Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Blackberry 9320 Offline Tracks

Blackberry 9320 Offline Tracks

Hi - at home when connected via WiFi I can sync my playlists into offline mode and play them in offline mode with no problems.  When I am at work I cannot play offline tracks in offline mode.  The track just will not play, volume won't work etc.  Surely there is no need for a clean connection when in offline mode - the downlaoded tracks should just play through the App even if there is no connection available?

11 Replies

@corbetta wrote:

Hi - at home when connected via WiFi I can sync my playlists into offline mode and play them in offline mode with no problems.  When I am at work I cannot play offline tracks in offline mode.  The track just will not play, volume won't work etc.  Surely there is no need for a clean connection when in offline mode - the downlaoded tracks should just play through the App even if there is no connection available?

Does it work if you sync your offline tracks, then force offline mode by going to Settings > Offline mode and then try it in work? 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

I'll give that a go, thanks.  I've just reset all my playlists on the BB and resynced at home.  I've gone offline and they are playing.  I'll leave it offline then try playing in the morning on the train, then at work.

Frustrating!  I did as you suggested Peter but as soon as I got to work and tried to play a track, it just opens the 'now playing' window on the BB but there is no access to the play button, the album art is not displayed, even though it is still in offline mode!

Is it sensing a network connection in the background (wi-fi) and because there is a firewall it is somehow casuing this issue?  Perhaps if I ensured my wi-fi was turned off before I get to work, so it doesn't connect, I might have better luck?

I would have thought that 'offline' meant 'offline'!!

@corbetta wrote:

Frustrating!  I did as you suggested Peter but as soon as I got to work and tried to play a track, it just opens the 'now playing' window on the BB but there is no access to the play button, the album art is not displayed, even though it is still in offline mode!

Is it sensing a network connection in the background (wi-fi) and because there is a firewall it is somehow casuing this issue?  Perhaps if I ensured my wi-fi was turned off before I get to work, so it doesn't connect, I might have better luck?

I would have thought that 'offline' meant 'offline'!!

Strange, can you start it in offline mode if you turn all of your connections off (airplane mode)? 

Peter

Peter

Hi Peter - same problem, today!  Turned off all connections and offline tracks not playing.  Also Exiting the application after trying to play a track causes an 'exception error' on the BB after hanging for quite a few minutes.

1. Last night I resynced all playlists whilst at home with Wi-Fi on.  I selcetd three playlists and set them all to Offline and watched all the tracks download
  2. I switched off the Wi-Fi, set Spotify to Offline Mode, and played a few tracks - they played OK
  3. This morning I got on the train - WiFi was still switched off from the previous night
  4. I tried to play an offline track (same one as last night) and get the same issues, including crashing when exiting the App and tracks not playing, no album art, play/fwd/rwd buttons cannot be selected.  Even the volume buttons on my BB do not operate when spotify is in this 'mood'!
  5. Tracks stored on my BB do play i.e. mp3s held as normal media, and volume/play controls work fine

Luckliy I am on a three-month free trial so I'm not too concerned, but it would be nice to understand what the problem could be.  the only things i can think of are:

My Blackberry is set up for Enterprise - could this be affecting the performance of the App - if so, why only sometimes?

Thanks for your suggestions so far!

Andy

Can you try (even at home) rebooting your device, turning off all of your connections, so WiFi, mobile network and bluetooth - the whole lot. Then try and open Spotify and see if it will open and play? 

Asking one of my friends they said they get strange behaviour when the app detects an available connection eg via the mobile network but Spotify is blocked on that network and the connect never appears to timeout.

Peter

Peter

OK Peter  -  playlists cleared and resynced at home.  Couple of playlists set to offline.  Spotify in offline mode.  Device off - Device on, all connections off (WiFi/Mobile/Hotspot/Bluetooth).  Tried playing a track and it works fine - at home!

I will leave all connections off and try again tomorrow.

Fingers crossed

Thanks again for your help (and your friend)

Andy

It all started off so well!  When I got on the train this morning, still with all connections OFF, and Spotify in Offline mode, my first track started to play.....for about one minute, then it stopped playing and the application hung.  Rebooted device, relaunched Spotify, back to the same problem.

Maybe this is all due to my BB not being 'officially supported' but I'm sure the Operating System is pretty much the same as BBs that are supported.

I'm going to try again at home tonight and play a few tracks all the way through to ensure they don't stop.

(I have noticed, that even thoguh all connections are off, when Spotify first opens the little 'connection' symbol top right is showing one bar, as if it is picking something up, but that soon changes after a few seconds to say 'off'.)

it's all a bit of a mystery!

Very strange!

It might be worth removing Spotify, making sure you manually delete all of its files once you uninstall (since uninstalling doesn't actually appear to delete everything - the folder locations change so have a dig) and then install it again, only synching 1 single playlist and see if it then works. 

When you have started the application on the train and it frozen, how long did you give it before rebooting? I wish I didn't have to say it but temporary lock ups where pretty common on my BB with Spotify but it would recover eventually. 

Peter

Peter

This is a bit more interesting.  Firstly the Spotify support guy has reset my devices for me (just in case - I only have one device anyway).  I've done what you suggested and synced one playlist.  I've turned all my connections off and started playing a track - it got to 1:03 (one minute threee seconds) and it stopped - I've left it frozen for   15mins   and it is still frozen.  This is all at home. 

I'm going to tey installing the app on an iPad......

...that worked fine - no issues with offline tracks!

I'm going to put this down to having an Enterprise Blackberry which must have soem restrictions somehwere.

BTW, how do I ensure all folders and files are deleted on the BB after unistalling - I can only seem to see folders/files on my media card - is that what you mean?

Kudos given thanks!

@corbetta wrote:

This is a bit more interesting.  Firstly the Spotify support guy has reset my devices for me (just in case - I only have one device anyway).  I've done what you suggested and synced one playlist.  I've turned all my connections off and started playing a track - it got to 1:03 (one minute threee seconds) and it stopped - I've left it frozen for   15mins   and it is still frozen.  This is all at home. 

I'm going to tey installing the app on an iPad......

...that worked fine - no issues with offline tracks!

I'm going to put this down to having an Enterprise Blackberry which must have soem restrictions somehwere.

BTW, how do I ensure all folders and files are deleted on the BB after unistalling - I can only seem to see folders/files on my media card - is that what you mean?

Kudos given thanks!

Yeah they will all be in one place, if you uninstall the app from BlackBerry World and then delete that "Spotify" folder which it sounds like you have done that is it all gone! 

Sorry we couldn't get it to work!

iPad is a little less tempermental, so if you need any help with that just make a new topic and someone will be happy to help! 

Peter

Peter

Suggested posts