Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can someone explain the "Popular" section on an artists page?

Can someone explain the "Popular" section on an artists page?

I can see it's not based on # of streams. For example, Drake Bell's song "It's Only Time" has only 76,566 streams, but "Makes Me Happy" (Ready Steady Go! version) has way more at 316,698. But they are placed at #9 and #10 respectively. If it was placed by # of streams, his top 10 should be "Makes Me Happy" (682,154), "I Know" (653,586), "Bitchcraft" (527,878), "I Found a Way" (515,941), "Makes Me Happy" (316,698), "Found a Way" - Acoustic (239,000), "Sunny Afternoon" (227,589), "I Won't Stand In Your Way" (191,258), "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" (169,498), and "It's Still Rock and Roll To Me" (163,355) and that is clearly not how it's set up, as shown on his page. https://play.spotify.com/artist/03ilIKH0i08IxmjKcn63ne

2 Replies

This has not been very well explained but here's an attempt.

The sorting of the tracks on the popular section of an artist is determined by the number of streams in a frame time. The number at the right does means how many times has been played since the beginning but this data is not used for sorting.

I've wondered about this, so in my abundant free time I kept checking a few of my fave artists top 5, and developed a theory.... Using your examples....

Im thinking it's a. "trending" thing ? If the song is getting played more often, like DriveFlanger said, than the # of plays per let's say 14 days has gone up for "It's Only Time" , and has surpassed"Makes Me Happy" ..... You'll likely see "Makes Me Happy" # s level off some, and "it's only time" # s grow.

If anyone else has a different take on it, or if Spotify has the "real"😄 answer, please share!

Suggested posts