Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can't connect my premium Spotify account with new Sonos

Solved!

Can't connect my premium Spotify account with new Sonos

I have a brand new bridge & Play 3. It works fine using iTunes - but when I try to connect to spotify (where most of my music lives), I have a problem. I'm following these instructions:https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1166

I get to step 4 but not to step 5. Instead I get this message: Error
There was a problem authorizing the account.

Please check your internet connection
Then go back and try again.

If the problem persists, please contact Spotify for help with your account.

I've tried a number of things but I simply can't get past this page. I never make it to the screen on step 5 here:
https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1166

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Thank you so much for your persistence in helping me tackle this problem.

All my devices are Apple - laptop, phone. I checked the IP addresses via the router; my laptop is 192.168.1.6 and the Sonos bridge is 192.168.1.11. 

But going in there to check the assigned IPs led me down a bit of a rabbit hole of router settings. I was definitely in over my head, but I know enough to be dangerous. In any case, some googling turned up that Spotify needs port 4070 open. I added it to my Verizon FIOS router port forwarding, and it worked. 

Thanks again for all of your time helping me figure this out!

View solution in original post

15 Replies

Are you logging in using Facebook or a Spotify username and password? 

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

I don't even get that far, I don't get a chance to login to anything. 

What country are you in?

Peter

I'm in the United States. I checked both my Spotify account and my Sonos account; they both show the United States as a location. But when I login to my spotify account, the url says UK.

That shouldn't really make a difference (the pages just localise using cookies - you can change the country in the bottom right corner of any page on the Spotify website).

Is your Sonos system up to date?
https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/226

Peter

I double-checked my Spotify and my Sonos registration to confirm that i have a country listed in both.

I checked for updates but it said my Sonos system was up-to-date.

Thank you!!

Do any other internet enabled services work on your Sonos? Wondering is this a general connection issue, since iTunes is streaming locally I would imagine?

Having a dig through the archives, it appears we have had a similar case here on the community which was solved remotely by Sonos Support: http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Other-Partner-Devices/Unable-to-connect-to-sportify-through-Son...

It might be worth getting in touch with them, since you aren't even getting far enough for this to be a Spotify authentication issue.

Peter

Thanks for all the help. I've got a parallel ticket on Sonos but they seem to think the problem is with spotify. I tried to connect my two other accounts - Pandora connected to Sonos succesfully, but I had the same error message with my amazon cloud account.

Not a massive fan of the "blame game" myself, so lets continue! 🙂

Is your internet run through a proxy, VPN or company network at all?

Peter

No proxy, no VPN, no company network. Residential Verizon FIOS.

Digging a little deeper, this might be a router/bridge IP address issue which someone has reported before here. Do you have an android or iOS device you could install the Sonos Controller app on? Might also be worth checking the IP addresses which they outline as I could see why that would cause this issue. 

Peter

Marked as solution

Thank you so much for your persistence in helping me tackle this problem.

All my devices are Apple - laptop, phone. I checked the IP addresses via the router; my laptop is 192.168.1.6 and the Sonos bridge is 192.168.1.11. 

But going in there to check the assigned IPs led me down a bit of a rabbit hole of router settings. I was definitely in over my head, but I know enough to be dangerous. In any case, some googling turned up that Spotify needs port 4070 open. I added it to my Verizon FIOS router port forwarding, and it worked. 

Thanks again for all of your time helping me figure this out!

No worries at all! Very jealous would love to be able to afford some Sonos gear! 😛

Enjoy your music and thank you for sharing your solution! 🙂

Peter

Can't link spotify to my sonos. I can get deeper but I want spotify. Please help someone!,,

@Martinw02-gb 

From the sonos help page:

https://support.spotify.com/problems/#!/article/Sonos

Combine Spotify and Sonos for the ultimate home music experience.

Spotify Premium subscribers can enjoy on-demand access to Spotify on their Sonos devices. You can:

• Access the Spotify catalogue of over 30 million tracks.
  • Search tracks, albums, and artists.
  • Browse and play your playlists.

Sonos devices
You can control your Sonos system from the Sonos controller, the Sonos iPhone app, or any computer and stream different tracks to different rooms of the house, all in pitch perfect sound quality.

To create, modify, or share playlists, head over to the Spotify desktop app.

Spotify on Sonos is available in all Spotify launch countries.

Need help?

For questions related to Spotify with Sonos not regarding your Spotify account itself, please visit the Sonos support site using the links below.

Please note that a Spotify Premium subscription is required to access your Spotify account within Sonos and your software should be upgraded to at least version 4.1.

You can contact support here:

https://www.spotify.com/about-us/contact/contact-spotify-support/

If you get an automated reply email telling you to check the help section or the community, you need to reply back to it.

Support usually replies within 24-48 hours.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Suggested posts