Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can't play music in web player or desktop app.

Solved!

Can't play music in web player or desktop app.

I'm a Spotify Premium user on Windows 10 and I've been unable to play my music in the desktop app or in the web player today. There are a few different things it does to me:

1. If I'm streaming, it plays for a couple seconds, then goes silent even though the time continues to move along as though the song is still playing.

2. If I've made the playlist available offline, it plays for some amount of time (nothing really regular, anything from 5 seconds to a few minutes) and then stops playing entirely with no error message (and won't let me start playing again) or stops playing and tells me the song isn't available.

3. I haven't been able to use a specific way to reproduce this, but sometimes it just starts randomly skipping around songs without playing anything at all.

I've tried:

1. Uninstalling and re-installing the Spotify desktop app (3 times, using different installer downloads).

2. Using the Spotify web player (it does the same thing as in number 1 above, plays for a couple seconds then goes silent).

3. High quality streaming and no high quality streaming, though this shouldn't matter as I'm a current premium user (just signed up a week ago).

4. Unchecking "Enable hardware acceleration."

5. Unchecking all the local file sources (shouldn't matter, this is a new computer as of last night and I don't have any of my music on here yet, but I tried it anyway).

I've also contacted customer support to see if they have more ideas, but I'm at a loss here. Spotify has never done this to me before, and started getting like this almost as soon as I signed up for premium. Has anyone else been experiencing this, or know what's going on?

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Of course, as soon as I broke down and asked for help, figured out the solution!

The computer I'm on is one that I literally built last night. What does that mean? New motherboard and OEM version of Windows 10. What does that mean? Stock audio drivers from Windows (or, maybe, no audio drivers at all - not sure). All I had to do was install the drivers from the CD that came with the motherboard. Seems to be working fine now, I haven't had any skips or stops in streaming for the past few minutes.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Marked as solution

Of course, as soon as I broke down and asked for help, figured out the solution!

The computer I'm on is one that I literally built last night. What does that mean? New motherboard and OEM version of Windows 10. What does that mean? Stock audio drivers from Windows (or, maybe, no audio drivers at all - not sure). All I had to do was install the drivers from the CD that came with the motherboard. Seems to be working fine now, I haven't had any skips or stops in streaming for the past few minutes.

Since I signed up for premium, when I try to play songs on my smart tv, most of them show the slider moving but there is no sound. About 1 in 3 actually play. It only happens when I am using the web os device. And it consistently does this. I have to fast forward to the next song and then the next and the next until it starts one that actually has audio. It is rather useless. If I can't get an answer I will be dumping Spotify and going back to Pandora. The "SOLUTION" is no solution at all. There is no PC involved in the problem. I tried starting Spotify on my iPhone and then selecting the web os device. Same result as if I start the smart tv spotify app.

Suggested posts