Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can't play Podcasts over Spotify Connect with Yamaha Musiccast

Solved!

Can't play Podcasts over Spotify Connect with Yamaha Musiccast

Hi, 

I cannot play Spotify Podcasts through Spotify Connect with my Yamaha Musiccast units. I have been in contact with Spotify support, but have not been able to get help more than verifying that I through a test account can play the podcasts on e.g. Alexa units. Seems to be a Musiccast problem; anyone else having this problem and maybe found a mitigation? 

Problem occurs both before and after latest firmware upgrade 

42 Replies

Ps, it doesn't hurt to give my ideas post about re-labeling a like 😉    https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/All-Platforms-Connect-re-categorise-podcasts-as-AUDIO-so...

I just assumed that my AV-receiver shouldn't have a problem playing mixed media files, but maybe connect-wise it's an 'audio only' device.

I can see your point, so Spotify has to take action and relabel the podcasts!

It's an either/or solution if the theory is correct. But thanks for adding the info that SOME Musiccast devices will play Spotify podcasts.

I have just sent Yamaha a support request again regarding firmware. Hopefully one or the other will take some action. Yamaha has not updated a single device since August -_-

It's a firmware issue.🙄

a2050.jpg
v777.jpg

I'm afraid its a Yamaha problem. When playing a Podcast i can't select my Yamaha devices. But I can select my Sonos One.  

update: I got a MusicCast 20. This one can play Spotify Podcasts. And it can seed the podcasts to my older Yamaha's.

Yes agree, 

This is a Yamaha Issue and I have got a response, orally, from Yamaha support that the slightly older models, some of them still on the market though, will not be updated to latest Spotify API versions, which is required. Also, I have got confirmed from inside Spotify that WX-010 and WXA-050 are NOT certified with Spotify Connect... probably have never been.

So the complaints on this should go to Yamaha falsely marketing products for being Spotify Connect certfied. One could think that Spotify should follow-up their partners a bit better to protect both their own IPR and their customers. 

I just bought a WXA-50 and can confirm that podcats don't work on it. ☹️

How old, did they say?  I know the YAS706 box has a Spotify logo on it. I feel like Yamaha should have an inherent commitment to making sure services run properly on products they say support those services.  But what do I know.

I have an RX-V777 and an RX-A2050 receiver. The V777 is a year older model with a firmware from December 2017 and it plays every podcast via Spotify perfectly.🙄

Interesting, my system's latest FW update is from March 2019 and it chokes on the podcasts.

That's not true. At least now, in 2020. Spotify Connect works just fine, streaming their own podcasts to chromecasts and other devices. Even to Yamaha WXAD-10 (MusicCast device). But not WXC-50, not RX-V781 and not WX-030 for some stupid reason.

Oh it's true for me.

It's just that Yamaha is not updating Spotify API on their older models, e.g. WX-010, WX-030, WXA-50 and WXC-50 (the latter two are current models), see full list: 

https://europe.yamaha.com/en/products/contents/audio_visual/musiccast/update_models.html.

Those models may never have been certified by Spotify and are definitely not now: 

www.spotifygear.com

Yamaha proves not to be a very futureproof vendor if you don't want to update your hw every 3-5 years.  

Hi, I have discovered that Spotify cannot connect (ie cannot see) my Yamaha WXC-50 unless both Spotify and Yamaha are connected to the Internet using the same WiFi connection.
I had my WXC-50 connected via Ethernet cable and all worked beautifully until the recent update of Spotify. Yamaha deny that there is a problem. To be fair, Spotify documentation does state that the devices should be connected to the same WiFi, I took it to mean to the same router. The whole point of using a cable was to get better bandwidth, now they'e made it impossible. Not happy.

Same here with a WXA-50. Can only play podcasts via Bluetooth. Bought this unit recently and would not have bought it if I knew this, and that there may not be an update enabling this. 

Have same problem with all my Yamaha devices.

RX-481 and ISX-80

Via Amazon TV Stick it's possible to play all content as far as I know.

Screenshot_20201027-072701.png

Hey everyone,

Thanks for reaching out to us 🙂

It's a good idea to head here and check out the requirements to use Spotify Connect. If the device is compatible, you can give these steps a go.

Alternatively you can try playing your favorite songs via Bluetooth.

Hope this helps. We'll be right here if you have any questions.

Ver Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!
Marked as solution

Yamaha needed more than a year, but finally they released a new firmware for my receiver what fixed the issue.

spotpod.jpg

Marked as solution

Hi, 

Thanks for the update! After firmware upgrade on my WXA-50 it works as well. 

I started this thread June 9, 2018, so almost 2.5 years and at last Yamaha can say that they actually support what they claim in their marketing. WXA-50 and WX-010 are still not certified on https://spotify-everywhere.com/ though.

Yamaha seems really lousy in maintaining their products. To be fair, I have got the offer to send the equipment back after a lot of complaints from my side, but what I wanted was a solution. 

Marked as solution

Can confirm update on the YAS706 as well!  It sure took them long enough, and not for any lack of information from the community itself.  

*Some* faith restored I guess?  

Side question for anyone, what settings do you use to improve the surround performance?  

Can confirm podcasts working on WXA-50 after firmware update! Yay! No more futzing around with Bluetooth. Thank you, Yamaha!

Suggested posts