior (Desktop only):
    1. Open Spotify - Android
    2. Open playlist with 500+ songs
    3. Sort by artist
    4. Play first song
    5. Open Play Queue
    6. Toggle shuffle several times, noting "NEXT SONGS" populates with a random sampling of ALL songs in the playlist.
  2. Buggy behavior (Spotify Connect to Android device):
    1. Turn off shuffle
    2. Reopen playlist
    3. Play first song
    4. Open Play Queue
    5. (On phone) Open Spotify - Android
    6. Connect to device: Android
    7. Toggle shuffle several times, noting "NEXT SONGS" populates with a random sampling of ONLY THE FIRST 100 SONGS.

Spotify for Windows: 1.0.24.104.g92a22684

Spotify Android App: 4.7.0.878

51 Replies

Today would be a good day for Spotify to fix this issue.

It looks like this bug is fixed. Is it also fixed for other people?

No. Reinstalled Spotify on my iPhone, still only plays first 100.

How did you test? Did you update anything?

Interesting... I was not able to reproduce this on Spotify on my Android phone. That is not to say it is fixed because I have only spot checked. Some spotify comms on the issue would help.

I cannot say whether this is completely resolved or whether the max shuffle has been upped from 100 songs to a higher number (hopefully 4000+). I have also not tested this on other platforms such as my TV or audio receiver yet, as both have native spotify apps installed.

To test:

1. Open a playlist with more than 100 songs.

2. Click shuffle play.

3. Confirm song is not in top 100 of the playlist songs.

4. Press skip.

5. Repeat steps 3. and 4. until a sufficient sample of records past the first 100 has been observed.

I made this playlist for to make testing easy:

https://open.spotify.com/user/pukingpope/playlist/7GqMenMu6bQLDByDlyw1Fg?si=Qe_RgERBTjqv4FbOs5tcSA

250 tracks, whereof the name of 50 starts with A, 50 with B, 50 C, 50 D and 50 E.

Check that it's sorted by trackname, and start playing with the first song.

Check that Shuffle is turned on, and hit next a number of times.

You will easily see if all track names starts with A and B only.

Also, anywhere you start in the list, if it plays only the 99 closest tracks to the one you currently are playing, the 99 before or 99 after, it will never show more than three different starting letters.

No, I was wrong. The bug is also not solved for me. Somehow I got a shuffle from a long playlist from my laptop, through my phone, on my audiocast. But it was still a limitied playlist, and when I shuffled again I got the standard shuffle of 100 songs from the 3000+ playlist.

So it is not solved, sorry to give you new hope. It would be nice if this finnaly got fixed by spotify. 

I have done some more testing using the playlist from pukingpope.

Casting to my TV only shuffles 100 songs, as does casting via my car's Bluetooth.

So still not fixed 😞

Edit: typo

as of 1/8/19 it has not been fixed

Agree.  Today would be a good day to fix this Spotify. Drives me crazy! Spotify connect to Sonos...renders the connect function to shuffle a playlist pointless and so makes spotify to sonos useless if you want to use the spotify plaftform and not the sonos one.

If you want to use the Spotify app (to keep recently played etc) to sonos the only way to do this is through connect, there is no aux or blutooth workaround. So effectively there is no way to shuffle large plaglists......ultra frustrating!

Strangely It does not do it if you connect to spotify through the sonos app. So must be anything that uses the connect function.

Does not happen over blutooth so connect must be restricted or plain broken for random shuffle mode of large playlists!

Please sort ASAP!

Did someone tried apple music? Maybe they are better in that as spotify. Ive no time for building hundreds of playlists. I just want to shuffle my music library and im using spotify connect for my audio video receiver to listening my music on my hifi system. This is a real stupid problem for a music streaming service!!!!

Not tried apple music...but close to doing so. The simple fact is that spotify connect is limited to 100 songs. So playlists over 100 songs do not work. Particularly if you want to shuffle them. The only workaround if you are using ios is instead of connecting through connect ..connect through airplay. If your on anndroid your **bleep**!

New update ...still no fix

Today would be a good day to fix this!

and this is not an algorithim problem as in "not random" ....   shuffle with Spotify connect just plain doesnt work right!!!!!!!!!!!!!

These solutions won't work for everyone,  however in my case I went back to Sirius for my travels, and using VLC, which has a shuffle play-list or Am_zon Pr_me on occasion,  for my house.  I still have Spotify,  after all it's only $10 bucks a month, but I find myself using it less and less.

Hopefully they will come to their senses.  Spotify is convenient and could be indispensable if they didn't limit secondary devices to a 100 song shuffle.  It seems though that a play-list on the original sign up device is still full shuffle - but that limits me to my office.

Whats the actual reason that connect cant handle more than 100 songs? As far as i can see this problem goes back as far as 2016 and still no solution. Cant possibly be finacial can it?...... The most annoying thing is they actually try and talk you through a fix..please reset this reset that , change your wifi channel , reset all your devices . Blah blah **bleep**ing blah .**bleep**! Sonos just says spotify can only handle 100 songs on connect.  Full **bleep**ing stop!

As more people move from blutooth and aux to wifi streaming this will be a massive issue.

The streaming world is moving foward spotify are you?

New update . Still no fix.

Today would be a good day to fix this

Still no fix

still no fix

These Spotify shuffle issues amount to FRAUD.

It's been two years and this is still a problem.

It occurred to me that a good workaround would be to shuffle the Daily Mix playlists on devices  since they have less than 100 tracks but of course the Daily Mix playlists aren't on the Roku.

Spotify - please fix this problem. 

Suggested posts