Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[BUG] Spotify Connect only shuffles 100 songs

[BUG] Spotify Connect only shuffles 100 songs

When using Spotify Connect, Spotify only shuffles 100 songs of my playlist (containing 800+ songs).

Steps to reproduce: (Perform all steps on Desktop, except opening Spotify - Android app when instructed)

1. Normal Behavior (Desktop only):
    1. Open Spotify - Android
    2. Open playlist with 500+ songs
    3. Sort by artist
    4. Play first song
    5. Open Play Queue
    6. Toggle shuffle several times, noting "NEXT SONGS" populates with a random sampling of ALL songs in the playlist.
  2. Buggy behavior (Spotify Connect to Android device):
    1. Turn off shuffle
    2. Reopen playlist
    3. Play first song
    4. Open Play Queue
    5. (On phone) Open Spotify - Android
    6. Connect to device: Android
    7. Toggle shuffle several times, noting "NEXT SONGS" populates with a random sampling of ONLY THE FIRST 100 SONGS.

Spotify for Windows: 1.0.24.104.g92a22684

Spotify Android App: 4.7.0.878

51 Replies

Theres a simple way how they could fix it. I think the problem is because of some overhead, the same problem has Kodi if someone knows this. If you try to shuffle a big library, Kodi will crash. Kodi creates a "partymode". In this partymode Kodi takes random 20 titles of your library and shuffle them. If all tracks are played, Kodi takes the next 20 titles and shuffle them and so on...

I dont know why spotify isnt able to do this, this could be also possible for specified playlists.

Strange. My android device is now shuffling propererly over connect. Tried various large playlists and it does seem to be randomised across artist, genre, date added etc. My ipad however still has the same fault. ..anyone elses android seem better?

Screenshot_20190426-193016_Spotify.jpg

Spotify Connect is now finally working (at least for me)!

I guess they haven't announced it yet, as they want to see it is stable and/or working on most equipment.

6000+ playlist, iPhone / MacBook with NAD M12/M22.

Works for me too on Linux with Spotify Connect to my YAMAHA Audio Receiver.

Awesome, thanks spotify.

I am giving this a partial PASS only. I used pukingpope's playlist from earlier in this thread as a test.

When I play a playlist from my Android device, the shuffle appears to work as expected when casting via Spotify Connect to either my laptop or my Android TV.

However, when I do exactly the same thing from my laptop and cast it to my phone or TV, it only shuffles the "first" 100 songs as before.

On a whim, I decided to try the browser player on my laptop as an additional test. I was able to cast music via Spotify Connect to my TV and it shuffled fine. 

The only place where it is not currently working is on my desktop Spotify app.

I am kind of OK with this because I would generally only cast from my phone. I would prefer a more complete fix, but maybe the desktop app will be updated in the near future with this fix.

Hmmm, as I posted the previous comment, Spotify on my desktop prompted me to update. After the update, casting via Spotify Connect to my TV or Phone works fine from my desktop as well now.

I can now sleep soundly tonight knowing that my music collection can be used the way it mean to be

Its a miracle!

Now just to fix the fact there is no crossfade option over connect..........

Today would be a good day to fix this!

Hey there @D_Cas, @Pukingpope,  @pLeXwithFleX and  @MBSteve,

Thanks for keeping us in the loop!

Glad to hear all's working as it should now 🙂

Don't hesitate to give us a shout if there's anything else we can help with. We'll spotify:track:4Gl0cgJY72rzNTDXsUHJVj

KaterinaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself! 

I've experienced the same "connect shuffles only 100 songs"-bug on some private parties. It was awful. The people got bored from repeated songs over and over again.

Any fast way to prove if it is fixed? Thank you 🙂

Shuffle is still broken.

I have a playlist with over 1300 songs, and whenever I shuffle it only queues the first ~100 songs. This happens on my phone, my Yamaha musiccast and my computer. 

How hard is it to play ALL songs in a random order when i press shuffle?

It's seriously a damn joke that we pay for this service every month and they can't implement a very basic feature that's been around since the discman in the early 90s. Please Spotify. If anyone is listening, just give us an honest, working, algorithm free shuffle feature that cleanly and simply just plays all songs on a playlist in random order with no catches, just pure, clean mathematical random simplicity. Please I beg you. I know you can do it. 

Another critical issue with Shuffle where the “random” sequence is always the same: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Other-Podcasts-Partners-etc/Shuffle-in-Spotify-for-Tesla-is-produci...

Suggested posts